Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Geezil

Postby Geezil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 am

Leviathan wrote:There are only 13 Deitch Tom and Jerrys. A one-disc of those would be infinitely preferable to another belated Greatest Chases volume.

OK, one package, then. Thanks for the correction! :D
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 am

If the price is right I might pick this up; as others have said there were a few decent ones in the Jones T&J series. I'm thinking specifically of ones like The Cat Above and The Mouse Below; which is a kind of a cross between H-B's The Cat Concerto and Jones's earlier Long-Haired Hare.

Jon had remarked that one of the key reasons that WHV can release thse cartoons at the present time is because all of them had been previously released outside of the U.S. and so there would not be much expense incurred in repackaging them and reissuing them on DVD.

By that logic, however, why couldn't have WHV simply reissued all of the H-B Tom and Jerrys as well as those done by Jones as a new series of DVD's (comprising not a single boxed set, mind you, but rather 8 individually packaged DVD's)?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 pm

zavkram wrote:If the price is right I might pick this up; as others have said there were a few decent ones in the Jones T&J series. I'm thinking specifically of ones like The Cat Above and The Mouse Below; which is a kind of a cross between H-B's The Cat Concerto and Jones's earlier Long-Haired Hare.

Jon had remarked that one of the key reasons that WHV can release thse cartoons at the present time is because all of them had been previously released outside of the U.S. and so there would not be much expense incurred in repackaging them and reissuing them on DVD.

By that logic, however, why couldn't have WHV simply reissued all of the H-B Tom and Jerrys as well as those done by Jones as a new series of DVD's (comprising not a single boxed set, mind you, but rather 8 individually packaged DVD's)?

Don't give them any ideas! They're already doing just that with Scooby-Doo! (BANGS HEAD AGAINST RADIATOR REPEATEDLY FOR TWO HOURS)

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm

I think we're getting stuff like this and another misc. Tom and Jerry collection because WB probably wants maximum revenue right now with the least amount of investment. It could be an economic thing.

Jack G.

Postby Jack G. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Oh, it's definately an econimic thing.

There are only 13 Deitch Tom and Jerrys.
I want em'!
I like them for what they are in all their foreign WTF-ness.

gdX

Postby gdX » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:From WHV's standpoint this release is a no-brainer.
On the nose-y.

For some reason, T&J seem popular, and this won't cost WHV much while keeping fresh product visible in the bins... good business, really.

I wish them well, but I'll have to pass... these do nothing for me.

60s = bad.

I'm sure I'm the only one, but I'll take Deitch's T&J any day over Jones'.

:twoshoes:

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:30 pm

There's something awful about the Deitch soundtracks. While the Jones cartoons aren't quite right in the sound either, they don't make me want to crawl out of my skin. I saw the construction site Jones entry Bad Day at Cat Rock a couple of months ago, and was surprised at how much I really liked it.

Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Gasmask Ted wrote:There's something awful about the Deitch soundtracks. While the Jones cartoons aren't quite right in the sound either, they don't make me want to crawl out of my skin.

Very true. I believe they were recorded in a public Men's room in Prague.
DB Jr. :chilly:

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:31 pm

gdX wrote:I'm sure I'm the only one, but I'll take Deitch's T&J any day over Jones'.

You are not.

Ragged_Clown

Postby Ragged_Clown » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 pm

The Deitch's have been released in Volume 5 of the Tom & Jerry sets in the UK, correct? I don't know what the quality is like, and it's awkward getting volume 5 of a set that will have some overlap with the region 1 spotlight collections, but it's pretty cheap and may be the only way to get those wonderfully bizarre Deitch shorts for the forseeable future.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”