Tom & Jerry "Deluxe Anniversary Collection" 6/29

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:I was expecting them to use the same versions as the Spotlights. That's no shock. I am surprised to see they used a couple of the edited/redubbed versions from the first edition Spotlights and even some pan-and-scan versions instead of the restored widescreen versions that have previously been issued. Obviously there was no quality control on this set... :shame:

Oh for the love of God...

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Yeesh!!! I know that WB's quality control is pretty bad, but now they have repeated some mistakes from the past by releasing edited cartoons that were later corrected on a previous release?

Not like I was going to buy this DVD set anyway (I already got the 3 Spotlights, and I also have the laserdisc sets), but it does make me worry a little bit about just how much WB really does care about preserving their classic animation catalog.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:20 pm

What bothers me is how WB don't want to planned a Tom and Jerry collection properly like they does with Looney Tunes and Popeye with the years. Why?

I know that the Spotlight Collection was pieces we should avoiding it fast but as well i never see from Laserdiscs, it was a exposure to know more this series even restored the cinemascope films from their original format. But giving them pan-and-scan and poor transfers to this?

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:11 am

Sheesh, the things the company does to get some extra cash. For a division that has the name family, they sure don't care about their results or consumers much.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 pm

If we could tell casual fans to stay a way from such travesty of set that is the only why to stop them, from produceing crap.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Boy Wonder

Postby Boy Wonder » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:54 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:If we could tell casual fans to stay a way from such travesty of set that is the only why to stop them, from produceing crap.

For $20, you can get TWO spotlight collections, and get a heckuva lot more cartoons! As a guy who shops for bargains, that certainly is not one, even under a $3 Big Lots sale.
:ysam:Open the bridge varmint, open it I say....

CLOSE IT CLOSE IT, CLOSE IT UP AGAIN....:ysam:

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Instead to a PC 2-Disc set, it will be better if someone having the rights of the Tom and Jerry comics (Not new, the old ones) Dell Comics made at the 1950's and re-issued this at limited edition. They have a lot of solid drawings on it and i feel to study it. Those are really wonderful!! :tomcat::jerry:

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:08 pm

I wonder if this is WB testing the waters to see if people would be interested in purchasing the TV-era Tom and Jerry cartoons (The Tom and Jerry Show, The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show and The Tom and Jerry Kids Show)? I may be in the minority around here, but I'd be happy to see sets of those shows come out on DVD (which is the main reason I bought this collection, since I already have the Spotlight Collections, the Chuck Jones Collection and the individual discs of Tom and Jerry Tales). The latter two looked surprisingly good on this set in terms of print quality, while the 1975 show had some interlacing issues. I wonder why they left out any of the Gene Deitch shorts? You'd think that at the very least Dicky Moe and The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit would have made it to this set. I'd like to see a collection of those films, as well. :tomcat::jerry:

gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Does anybody know if the original titles for The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss n' Toots, and Mouse Trouble have been restored on this set (although I'm 99% sure they aren't)?
"The dirty f***!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:07 pm

gabriel_katikos wrote:Does anybody know if the original titles for The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss n' Toots, and Mouse Trouble have been restored on this set (although I'm 99% sure they aren't)?

It is highly doubtful based on a comment Jerry Beck made the last time he was on Stu's Show. If I remember correctly, Jerry said for Warner Bros. DVD releases, they are going to work with the material they have available to them. They won't seek out source material from private collections as the costs to use them would be too high for what they are budgeting nowadays for DVD releases. In other words, if Warner Bros. doesn't have the original titles for those Tom & Jerry shorts (which I'm 1000% sure they don't), then all they will be giving us is reissue titles.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”