Cartoon Network Looney Tunes Schedule - Week of 11-16 - 11-20-09

This read-only board is an archive of posts which list the contents of classic cartoon compilation programs.
Geezil

Postby Geezil » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:40 am

Moving on to today's LTs, now (as I write this) we come to "Gorilla My Dreams," among my least favorite Bugs Bunny shorts of all. It must be the determined absence of humor (oh, wait a sec...Robert McKimson directed; now I remember).
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

Mibbitmaker

Postby Mibbitmaker » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Interesting juxtrapositions today. First, it was a Clampett/McKimson festival (McK animating for all the Clampetts). They split Taz up between Bugs and Daffy. Also, it was the Bugs & Daffy Show. And the last two Clampetts had our heroes harrassed throughout by a menace (Man from the Draft Board, Gremlin) in World War II themed shorts.

Also, as has been the case in more recent times, "The Big Snooze" was uncut (woo!).
I do this kind of stuff to 'im all through the thread.

PF9

Postby PF9 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:06 pm

a.a.p. takes week one 17-15 over the WB-owned color cartoons
"Let's bury the hatch-, I say let's bury the hatchet, but not in our cartoons boy!"

~ - Foghorn Leghorn on cartoon censorship, from "Crowing Pains" (original line altered) ~

In other words, air the LT cartoons as they were originally released. I appreciate being able to watch them on TV again, but eventually CN needs to stop censoring them.

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Two uncut WWII-era Clampetts where the usually victorious protagonists get flummoxed by obnoxious little guys. If John Kricfalusi was watching today, he would have loved it.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:04 pm

The Big Snooze was shown the the dubbed ending, but Falling Hare was shown with the original ending.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

Mark J

Postby Mark J » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 pm

The cartoons that aired this week that are not on LTGCs:

Jones: Beanstalk Bunny, Hare-way to the Stars
McKimson: Daffy Doodles, Design for Leaving, Bedevilled Rabbit, Ducking the Devil
Davis: Bone, Sweet Bone
Freling: Catty Cornered, Dog Pounded

I think it makes a good case for the future release of more of Freling's Sylvester & Tweety toons on dvd since there are obviously many more great ones that are not yet on dvd.
I think it also makes a good case for less McKimson, and demonstrates how far he dropped from making funny well animated shorts in the mid 40s like his first, Daffy Doodles, to unfunny, blandly animated stuff like Design for Leaving and Tazmanian Devil clone shorts.

Bristol

Postby Bristol » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Mibbitmaker wrote:Interesting juxtrapositions today. First, it was a Clampett/McKimson festival (McK animating for all the Clampetts). They split Taz up between Bugs and Daffy. Also, it was the Bugs & Daffy Show. And the last two Clampetts had our heroes harrassed throughout by a menace (Man from the Draft Board, Gremlin) in World War II themed shorts.

Also, as has been the case in more recent times, "The Big Snooze" was uncut (woo!).

Actually I think there was a minor cut in The Big Snooze. On CN bugs only took 1 sleeping pill, but doesn't he take several in the original cut? Elmer did look cute in his leaves.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Bristol wrote:Actually I think there was a minor cut in The Big Snooze. On CN bugs only took 1 sleeping pill, but doesn't he take several in the original cut? Elmer did look cute in his leaves.

No, he always took just one pill.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:No, he always took just one pill.

I'm relatively surprised (but happily so) that the sleeping pill part has been put back in. It's not too often that a scene gets restored after it's already been snipped.

Mike

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Mark J wrote:The cartoons that aired this week that are not on LTGCs:

Jones: Beanstalk Bunny, Hare-way to the Stars
McKimson: Daffy Doodles, Design for Leaving, Bedevilled Rabbit, Ducking the Devil
Davis: Bone, Sweet Bone
Freling: Catty Cornered, Dog Pounded

I think it makes a good case for the future release of more of Freling's Sylvester & Tweety toons on dvd since there are obviously many more great ones that are not yet on dvd.
I think it also makes a good case for less McKimson, and demonstrates how far he dropped from making funny well animated shorts in the mid 40s like his first, Daffy Doodles, to unfunny, blandly animated stuff like Design for Leaving and Tazmanian Devil clone shorts.

I still don't understand the hatred of Mckimson, or Taz for that matter. There were only 5 Taz cartoons, yet he remains one of the most popular cartoon characters of all time. McKimson was the longest-employed of all the Golden Age Warner animators, starting in the Harman/Ising era and continuing until the final cartoon in 1969. He made some bad cartoons, but he also made some of the very best. Leave the poor guy alone...he made just as many great cartoons as any of the others.

Return to “What Aired Today?”