Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Shemp

Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

Postby Shemp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:14 am

TVShowsonDVD reports Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection will be released on June 23. 34 toons on two DVDs. Package art is posted at the link.

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:50 am

Hmmm..... Despite the fact that Chuck Jones' name is on the DVD collection set title, I'm not sure if this DVD set will sell well since the Tom & Jerry series Chuck Jones did is generally considered to be Jones' lowest mark in his career (even Jones himself didn't speak highly of his work on this series later in life; he referred to his own T&J cartoons as "The Road Runner & Coyote in cat & mouse drag).

I might actually pick up the set just for the sake of being a Chuck Jones completist and for some of the cartoons on the set that are actually better than average for his T&J cartoons (i.e. "Much Ado About Mousing", "The Year of the Mouse", "Haunted Mouse", "Duel Personality") but sales of this collection should still prove rather interesting.....

And we're still getting THIS before Warner Home Video is actually releasing a Tex Avery DVD collection set?!

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

I think this will probably sell well, since this is still Tom and Jerry.

Er, at this point, I would just like to see Warner properly remaster all of the H-B Tom and Jerry's and the Tex Avery's and put out a big "Tom and Jerry and Tex Avery Too" set. That's the best we could hope for.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Douglas E.

Postby Douglas E. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm really looking foward to this! Unlike most members here, I LOVE Chuck Jones' Tom & Jerry Shorts.

-Doug
Daffyfan2004 wrote:This [Rebel Rabbit] should be more of the plot for a Daffy Duck cartoon. But I guess calling a cartoon 'Rebel Duck' wouldn't have the same ring to it.

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:How 'bout Dissenter Duck? Malcontent Mallard? Anarchist Anatidae? Troublemaker Teal? Contumacious Canvasback? Ring-necked Ringleader?

Jeffitarian

Postby Jeffitarian » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Yeah, I also would like to see a properly presented Tom and Jerry collection ala the LT Golden Collections, but I was rather excited to see this. Although not the classic HB shorts, it still is Tom and Jerry (as has been mentioned previously) and will probably be unedited, as I doubt Jones' shorts have anything that can be considered "objectionable". If nothing else, this set proves that Warner Brothers actually does listen to the public occasionally, as it was listed on the last survey they put out as a potential release.

Now, how 'bout those Deitch shorts?;)
Please refrain from tasting the knob.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 pm

WHV can release this god awful version of T&J on dvd, but can't release any Looney Tunes or Popeye collections this year?

What's wrong with this picture???
"I'm Salty McGuire The Gob, You'll Always Find Me On The Job" (Terrytoons) "Salt Water Taffy" (1930)

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 pm

You're expecting a corporation to act in a way that suggests logic and reason.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Jeffitarian wrote:Yeah, I also would like to see a properly presented Tom and Jerry collection ala the LT Golden Collections, but I was rather excited to see this. Although not the classic HB shorts, it still is Tom and Jerry (as has been mentioned previously) and will probably be unedited, as I doubt Jones' shorts have anything that can be considered "objectionable". If nothing else, this set proves that Warner Brothers actually does listen to the public occasionally, as it was listed on the last survey they put out as a potential release.

Now, how 'bout those Deitch shorts?;)

I don't remember all the other titles on that survey list, but it's interesting -- as I recall, a lot of them are being sampled on the "Saturday Morning Cartoons" sets. Maybe Jones' T&Js got the most votes, so they get a dedicated set.

Mac

Postby Mac » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure whether I want this or not – I seem to remember some of these cartoons were quite good, but the sampling of a few I caught on TV recently were pretty bad. The cover art for this DVD is pretty good – a design that reflects the artwork found on the cartoons within (it's just a shame I don't like the original 60's artwork and design of the characters in the first place).

However, is it true there are going to be no Popeye or Looney Tunes sets at all this year? I never heard that.

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:53 pm

This is a strange move. But hey, these cartoons definitely deserve a release. Some of the most visually pleasing cartoons around...they're just not funny.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”