Cartoon Network Looney Tunes Schedule - Week of 11-16 - 11-20-09

This read-only board is an archive of posts which list the contents of classic cartoon compilation programs.
Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:"Claws for Alarm" was broadcast UNEDITED?!!!!???? That HAS to be a first for this cartoon!

Back when CN acquired the rights to the post-48 package that aired on Kids WB, this cartoon had aired uncut all the time. "Scaredy Cat" was regularly shown uncut as well.

Initially, the only cartoons to air edited were "Ballot Box Bunny", "Southern Fried Rabbit", "Fowl Weather", "Rebel Without Claws", "Daffy's Inn Trouble" and "Bugs Bonnets". There may have been a few more, but that is all I can think of right now. This was way back when the only edits that CN ever made involved suicide gags, and racial stereotypes against blacks and Asians. It was not until after the Nickelodeon package was acquired that CN began to edit out Native American stereotypes, hanging by a noose, and attempted suicide.

Funny thing is, the edits to "Bugs Bonnets" were eventually reinstated, much like the edit to "The Big Snooze".
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Steve Siegert wrote:Back when CN acquired the rights to the post-48 package that aired on Kids WB, this cartoon had aired uncut all the time. "Scaredy Cat" was regularly shown uncut as well.

Initially, the only cartoons to air edited were "Ballot Box Bunny", "Southern Fried Rabbit", "Fowl Weather", "Rebel Without Claws", "Daffy's Inn Trouble" and "Bugs Bonnets". There may have been a few more, but that is all I can think of right now. This was way back when the only edits that CN ever made involved suicide gags, and racial stereotypes against blacks and Asians. It was not until after the Nickelodeon package was acquired that CN began to edit out Native American stereotypes, hanging by a noose, and attempted suicide.

Funny thing is, the edits to "Bugs Bonnets" were eventually reinstated, much like the edit to "The Big Snooze".

Wow, this takes me back. I didn't have CN on my cable when they first got the Kids WB post-48 package, but those same cartoons also started running on TBS and TNT around the same time. I recorded TBS' Looney Tunes show every single day. In fact, most of my copies of those cartoons in my collection to this day are my TBS recordings. Another one that aired edited initally was "Frigid Hare" (Bugs' line about not having to return to work until July, 1953). Oddly, TBS would edit the end to "Barbary Coast Bunny" to remove Nasty Canasta getting shot in the face, but I don't think CN ever touched that.

Anyway, I also seem to recall CN alternating between prints of "Daffy's Inn Trouble". You never seemed to know what version they'd run. In fact, the usually edited bit of Daffy shooting himself in the face was often used in CN and Boomerang promos!

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:09 am

Jon Cooke wrote:Wow, this takes me back. I didn't have CN on my cable when they first got the Kids WB post-48 package, but those same cartoons also started running on TBS and TNT around the same time. I recorded TBS' Looney Tunes show every single day. In fact, most of my copies of those cartoons in my collection to this day are my TBS recordings. Another one that aired edited initally was "Frigid Hare" (Bugs' line about not having to return to work until July, 1953). Oddly, TBS would edit the end to "Barbary Coast Bunny" to remove Nasty Canasta getting shot in the face, but I don't think CN ever touched that.

Anyway, I also seem to recall CN alternating between prints of "Daffy's Inn Trouble". You never seemed to know what version they'd run. In fact, the usually edited bit of Daffy shooting himself in the face was often used in CN and Boomerang promos!

"Frigid Hare", I remember that edit now. It was most likely because the year 1953 was not relevant to present tense.

As for "Daffy's Inn Trouble", I do recall seeing that edited scene in promos, but never once do I recall seeing the cartoon itself air uncut on any of Turner's networks.

I do remember seeing the edit to "Barbary Coast Bunny" on TBS, but you're right, CN never touched it. I think I still have a June Bugs recording that is uncut. CN also aired "Horse Hare" and "Tom Tom Tomcat" quite a few times before they decided it was no longer acceptable to air cartoons with Native American stereotypes.

But, the sad thing is, as CN got closer to having exclusive rights to the Looney Tunes, they got to be more censor happy, probably because ABC/Kids WB/Nickelodeon all had more viewers for Looney Tunes prior to their disappearance from those channels. At least we have the privilege of being able to look back and remember when CN was a good source for "mostly" uncut cartoons.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:22 am

Mark J wrote:The cartoons that aired this week that are not on LTGCs:

Jones: Beanstalk Bunny, Hare-way to the Stars
McKimson: Daffy Doodles, Design for Leaving, Bedevilled Rabbit, Ducking the Devil
Davis: Bone, Sweet Bone
Freling: Catty Cornered, Dog Pounded

I think it makes a good case for the future release of more of Freling's Sylvester & Tweety toons on dvd since there are obviously many more great ones that are not yet on dvd.
I think it also makes a good case for less McKimson, and demonstrates how far he dropped from making funny well animated shorts in the mid 40s like his first, Daffy Doodles, to unfunny, blandly animated stuff like Design for Leaving and Tazmanian Devil clone shorts.

I actually prefer "Design for Leaving" over the vast majority of the Tweety/Sylvester shorts for various reasons. I agree on Taz however. That character shouldn't have returned after "Devil May Hare".
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

Dave Mackey

Postby Dave Mackey » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Monday, 11/30
Boyhood Daze
Easter Yeggs
Birds Anonymous
Haredevil Hare
Fast and Furry-ous
Bowery Bugs

Tuesday, 12/1
Foxy by Proxy
For Scent-imental Reasons
Buccaneer Bunny
Drip Along Daffy
Fowl Weather
?

Wednesday, 12/2
The Impatient Patient
Hair-Raising Hare
The Honey-Mousers
Duck! Rabbit, Duck!
Hen House Henery
?

Thursday, 12/3
Home Tweet Home
From A to Z-z-z-z-z
Bully for Bugs
A Hare Grows in Manhattan
Jumpin' Jupiter
?

Friday, 12/4
I Taw a Putty Tat
Often an Orphan
Hare Conditioned
Hop, Look and Listen
Haredevil Hare
?

Haredevil Hare twice in one week? Odd.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:50 pm

The CN Looney Tunes schedule thread for 11/30-12/4 is available here (it is a "sticky" thread at the top of the forum). I am going to close this thread to avoid any confusion.

Return to “What Aired Today?”