Super Stars second wave titles "leaked"

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 pm

As I previously said, I won't be buying it if it only includes post-1953 (it doesn't include the stuff made in the 1935-1944 years) To me, some things don't even deserve still existing more than 50 years since their release.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 am

matiasdf wrote: To me, some things don't even deserve still existing more than 50 years since their release.
Are you seriously suggesting that any WB short post-1946 deserves to rot in a vault because you personally don't like them? If so, that's absurd.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am

Speedy Boris wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that any WB short post-1946 deserves to rot in a vault because you personally don't like them? If so, that's absurd.

This, but I want too add even if we don't like certain cartoons I do see complete collection more valueable than having an incomplete collection of shorts we only like. As things stands now there lots of hole in my LT/MM collection that needs too be filled. If we will end up with warner only haveing :bosko: or :daffy::speedy: cartoons left too be relesed I would want them so I can complete my collection.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

r0pead0pe

Url?

Postby r0pead0pe » Mon May 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Greg Method wrote:Here's something fun and strange all at the same time. I was on Warner Home Video's press site checking to see if any back cover art was added yet to their listings for the Bugs and Daffy DVDs.

Where would that be? I was trying to see if I could keep up-to-date and could not find the WB site that you mention.
:foggy:

Greg Method

Postby Greg Method » Mon May 17, 2010 2:54 pm

r0pead0pe wrote:Where would that be? I was trying to see if I could keep up-to-date and could not find the WB site that you mention.

www.whvdirect.com

One does need to register to the site first...can't remember if there's any difficult hoops to jump through or not.
SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue May 18, 2010 2:52 am

Speedy Boris wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that any WB short post-1946 deserves to rot in a vault because you personally don't like them? If so, that's absurd.

Well, he didn't say "all."

Anyone who thinks that animation died at each and every studio when Bob Clampett escaped from Eddie Selzer can not be taken seriously and should get treatment for Fanboy-itis.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Tue May 18, 2010 6:45 am

Why are they only interested in the widescreen cartoons? Is it that the necessary restoarion work and cheaper cost renders them more affordable, or is this some kind of strange reverse p&s mentality wherein Warners marketing department assume that people only want to see widescreen format on their new HDTVs?? You'd think that if the latter were taken into account, considering the aim of the company is to market them as family friendly product rather than appease cinephiles, they'd recognize that such an audience would be completely oblivious to that sort of thing in the first place. I can at least undertsand the mentality behind marketing their color cartoon library to a general market even if I disagree with their focus and temporary neglect for the vintage b&w films which are in much dire need of preservation, but now they're only doing widescreen shorts... if not cost incentive, then why??

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Tue May 18, 2010 7:08 am

Fibber Fox wrote:Well, he didn't say "all."

Anyone who thinks that animation died at each and every studio when Bob Clampett escaped from Eddie Selzer can not be taken seriously and should get treatment for Fanboy-itis.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
That's WRONG. I NEVER said so. I said that shorts' quality dropped considerably, ONLY IN THE CASE OF WB.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Tue May 18, 2010 7:14 am

matiasdf wrote:That's WRONG. I NEVER said so. I said that shorts' quality dropped considerably, ONLY IN THE CASE OF WB.

Quality of Disney shorts drooped conisderably when Iwerks left Disney.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Tue May 18, 2010 7:46 am

Well, the quality definately didn't drop in the case of Charles M. Jones. His most popular shorts were made between 1948 and 1957 (although I found his pre-48 stuff more entertaining and more underrated at times).

Freleng's and McKimson's cartoons were great and legit until the Pierce-Foster swap, which turned out to be one of the most flawed moves for the studio.
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”