Tom & Jerry "Deluxe Anniversary Collection" 6/29

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
raginggoodfella

Postby raginggoodfella » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:19 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:I agree, but thanks for wording what I said better.

How about this for ultimate MGM cartoon box set?: EVERY MGM CARTOON IN ONE COMPLETE BOX SET for the very low price of $299.69. Plus extra features, including lobby cards, the famouse Raid tv ads, and no commentaries and even better no dvnr!!!

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am

raginggoodfella wrote:How about this for ultimate MGM cartoon box set?: EVERY MGM CARTOON IN ONE COMPLETE BOX SET for the very low price of $299.69. Plus extra features, including lobby cards, the famouse Raid tv ads, and no commentaries and even better no dvnr!!!

But I like Jerry's commentaries.

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 pm

DVD is long gone.. We'll never get that; Especially from WHV. The studio is releasing this cash-in set because it can turn a quick profit off of existing material (ie. low cost & quick turnaround) aimed at the family market. It's cheap to produce, affordable and will make fast revenue. The days of collector oriented products on home video are over. We'll never see a "proper" MGM animation collection released on DVD. That medium has seen it's day. :rolleyes:

GarudaBoy!

Postby GarudaBoy! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

MF TOON wrote:DVD is long gone.. We'll never get that; Especially from WHV. The studio is releasing this cash-in set because it can turn a quick profit off of existing material (ie. low cost & quick turnaround) aimed at the family market. It's cheap to produce, affordable and will make fast revenue. The days of collector oriented products on home video are over. We'll never see a "proper" MGM animation collection released on DVD. That medium has seen it's day. :rolleyes:

I don't know about the days of collector-oriented products being over, but they may very well be relegated only to Blu-Ray for the near future. As much as we'd like it, unfortunately, most of our requests for a fully uncut restored set are unrealistic, because WB doesn't think they will (and they very well may not) sell enough copies to be profitable, particularly not in an economy that still hasn't recovered from recession.

gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:54 pm

"The dirty f***!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

Bartman

Postby Bartman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Those SPOTLIGHT collections were a joke in every sense of the word - I'll stick with my Laserdisc copies on DVD - at least they are the original versions and had "Mouse Cleaning" & "Casanova Cat" on them -even the CINEMASCOPE cartoons looked better!!

This is just another attempt by WHV to make more $ off of something that was done wrong from the get-go!!
"How 'bout a race, Foxie? Last one through the poily gates is a rotten egg!" - 'Be Patient, Patient' - 1944

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Incidentally, what is WHV's problem with "Mansion Cat"? They seem to have purposely avoided that cartoon along with Mouse Cleaning and Cassanova Cat.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Wow! I can see honnestly this is not a recommended DVD and a easy way to cash-in to the franchise. The day when MGM will be back the rights of this characters, they sure presented them properly like they did with the DFE cartoons films.

But did it's me or the cinemascope transfers are all terrible at all judging by the frames?

gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I am also 99% sure that The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss n' Toots, and Mouse Trouble do NOT have their original titles restored, and that the copies of those cartoons on this set are the same reissue prints that were used on the Spotlight Collections.
"The dirty f***!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:10 pm

I was expecting them to use the same versions as the Spotlights. That's no shock. I am surprised to see they used a couple of the edited/redubbed versions from the first edition Spotlights and even some pan-and-scan versions instead of the restored widescreen versions that have previously been issued. Obviously there was no quality control on this set... :shame:

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”