Tom & Jerry "Deluxe Anniversary Collection" 6/29

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
John Pannozzi

Postby John Pannozzi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:58 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:Yup. As long as I have the Spotlight Collections (which are fine as long as you have the corrected versions cause we know these are never going to be restored) and the two "banned" cartoons on the UK sets I'm really all set.

Aren't the corrected versions horribly interlaced, though?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:03 pm

bj_wanlund wrote:I really hope that SOMEBODY at WHV is actually listening, and not doing that childish thing that ThePeterNetwork was describing.

As I've said before in the past, I think WB only uses GAC as a means to spy on Jerry Beck and Earl Kress, nothing else.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:As I've said before in the past, I think WB only uses GAC as a means to spy on Jerry Beck and Earl Kress, nothing else.

I don't really see that, honestly. If WHV was so concerned about these things getting out, when we'd get excited/disappointed about them anyway, then why would they use GAC in that manner?

I sincerely hope that WHV is in fact listening to our complaints and making the requisite changes to this set, because, to be totally blunt, if they can't even get THIS set right, how are we supposed to trust them to get a brand new Looney Tunes set right?

And, BTW, despite the DVNR in certain cartoons (which was utterly unnoticeable to me), I liked the Droopy set, and I liked the way they didn't censor anything in those cartoons, specifically the blackface gags. WHY can they not make that kind of concerted effort with the original MGM Hanna-Barbera Tom & Jerry shorts in the same manner??

BJ

Kirben

Postby Kirben » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 am

CueBallCat79 wrote:Every Tom and Jerry Tales episode has already been released on DVD in volume sets. In fact, WB is going to start putting the series out in season sets. So yeah, we're getting this series two times over.

Every DVD release of Tom and Jerry Tales is pan and scan though, even the upcoming season 1 DVD set. So we still need a decent DVD release of the Tom and Jerry Tales series, using the original aspect ratio (widescreen).

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

Matthew Hunter wrote:I don't understand...why would anyone buy this? Tom and Jerry fans and collectors have already bought the Spotlight and Chuck Jones collections. Everything on this was already included on those! The only new-to-DVD material here is made-for-TV junk.

Okay Warner Bros.. Are you listening? I know some of your people read this site. PAY ATTENTION! Here's what you do:

1. Release the previous three Spotlight sets again as a lower-priced mega-set, sort of like the Flintstones or Dini/Timm Superman sets. Include the 2 cartoons that were omitted, replace the redubbed Mammy shorts with the originals, and restore any original titles that may have been found recently. Include the Spike and Tyke shorts as bonus

2. Release a collection of the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry. Get him to comment on them or interview him, he is alive.

3. Release a set of the Filmation Tom and Jerry. Find some of the artists who worked on that and get their input. It sucks, but you've released far worse!

4. Release a set of the Hanna-Barbera TV version with Grape Ape, and if you must, the T&J Kids.

5. Keep doing T&J Tales releases, they're decent cartoons and kids seem to be buying them. Some one else said the have already relesed all of those but they could aways make more:(

6. After doing all of the above, STOP. Don't do anything else. You will now have all the Tom and Jerry material that exists available on DVD. Buyers will choose the stuff they want, and they won't have to buy everything they already bought again.

mmkay?:tomcat::jerry:

I would like to ad:

7. start releasing all the None Tom and Jerry MGM cartoons and correct the DVNR on the Droopy set, there sic 190 cartoon left.

8. Continue to release the Popeye cartoons you have only 108 left.

9. Continue to release LT/MM, thats mean no double dip. so after the first Super Star DVDs there still ca 600 cartoons left.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

raginggoodfella

Postby raginggoodfella » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:27 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:I would like to ad:

7. start releasing all the None Tom and Jerry MGM cartoons and correct the DVNR on the Droopy set, there sic 190 cartoon left.

How about a complete un-cut MGM cartoon collection geared to the serious animation fan?(T&J, Avery, Harman-Ising(spelling?), H-B stuff that's not T&J, Barney Bear,etc...) I'm pretty sure WHV can charge higher mark-up for complete un-f**ked-up set.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:07 pm

raginggoodfella wrote:How about a complete un-cut MGM cartoon collection geared to the serious animation fan?(T&J, Avery, Harman-Ising(spelling?), H-B stuff that's not T&J, Barney Bear,etc...) I'm pretty sure WHV can charge higher mark-up for complete un-f**ked-up set.

I agree, but thanks for wording what I said better.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:29 pm

gdX wrote:What is it about Tom & Jerry that compels WHV to keep them so visible? They're among the best of GACs, but why are they so heavily exposed compared to other WHV properties? That is a head-scratcher. :confused:

Well, aside from what you said about the cartoons already being in good condition without needing to restore or remaster them, the fact that most of them have little or no dialogue means the cartoons can be packaged and sold anywhere in the world, so there's nothing that gets lost in translation. It also helps that all the cartoons happen to be in colour, unlike say, the earlier Mickey Mouse or Popeye cartoons. And there's also a certain simplicity and timelessness about the Tom and Jerry cartoons. Having watched most of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection sets, there are a number of cartoons in sets 2-6 that haven't dated particularly well (the overwhelming majority of these don't feature the well-known characters); the jokes, the references, the overall theme of some of these cartoons are lost on most modern audiences. I can't quite analyse exactly why WHV likes Tom and Jerry so much but the way I see it is that T&J are a proven money-maker and have been for years. They'll sell.

ThePeterNetwork

Postby ThePeterNetwork » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:09 pm

bj_wanlund wrote:I really hope that SOMEBODY at WHV is actually listening, and not doing that childish thing that ThePeterNetwork was describing.

Wowwwwww, my impression of WHV was childish? Well, there's always the less-tactful and rude route by saying, "F-U, we are a business, and we only care about what we think. You're all just dollar signs to us."
:bugs1: Support your favorite Golden Age Cartoons by purchasing their respective DVDs. If they don't have DVDs, let the studio who currently holds the rights to them know you want to see them on DVD. They may not listen, but you can tell them anyway.:daffy:

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 pm

ThePeterNetwork wrote:Wowwwwww, my impression of WHV was childish? Well, there's always the less-tactful and rude route by saying, "F-U, we are a business, and we only care about what we think. You're all just dollar signs to us."

Far less tactful and polite, but it worked better.

BJ

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”