Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:39 am

The "Chase" wrote:Uh oh...

The actual complaining begins (just like what happened with DBZ).

And so shall begin the endless debates...is it better to "preserve the original theatrical exhibition," therefore hypothetically "representing the director's vision and/or artistic intentions," or is it better to just present the full image in its entirety without lopping off the top and bottom?

The way to solve this is to introduce an optional feature on DVD players where you can add your own black bars if you so choose!

jonmayo15

Postby jonmayo15 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:12 pm

MarkTheShark wrote:The way to solve this is to introduce an optional feature on DVD players where you can add your own black bars if you so choose!
There was a small company that did that with an 80's horror film. The only problem for those like myself with HDTVs is anamorphic enhancement. For the record these shorts were matted 1.85.1 by projectionists in the 60's, so I have no problem with it.
"It's the DESERT MADNESS!"

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Like Thad I already have these on that UK set I purchased for dirt cheap a few years ago. Between the Spotlight collections and this set (which includes the Deitch cartoons and the two H/B cartoons that aren't on the US collections) I'm good with Tom and Jerry until we get a set of RESTORED cartoons. But I'm not holding my breath.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:The upcoming Jones T&J set will be presented in... widescreen?

You know, a few weeks ago I happened to be flipping the channels one afternoon at my parents' house (they have HD) and stumbled across a Jones T&J on the Cartoon Network HD channel, and was surprised to see it in widescreen. And it looked authentically widescreen too, not artificially stretched to fill the screen. (There are HD stations that do this; Lifetime HD and TBS HD, in particular, do this with some of their sitcom repeats. The end result is everybody's short and fat, but apparently the station execs think it's better to run the shows that way than with bars down the side, and that maybe the viewers won't notice.) I was wondering why this was, since the Jones T&Js never looked pan-n-scanned or anything when I'd seen them before (whereas the Cinemascope T&Js from the mid-50s, when you see them pan-n-scanned, you know something's amiss; they look terrible). Now I know. In any event, they did look really good widescreen, and if you have a widescreen set, I think you'll be quite pleased.

I actually like the Jones T&Js. Yes, they're not as good as H-B T&J was in its prime. But they're enjoyable, and interesting too; I like the different settings Jones would sometimes put the characters in. And of course, they're beautiful to look at too. I also like them a lot better than the Deitch T&Js. Those cartoons used to creep me out as a kid, and as a grown-up....well, they're still creepy. With the less-than-great drawing and animation, and the bizarre soundtracks......they're kinda like watching a train wreck. You can't really look away, but I don't really know if I'd qualify them as good.

BTW, nobody's mentioned it here yet, but the artwork for this new set (which is viewable in the story Jon linked to) is great!

Mike

sumnernor

Postby sumnernor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:The upcoming Jones T&J set will be presented in... widescreen?

I have the (German) 12 disc "Tom & Jerry - The Classic Collection". Vol 10 has the Deitch cartoons and Vol 11 & 12 the Jones-. These are PAL/Region 2. To the best of my knowledge, like most of the H-B the Deitsch and Jones are 4:3 which means "full-screen" NOT wide screen. The british Pink Panther was issued as "wide Screen" which means the top and bottom are cut off, With the 4:3, you can adjust your widescreen TV to zoom in so no black bars are shown on a widescreen TV but you will loose ALOT of information! Widescreen is not possible when the original is 4:3. If you want to distort the picture as described in above post you can get widescreen. I don't think most GACers would care for that!

I have looked at both the Amazon-DE and UK and pricewise the UK is much cheaper than the german. In the UK, the classic collection was issued not on 12 but 6 double sided ("Flippers") discs. On the UK site you can search for "Tom and Jerry". If you read the comments for Vol 6 it will state that the 2 sides are Jones and Vol 5 - one side will have have Deitsch;

"while Volume 5 had the remains of the Hanna-Barbera era on Side 1, and the Gene Deitch era on Side 2. Volume 6 contains all 34 Tom & Jerry cartoons from the Chuck Jones era."

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 pm

The Chuck Jones' Tom and Jerry are post-MGM warehouse fire so the original negatives are still available.
If they did the work right these should look awesome.
2-3 shorts are worth watching. Once!
I'll buy the set anyway though.
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

jonmayo15

Postby jonmayo15 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:47 pm

sumnernor wrote:I have the (German) 12 disc "Tom & Jerry - The Classic Collection". Vol 10 has the Deitch cartoons and Vol 11 & 12 the Jones-. These are PAL/Region 2. To the best of my knowledge, like most of the H-B the Deitsch and Jones are 4:3 which means "full-screen" NOT wide screen. The british Pink Panther was issued as "wide Screen" which means the top and bottom are cut off, With the 4:3, you can adjust your widescreen TV to zoom in so no black bars are shown on a widescreen TV but you will loose ALOT of information! Widescreen is not possible when the original is 4:3. If you want to distort the picture as described in above post you can get widescreen. I don't think most GACers would care for that!
In the theaters these shorts were shown matted, not stretched horizontally to fill a widescreen format. The full screen versions are what is called open-matte. The shorts were made with "dead space" on the top and bottom of the screen so when matted the dead space is removed. If you saw a Pink Panther or Tom and Jerry cartoon in a theater in the 60's, it would be presented matted. This is what Warners is presenting on this set and is theatrically correct.
"It's the DESERT MADNESS!"

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:24 pm

jonmayo15 wrote:In the theaters these shorts were shown matted, not stretched horizontally to fill a widescreen format. The full screen versions are what is called open-matte. The shorts were made with "dead space" on the top and bottom of the screen so when matted the dead space is removed. If you saw a Pink Panther or Tom and Jerry cartoon in a theater in the 60's, it would be presented matted. This is what Warners is presenting on this set and is theatrically correct.

Yeah, but I don't have a movie theatre in my home and I don't have a widescreen TV.

This really ticks me off -- it's the new "pan and scan." I mean, it's one thing if John Cleese is supposed to be dancing around naked in A Fish Called Wanda and he's really wearing jeans, or if there's a boom mic hanging down in an outdoor shot in a Western. But these were shown full-screen on TV for decades -- which means we saw more picture information than theatregers did.

On the flip side: Channel 32 in Chicago got Cinemascope prints of some of the later Hanna-Barbera T&Js when they started running them in the late 1970s. So everyone was really tall and skinny!

JPox

Postby JPox » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:18 pm

I've always had a soft spot for these Chuck Jones' T&J's.
True, the cartoons are not particularly hilarious, but they are experimental in a sense. I always like watching the opening credits on these.
They have a Roadrunner/Wile feel to them too and that's a plus with me.
It'll be interesting seeing them cropped for widescreen. I already do this with my TV and a lot of cartoons from that era seem to "fit". The backgrounds have their tops 'n bottoms chopped off, but the action remains.
The modern cartoon "The Karate Guard" also works this way.

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 am

It's nice of Warner Home Video to release a well packaged set of the Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons, but I'll probably rent this set instead of purchasing it. I don't find Jones's versions of the characters all that entertaining.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”