Tom & Jerry "Deluxe Anniversary Collection" 6/29

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 am

Until WBHE finally gets it right, I'll just keep my spotlight collections and continue watching the two omitted cartoons on YouTube.

I don't have the Chuck Jones set because the only T&J cartoon he directed that I like is "The Cat Above and The Mouse Below"; and even that one borrows heavily from his earlier Bugs Bunny short "Long-Haired Hare".

As for the Grape Ape cartoons, the Deitch-directed cartoons (with the possible exception of "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit") and the Filmation efforts; I can do very well without them.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:19 am

zavkram wrote:Until WBHE finally gets it right, I'll just keep my spotlight collections and continue watching the two omitted cartoons on YouTube.

Yup. As long as I have the Spotlight Collections (which are fine as long as you have the corrected versions cause we know these are never going to be restored) and the two "banned" cartoons on the UK sets I'm really all set.

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:43 am

Dirty Skunk wrote:Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me.
But on that note, I'll also say that being old doesn't make a cartoon 'classic' either - it has to actually be good! (although whether or not a cartoon is 'good' is entirely subjective). The word "classic" is bandied about all too often.

Yes ... to me the same thing goes for these "100 Greatest" lists that keep being published in the media every time you turn around ... to me on any of these lists, nothing from the last 10 years should be included because nothing in the last 10 years (at least) has been around long enough to have truly stood the test of time - and memory!

FishBulb

Postby FishBulb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:46 am

Brandon Panther wrote:It would be cool if they got Gene Deitch in to do interviews and commentaries. That way he can talk about how his "Tom & Jerry" cartoons are SO MUCH BETTER than Chuck Jones'.

Can't quite tell if you're saying this sincerely or if you're sarcastically parroting Deitch's own views, but I actually agree with him. Although Deitch's efforts are obviously far worse technically, I find them nowhere near as dull, irritating and unfunny as Jones' T&J shorts.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 pm

FishBulb wrote:Can't quite tell if you're saying this sincerely or if you're sarcastically parroting Deitch's own views, but I actually agree with him. Although Deitch's efforts are obviously far worse technically, I find them nowhere near as dull, irritating and unfunny as Jones' T&J shorts.

To each their own, yes. I know the Jones' shorts don't have many fans either, but I myself find them more fun to watch (you can't deny they have nice music).

But, yeah I was sarcastically mocking something Deitch once said about Jones' shorts, that they were an eyesore to him, even though I personally think that's a description that suits his own shorts.

He also once criticised the H-B Tom & Jerry shorts for their lack of sophistication (they were too violent for his tastes).
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

gdX

Postby gdX » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:04 pm

What is it about Tom & Jerry that compels WHV to keep them so visible? They're among the best of GACs, but why are they so heavily exposed compared to other WHV properties? That is a head-scratcher. :confused:

Maybe they figure that, without having to restore negatives that don't exist, this is an economical library to manage; whatever decent prints they have now are good enough, and there's little ju$tification to hunt for original title footage. Maybe that's why they're assigned to the Family Division at WB for chop-n-shop distribution. :confused:

All things considered, the Spotlights are perfectly fine to have in hand. The two missing titles aren't hard to find. About 99% of everything is uncut. About 90% of the prints and transfers look acceptable-to-good. And I can watch 'em now.

I'd love a major finished MGM package, but I sure don't see it happening in the immediate future. If at all. I'd like to think a Tex Avery box is imminent, however, and could be the next big release when the economy starts picking back up. If that even happens.

In the meantime, I'd love to receive a Deitch T&J release.

Pass on the Grape Ape, thank you very much. :(

FishBulb wrote:Although Deitch's efforts are obviously far worse technically, I find them nowhere near as dull, irritating and unfunny as Jones' T&J shorts.
I think Deitch's clunky animation, goofy facial expressions and general low production are the very things that make his T&Js entertaining. They're goofy and funny, and really shouldn't be expected to replicate HB toons. At least he 'got' the series better than Jones did. I revere Chuck Jones' WB toons, but his tedious, mannered T&Js stink out loud. Deitch really is a one-of-a-kind animator; he did good things at Terry, too. He just works from a different, unique POV, one that reflects his later arrival timewise, and his European roots.

