Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Ragged_Clown wrote:The Deitch's have been released in Volume 5 of the Tom & Jerry sets in the UK, correct? I don't know what the quality is like, and it's awkward getting volume 5 of a set that will have some overlap with the region 1 spotlight collections, but it's pretty cheap and may be the only way to get those wonderfully bizarre Deitch shorts for the forseeable future.

The quality is excellent on that disc. Beautifully restored copies of these WTF masterpieces. When I ordered mine it was less than 10 bucks with shipping from Amazon UK, definitely worth it.

Douglas E.

Postby Douglas E. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Thad wrote:The quality is excellent on that disc. Beautifully restored copies of these WTF masterpieces. When I ordered mine it was less than 10 bucks with shipping from Amazon UK, definitely worth it.

Wow, that sounds like a great deal! Ten dollars for 91 minutes of awesome weirdness!

-Doug
Daffyfan2004 wrote:This [Rebel Rabbit] should be more of the plot for a Daffy Duck cartoon. But I guess calling a cartoon 'Rebel Duck' wouldn't have the same ring to it.

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:How 'bout Dissenter Duck? Malcontent Mallard? Anarchist Anatidae? Troublemaker Teal? Contumacious Canvasback? Ring-necked Ringleader?

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I'd love to have the Deitch cartoons released. Sure, they're screwed up and completely unrefined, but that's what I like about them. And they certainly contain a lot more unexpected jokes than the Jones version.

As for this Jones set, not sure. I put it on my wish list but it's not a huge priority, as I'm not a big fan of the Jones cartoons. Still, the extras and remastered video (if it is indeed remastered) are enticing...

That 70s Mom

Postby That 70s Mom » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:51 am

gdX wrote:I'm sure I'm the only one, but I'll take Deitch's T&J any day over Jones'.

I would buy the Deitches for sure!

Chuck Jones, no thanks. I don't hate them as much as I did as a kid, but I don't like them all that much, either.
Sue :audrey:

Douglas E.

All of Tom & Jerry Shorts rock! (At least, anything from 1940-1967)

Postby Douglas E. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:55 am

I love Chuck Jones' Tom & Jerry just as much as the Hanna-Barbera shorts! But that's just my opinion. And Speedy Boris just mentioned the exact reason why I like the Gene Dietch shorts!

-Doug :tomcat: :jerry:
Daffyfan2004 wrote:This [Rebel Rabbit] should be more of the plot for a Daffy Duck cartoon. But I guess calling a cartoon 'Rebel Duck' wouldn't have the same ring to it.

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:How 'bout Dissenter Duck? Malcontent Mallard? Anarchist Anatidae? Troublemaker Teal? Contumacious Canvasback? Ring-necked Ringleader?

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:26 am

Thad wrote:The quality is excellent on that disc. Beautifully restored copies of these WTF masterpieces. When I ordered mine it was less than 10 bucks with shipping from Amazon UK, definitely worth it.

Sounds like a steal. Will a UK DVD play on an American DVD player, or are there regional issues like there were with VHS?

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 am

Matthew Hunter wrote:Sounds like a steal. Will a UK DVD play on an American DVD player, or are there regional issues like there were with VHS?

There are:o
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:16 am

They're not restored. However, having said that, the picture quality is not bad at all.

Just my opinion, but I can't believe that people are comparing Gene Deitch's cartoons favourably to Chuck Jones' ones. Yes, the Jones cartoons weren't particularly funny, but they've got charm, recognisable music, they are quite well animated - all qualities missing in Deitch's Tom and Jerry cartoons. If they come across as wonderfully bizarre, then I would assume that's unintentional.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:15 am

The upcoming Jones T&J set will be presented in... widescreen?

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:18 am

Jon Cooke wrote:The upcoming Jones T&J set will be presented in... widescreen?

Uh oh...

The actual complaining begins (just like what happened with DBZ).

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”