WHV Errol Flynn Adventures, w/bonus toons, August 3

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Shemp

WHV Errol Flynn Adventures, w/bonus toons, August 3

Postby Shemp » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 am

From Warner Home Video...

[size=100][B][color=#303030][font=Arial]TCM SPOTLIGHT:[/font][/color][/B][/SIZE][size=100][B][color=#303030][font=Arial]ERROL FLYNN ADVENTURES[/B][/color][/font]

[B][color=#303030][font=Arial]RESTORED AND REMASTERED ERROL FLYNN CLASSICS NEW TO DVD AUGUST 3[/B]

[B]DESPERATE JOURNEY NORTHERN PURSUITEDGE OF DARKNESS UNCERTAIN GLORY OBJECTIVE, BURMA![/B]

[/color][/font][/SIZE]

Burbank, Calif., April 14, 2010 – WHV is giving fans the opportunity to experience the man Entertainment Weekly named one of the “100 Greatest Movie Stars of All Time” in an adrenaline charged collection of films starring the unforgettable legend, Errol Flynn. Each film * will make its restored and remastered debut on DVD for the first time on August 3, 2010 in Turner Classic Movies Spotlight: Errol Flynn Adventures. Presented by Warner Home Video (WHV), the 5-disc set will include an arsenal of powerful films that celebrate the charismatic and legendary hero who became known to many as “The Baron.” Each disc boasts an impressive array of bonus content and rare footage, some never before available on DVD. The collection includes: DESPERATE JOURNEY, also starring Ronald Reagan, NORTHERN PURSUIT, EDGE OF DARKNESS, UNCERTAIN GLORY, and OBJECTIVE, BURMA! (SRP $49.92).

One of the greatest movie swashbucklers of the early sound period, Flynn was chosen by Empire Magazine as one of the “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History” in 1995 (issue #86). His debonair attitude and notorious off-screen life continues to make him one of the most compelling actors in Hollywood history. With a combination of natural athleticism and magnetic good looks, Flynn became one of the most popular and highly paid stars of the 1930s and 1940s, and his films continue to be sought after by fans around the world.

ABOUT THE FILMS

DESPERATE JOURNEY(1942)
American pilots stranded in Germany during World War II fight their way to freedom. Also stars Ronald Reagan as Flying Officer Johnny Hammond. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies1942 Short Subjects Gallery:
- Vintage Newsreel
- OscarÒ-Nominated** Patriotic Short: THE TANKS ARE COMING
- Musical Shorts: BORRAH MINNEVITCH & HIS HARMONICA SCHOOL and THE UNITED STATES ARMY AIR FORCE BAND
-Classic Cartoon: THE DOVER BOYS AT PIMENTO UNIVERSITY, OR, THE RIVALS OF ROQUEFORT HALL
- Trailers of DESPERATE JOURNEY and 1942’s MURDER IN THE BIG HOUSE

NORTHERN PURSUIT(1943)
Icebound wilds and ice-blooded Nazis! Canadian officer Flynn infiltrates a cadre of Nazi saboteurs, pretending to guide them toward their destination while unraveling their scheme. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies1943 Short Subjects Gallery:
- Vintage Newsreel
- Wartime Short: THE REAR GUNNER
- Musical Short: ALL-STAR MELODY MASTERS
- Drama Short: OVER THE WALL
- Classic Cartoon: HOP AND GO
- Trailers of NORTHERN PURSUIT and 1943’s THE CONSTANT NYMPH

EDGE OF DARKNESS(1943)
Resistance fighters battle the Nazis in occupied Norway. Directed by Lewis Milestone.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies1943 Short Subjects Gallery:
- Vintage Newsreel
- Musical Short: THE UNITED STATES SERVICE BANDS
- Classic Cartoons: HISS AND MAKE UP and TO DUCK…. OR NOT TO DUCK
- Trailers of EDGE OF DARKNESS and 1943’s THE HARD WAY

UNCERTAIN GLORY(1944)
A French playboy gets serious when his country is threatened during World War II. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies1944 Short Subjects Gallery:
- Vintage Newsreel
- Musical Short: UNITED STATES COAST GUARD BAND
- Classic Cartoons: BROTHER BRAT and RUSSIAN RHAPSODY
- Trailers of UNCERTAIN GLORY and 1944’s THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS

OBJECTIVE, BURMA!(1945)
An American platoon parachutes into Burma to take out a strategic Japanese outpost. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Commentary by Historians Rudy Behlmer, Jon Burlingame and Frank Thompson
Warner Night at the Movies 1945Short Subjects Gallery:
- Vintage Newsreel
-Joe McDoakes Comedy Short: SO YOU THINK YOU'RE ALLERGIC
- Classic Cartoon: A TALE OF TWO MICE
- Trailers of OBJECTIVE, BURMA! and 1945’s PRIDE OF THE MARINES

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 am

Hopefully a better print of Hop and Go will be used.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 am

Good to see two more Tashlins in there. A shame they likely won't be cleaned up in any way...

EDIT: And it looks like one of the Tashlin cartoons, "A Tale of Two Mice", has already been released on DVD in another Errol Flynn set.

Jack G.

Postby Jack G. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:54 pm

I'd like to have the Tashlin cartoons, too!

But I'm not going to by a set for the bonus.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Yes, I noticed too that there is a bit of double-dipping from the LTGC volumes... I don't believe "Brother Brat" was ever released on DVD, was it?

The only one of those films that I currently own is "Objective: Burma"... I'm hoping that WBHE will eventually issue each of the films in this collection as a separate DVD set; just because I don't think I would want to own every one of those films.

I have a lot of those "Warner Night at the Movies" compilations; they're a lot of fun to watch. In the last few individual releases, however, WBHE has cut corners on the menu options.

I forget if the "play all" feature is no longer available for each of the separate bonus features (short subjects, trailers, newsreels) or if it's just the reverse situation; meaning that you can play all in succession but not each one separately. Whichever one it is, I remember being very annoyed by this aspect of the menu options and thinking that it is a bit of an inconvenience to the viewer.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm

A while back, I Netflixed several of the WHV features with cartoon bonuses. My findings have found that if a cartoon in the bonus features section had previously been restored for a LTGC release, it will be that same restored transfer presented on that DVD. Of course, if it had not been restored for a LTGC, then it obviously is an unrestored transfer.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Can't wait for this release, with classic film on DVD being such a rarity these days! 'Bout time we got the rest of the Flynn/Walsh features!

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Slightly OT, I know, but Warner Bros. Archives now has a page on Facebook. Apparently you can give them feedback on their latest releases. This might provide a good opportunity to ask them if there are any Looney Tune or MGM cartoon DVD's on their future release schedule.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”