:tomcat: :jerry:

FishBulb

Postby FishBulb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 pm

I agree, the reasons I find some of Deitch's shorts entertaining may be accidental, but it's still entertainment. I find myself wanting to see this or that Deitch short again every so often out of curiosity, that hasn't happened to me yet with any of those from the Jones era. I certainly don't deny Jones' shorts have decent music, and they also feature what is probably technically the best animation and layouts of any 60s cartoons, but at the same time I think the look of them doesn't really suit the characters and in particular I don't like the redesign of T&J themselves. There are also stray traces of wit in the Deitch cartoons that I find lacking in the Jones efforts.

That he should criticise the H/B T&Js for being "too violent" is certainly a headscratcher though; Down and Outing and High Stakes aren't just violent, they're sadistic.

Richie

Postby Richie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:36 pm

I find something entertaining in every classic T&J incarnation.

Gene Deitch's are interesting to rewatch, if only because they provide such a contrast with the original series. I do, however, think Buddies Thicker than Water is pretty loyal to the Hannah-Barbera shorts, trippy sound effects aside, and a good short at face value. Does anyone else feel the same? On the contrary, The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit is another winner precisely because it's nothing like what we're used to see in the cat and mouse duo.

Some of Jones' are pretty good cartoons on their own, if not as T&J's shorts. I'd consider The Cat Above and the Mouse Below and The Year of the Cat to be outstanding, for instance.

...This set includes a segment from the Tom and Jerry Kids series, in my opinion a pretty decent cartoon. Just saw a couple of shorts on Youtube, they're fine enough. It struck me as surprising that they would pick just one segment. What was the reasoning behind that? An episode guide answered me; it was the very first short shown in the series. Which only adds to my perception on how lazily put together this set appears to be.

ThePeterNetwork

Postby ThePeterNetwork » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Matthew Hunter wrote:I don't understand...why would anyone buy this? Tom and Jerry fans and collectors have already bought the Spotlight and Chuck Jones collections. Everything on this was already included on those! The only new-to-DVD material here is made-for-TV junk.

Okay Warner Bros.. Are you listening? I know some of your people read this site. PAY ATTENTION! Here's what you do:

1. Release the previous three Spotlight sets again as a lower-priced mega-set, sort of like the Flintstones or Dini/Timm Superman sets. Include the 2 cartoons that were omitted, replace the redubbed Mammy shorts with the originals, and restore any original titles that may have been found recently.

2. Release a collection of the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry. Get him to comment on them or interview him, he is alive.

3. Release a set of the Filmation Tom and Jerry. Find some of the artists who worked on that and get their input. It sucks, but you've released far worse!

4. Release a set of the Hanna-Barbera TV version with Grape Ape, and if you must, the T&J Kids.

5. Keep doing T&J Tales releases, they're decent cartoons and kids seem to be buying them.

6. After doing all of the above, STOP. Don't do anything else. You will now have all the Tom and Jerry material that exists available on DVD. Buyers will choose the stuff they want, and they won't have to buy everything they already bought again.

mmkay?:tomcat::jerry:

Sorry, Matthew. The only kind of response you're going to get from WB regarding this is the kind where they shut their eyes, plug their ears with their fingers, turn their backs on you and scream at the top of their lungs, "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I DON'T HEEEEEEEEAR UUUUUUUU!"
:bugs1: Support your favorite Golden Age Cartoons by purchasing their respective DVDs. If they don't have DVDs, let the studio who currently holds the rights to them know you want to see them on DVD. They may not listen, but you can tell them anyway.:daffy:

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:48 pm

I really hope that SOMEBODY at WHV is actually listening, and not doing that childish thing that ThePeterNetwork was describing.

Seriously, this seems like a lazily put together, shoddily done set to me. BUT, I am going to withhold judgment until that time when someone can actually tell us what's going on with this thing (like Jerry Beck's next appearance on Shokus Internet Radio on March 24th [the day before my birthday]).

BJ

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”