Tom & Jerry "Deluxe Anniversary Collection" 6/29

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Jon Cooke

Tom & Jerry "Deluxe Anniversary Collection" 6/29

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:49 pm

I was excited... until I read the contents.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tom-Jerry-Deluxe-Anniversary-Collection/13461

It's all previously released material except for a '70s era made-for-TV Hanna-Barbera cartoon, a Filmation cartoon, a Tom & Jerry Kids segment ("Flippin' Fido"), and Cartoon Network's "The Mansion Cat" (2000).

gabriel_katikos

Tom and Jerry - Deluxe Anniversary Collection Coming in June

Postby gabriel_katikos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 pm

According to TVShowsonDVD.com, Warner Home Video has announced that they will be releasing a 2-disc Tom and Jerry - Deluxe Anniversary Collection DVD set on June 29:

Here's hoping that The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss n' Toots, and Mouse Trouble will have their original titles restored for this set.
"The dirty f***!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm hoping that The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss n' Toots, and Mouse Trouble will have their original titles restored for this set, but they'll probably use the same masters of those cartoons that were used on the Spotlight Collection sets.

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 pm

gabriel_katikos wrote:According to TVShowsonDVD.com, Warner Home Video has announced that they will be releasing a 2-disc Tom and Jerry - Deluxe Anniversary Collection DVD set on June 29:

Here's hoping that The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss n' Toots, and Mouse Trouble will have their original titles restored for this set.

For those that really want that, sure ... but just the same, "Ho Hum." To me this is just another collection where Mammy is under-represented, and they still confound us but not including the 2 shorts not released in the Spotlight Collections.

gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

ohmahaaha wrote:For those that really want that, sure ... but just the same, "Ho Hum." To me this is just another collection where Mammy is under-represented, and they still confound us by not including the 2 shorts not released in the Spotlight Collections.

Those two shorts would be Mouse Cleaning (1948) and Casanova Cat (1950).

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:04 pm

My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Damn, another poorly executed T&J release.

This set actually seems like it's aimed at the collector, but it still comes off as the usual WHV family division fare.

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:02 pm

I take issue with the packaging where it says "30 classic episodes."

I can only count 20. They're on the first disc.
OK, 23 then, I like the Chuck Jones ones as well.
Call me a cartoon snob if you like, but I certainly don't consider anything other than the aforementioned cartoons "classic."

And I know they're the same basic cartoons, but I'd rather see Hatch Up Your Troubles and Love That Pup than The Egg and Jerry and Tops With Pops. CinemaScope is nice and all that, but I personally think the 1948 and 1949 cartoons looked better.

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Personally, I'd rather see them release the missing two Hanna/Barbera theatricals somehow, as well as the Gene Deitch shorts and the 1975 TV series (minus Grape Ape) and 1980 TV series on DVD (with the Droopy shorts as well) in their own collections.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Have 1. April arrived already. Some one will need too address this with Jerry Beck if this was what he ment with doing LTGC standard DVDs of Tom and Jerry.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”