Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection, June 23

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:18 am

CueBallCat79 wrote:Like Thad I already have these on that UK set I purchased for dirt cheap a few years ago. Between the Spotlight collections and this set (which includes the Deitch cartoons and the two H/B cartoons that aren't on the US collections) I'm good with Tom and Jerry until we get a set of RESTORED cartoons. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you are refering to original H/B cartoons. it seems that to many pictures need opeining and closing title cards restoration.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

trevthetoonfan

Postby trevthetoonfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 am

I know I'm in the very small minority here but I like the Chuck Jones Tom and Jerrys better than the H-B ones. That's probably because I saw Chuck's cartoons first before I saw the H-B ones. I will be getting this set.
"Hoskins, I wish there were words to express my contempt for you"

Pink Ice, 1965

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:07 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:Hope you are refering to original H/B cartoons. it seems that to many pictures need opeining and closing title cards restoration.

The original films really need to be completely restored and remastered using whatever earliest existing sources are available, but I agree that at the very least WHV should restore the title cards. That should've been done for the Spotlight sets instead of just using the television prints with the tacky openings superimposed over gaudy colored off-centered backgrounds.

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:02 am

I thought they cant use the original openings because the elements for those have been lost?

sumnernor

Postby sumnernor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 am

MarkTheShark wrote:Yeah, but I don't have a movie theatre in my home and I don't have a widescreen TV.

You have no problem. The European R2 Tom and Jerry's as is the US Pink Panthers and most of the US Tom and Jerry's are 4:3 and will display on your 4:3 TV as "Fullscreen". When played on a widescreen TV, one will get black bars left and right.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:56 am

Now available for pre-order from Amazon. Only $18.99.

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 am

Ive always heard bad things about Chuck's T&J. Of course it's not Gene Dietch's nor Hanna Barbera's.
But considering the high praise, I might just buy it.

MikeBSG

Postby MikeBSG » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 am

What are people's favorite Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons? "The Cat Above, the Mouse Below" is good, and I remember liking "Duel Personality."

Do any others stand out?

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 pm

MikeBSG wrote:What are people's favorite Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons? "The Cat Above, the Mouse Below" is good, and I remember liking "Duel Personality."

Do any others stand out?

My all-time favorites of this uneven series.....

The Year of the Mouse
Much Ado About Mousing
Duel Personality
Haunted Mouse
The Cat Above and the Mouse Below
Jerry, Jerry, Quite Contrary
Bad Day at Cat Rock
The Brothers Carry-Mouse-Off
Purr-Chance to Dream
Cannery Rodent

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:55 pm

It is ca 4 months it will be relesed from it was anoncced so, we shouldn't be too pesimistic about no Looney Tunes, Popeye set this year just yet.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”