Super Stars second wave titles "leaked"

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:However the quality of I Taw a Putty Tat (1948) included in the Bugs Bunny SUperstar is horrable and badly faided I did like to see that short restored properly (+all the other unrelsed/unrestored shorts)

It is my understanding that between that version and the "Dubbed Version", that was the only uncut transfer that was available. The "Dubbed Version" of "I Taw a Putty Tat" has the blackface gag edited out of it completely, much like the edits that are done to the "Dubbed Version" masters of "September in the Rain" (the Jolson scene survives intact, but the scene with Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong is cut), "Confederate Honey", "Aviation Vacation" and "Crazy Cruise" (the pygmy/cannibal scene is cut, but the Japanese vulture scene survives intact) just to name a few.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Steve Siegert wrote:It is my understanding that between that version and the "Dubbed Version", that was the only uncut transfer that was available. The "Dubbed Version" of "I Taw a Putty Tat" has the blackface gag edited out of it completely, much like the edits that are done to the "Dubbed Version" masters of "September in the Rain" (the Jolson scene survives intact, but the scene with Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong is cut), "Confederate Honey", "Aviation Vacation" and "Crazy Cruise" (the pygmy/cannibal scene is cut, but the Japanese vulture scene survives intact) just to name a few.

It doesn't mean it cant be restored. :tweety:
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Greg Method

Postby Greg Method » Fri May 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Well, guess what, another "Super Stars" title has been added..."Bugs Bunny: Wascally Wabbit." Like before, there is no other information on this one yet.

But just to show that I'm not crazy (at least, not because of this), I've included a screen grab of the search results.

SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Shouldn't it be "Wascawwy Wabbit"?
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri May 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Hmm, vewwwy intewesting.

BTW, here are the unrestored/unreleased Bugs titles left after Hare Extraordinaire is released:

-Elmer's Pet Rabbit
-All This and Rabbit Stew [Don't hold yer breath]
-Hold the Lion, Please
-Fresh Hare
-Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
-What's Cookin, Doc?
-Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips
-The Unruly Hare
-Racketeer Rabbit
-A Feather in His Hare
-Hot Cross Bunny
-Hare Splitter
-A-Lad in His Lamp
-Knights Must Fall
-Which is Witch
-Rabbit Every Monday
-The Fair-Haired Hare
-His Hare-Raising Tale
-The Hasty Hare
-Hare Lift

[After 1953 cut-off]
-Upswept Hare
-Robot Rabbit
-Captain Hareblower
-No Parking Hare
-Yankee Doodle Bugs
-Beanstalk Bunny
-Hare Brush
-Rabbitson Crusoe
-Half-Fare Hare
-Piker's Peak
-Bugsy and Mugsy
-Hare-Less Wolf
-Hare-Way to the Stars
-Now Hare This
-Pre-Hysterical Hare
-Hare-Abian Nights
-Backwoods Bunny
-Wild and Woolly Hare
-Bonanza Bunny
-A Witch's Tangled Hare
-Horse Hare
-Rabbit's Feat
-Compressed Hare
-Prince Violent
-Wet Hare
-Bill of Hare
-Shishkabugs
-Devil's Feud Cake
-Hare-Breadth Hurry
-The Unmentionables
-Dumb Patrol

So, plenty of material left for another Bugs set, even if they limited themselves to post-53 titles. Heck, even from the post-53 batch alone, they can squeeze out two more Bugs sets. Of course, some of those pre-53 titles desperately need an official DVD release and/or restoration, but I digress.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Fri May 14, 2010 3:48 pm

So this is separate from the Deluxe Anniversary Bugs release that's already been planned? Sure, whatever.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Sat May 15, 2010 7:37 am

Here's also a list of all the Daffy Duck cartoons yet to be restored / released on disc (not counting extra features on old movies):

Porky's Duck Hunt
Porky and Daffy
Scalp Trouble
Porky's Last Stand
A Coy Decoy
The Henpecked Duck
Daffy's Southern Exposure
The Impatient Patient
The Daffy Duckaroo
Tom Turk and Daffy
Slightly Daffy
Aint That Ducky
Daffy Doodles
Along Came Daffy
Mexican Joyride
What Makes Daffy Duck
Holiday For Drumsticks
Riff Raffy Daffy
His Bitter Half
Thumb Fun
Cracked Quack
Fool Coverage

post-1953
Muscle Tussle
Quack Shot
Beanstalk Bunny
The High and the Flighty
Boston Quackie
Don't Axe Me
China Jones
Quackodile Tears
Good Noose
Fast Buck Duck
Aqua Duck
It's Nice to Have a Mouse Around the House
Moby Duck
Assault and Peppered
Well Worn Daffy
Corn on the Cop
Tease For Two
Chili Con Corny
Go Go Amigo
Astroduck
Mucho Locos
Mexican Mousepiece
Daffy Rents
Snow Excuse
A Squeak in the Deep
Feather Finger
Swing Ding Amigo
A Taste of Catnip
Daffy's Diner
The Quacker Tracker
The Music Mice-tro
The Spy Swatter
Speedy Ghost to Town
Rodent to Stardom
Go Away Stowaway
Skyscraper Caper
See Ya Later, Gladiator

There are some on this list that many of us are in no hurry to see released of course. I don't think I have to point those out.
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat May 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Greg Method wrote:So if anything, this confirms that Foggy will be getting a DVD in this next assortment, that the series is in fact continuing, and that they seemingly have found a way to work with the post-1953 limitations.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what "post-1953 limitations" are you talking about?

Mike

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:24 pm

It may be difficult for them to get "Pre-Hysterical Hare" on DVD, as well as "Weasel While You Work," "A Bird in a Bonnet" and "Gopher Broke" (not sure how the latter would fit on a DVD set, maybe in an All-Stars collection). The reason why?

MUSIC RIGHTS.

I mean, look at it this way. The only two of the "Seely Six" WB cartoons released on home video are "Hook, Line and Stinker" and "Hip, Hip, Hurry!", both of which are the Road Runner cartoons. I imagine WB must've been lucky to clear the music rights for those two cartoons, cause the home video rights for those old Capitol Hi-Q music cues can be VERY expensive. This is one reason why we didn't see a DVD release of the 1959-1961 "Quick Draw McGraw" episodes, and why the first attempt to release the old Gumby cartoons on DVD back in 2002 resulted in them using the 1988 redubbed versions using weird synthesizer music and re-recorded voices (with only half of the original voice cast).

Being able to clear the rights for only two 6-minute shorts using the music seems easier than doing so for all six of them. Just pray we don't wind up getting a redubbed version of "Pre-hysterical Hare" with a fake synth orchestral track and Billy West replacing the Mel Blanc voices. :p

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Sat May 15, 2010 6:01 pm

wiley207 wrote:It may be difficult for them to get "Pre-Hysterical Hare" on DVD, as well as "Weasel While You Work," "A Bird in a Bonnet" and "Gopher Broke" (not sure how the latter would fit on a DVD set, maybe in an All-Stars collection). The reason why?

MUSIC RIGHTS.
I'm going to stop you right there.
You're creating a new urban legend from scratch—by presuming, with no evidence, that Warner's deal with Capitol must have been the same as Hanna-Barbera's deal.

So Hanna-Barbera's deal didn't involve video (or other "new media") rights to the music cues? Maybe Warner's deal did.

Anyway, unless we know for sure, it's playing with fire to claim that Warner doesn't have the rights to do something. Let's not convince them, huh?
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”