Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 pm

I'll admit that I loved the Chuck Jones Tom and Jerry shorts as a kid. They were definately drawn in a beautiful style-the opening sequence was always cute and Jerry was adorable.

The best shorts had to be "The Mouse from U.N.C.L.E." and "Snowbody Loves Me." I'd rather watch these than the Gene Deitch ones.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Larry T

Postby Larry T » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:18 pm

These all came out about 9 years ago on the Japanese DVD boxset, and they looked amazing...

Hopefully WHV uses the same transfers or updates them with new ones.

"Steamboating ahead to good times!"

Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Before I had ever heard of Chuck Jones I remember distinctly recognizing these from the other T&Js as a child, liking the artwork and liking several of the individual cartoons. I'm sure I'll get it... still an odd release though, with so much other stuff people keep begging for. Then again, this is also the year we get the "classic" Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, so no piece of crap they come out with is going to surprise me now.

PF9

Postby PF9 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Someone at Warners must have read one of my posts, although that post called for the Rembrandt Films T&Js and The KarateGuard to be on that set as well (and spread across 4 discs).

I hope the RF 'toons do get released eventually
"Let's bury the hatch-, I say let's bury the hatchet, but not in our cartoons boy!"

~ - Foghorn Leghorn on cartoon censorship, from "Crowing Pains" (original line altered) ~

In other words, air the LT cartoons as they were originally released. I appreciate being able to watch them on TV again, but eventually CN needs to stop censoring them.

raginggoodfella

Postby raginggoodfella » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Nelson wrote:WHV can release this god awful version of T&J on dvd, but can't release any Looney Tunes or Popeye collections this year?

What's wrong with this picture???
Do they really believe this C. Jones' set will sell more copies than a complete unedited HB's T&J set? Or even another LT set?

janiepooh34

Postby janiepooh34 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Bradskey wrote:Before I had ever heard of Chuck Jones I remember distinctly recognizing these from the other T&Js as a child, liking the artwork and liking several of the individual cartoons. I'm sure I'll get it... still an odd release though, with so much other stuff people keep begging for. Then again, this is also the year we get the "classic" Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, so no piece of crap they come out with is going to surprise me now.

I had the same experience as a child as knowing that whenever I saw Tom meow in the opening I knew it was a different style cartoon...however...I disliked them and would leave the room! My older brother tried to tell me that these were the best Tom and Jerry's, but I disagreed. We still disagree to this day about the subject.
janiepooh34 :beepbeep::coyote:

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm

raginggoodfella wrote:Do they really believe this C. Jones' set will sell more copies than a complete unedited HB's T&J set? Or even another LT set?

Family division at it again? it is them then it is time to fload Warneres with e-mails plus this have already been published in region 2, so no gain for me then, unless there is some diffrence bettween region relese.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Pieless

Postby Pieless » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:22 pm

MarkTheShark wrote:I don't remember all the other titles on that survey list, but it's interesting -- as I recall, a lot of them are being sampled on the "Saturday Morning Cartoons" sets. Maybe Jones' T&Js got the most votes, so they get a dedicated set.

A stand alone Fleischer/Famous Superman release was also on that survey, so I guess that's the other thing besides the Saturday Morning Cartoons set. At least we get a few cartoon releases this year, once I heard there was not going to be any LT/Popeye releases I was worrying that this year was going to be pretty empty in that regard.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Nelson wrote:WHV can release this god awful version of T&J on dvd, but can't release any Looney Tunes or Popeye collections this year?

My first thought was actually, "why are we getting a Chuck Jones T&J set but not a Looney Tunes 1965-1969 set?"

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:31 pm

What's wrong with this picture???

From WHV's standpoint this release is a no-brainer.

1 - Like the Fleischer Superman shorts, the cartoons have already been remastered and are all ready for release (as Larry said, they have already been issued to DVD outside of the USA).

2 - Both "Tom & Jerry" and "Chuck Jones" have plenty of name recognition, so I actually think this set will sell decently if the price is right.

3 - The Jones T&J continue to get plenty of airtime on CN and Boomerang, so somebody must like them.

I am definitely going to check it out. I actually haven't sat down and watched these in years, so it will be interesting to revisit them. Nice of them to throw the upcoming Jones Memories of Childhood special on there. Also, the cover looks very nice.

With classic cartoon DVD offerings looking so slim this year, I'll take what I can get. :p

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”