Holy Smokes - More R&B? Bullwinkle Season 4

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Cdawg

Postby Cdawg » Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm

This is good news! I had just asked about this on the Termite Terrace main site. I have a shelf full of those old video tapes. It would be great to have two new full season boxes!
and I'm affectionate, too!

Daffyfan2004

Postby Daffyfan2004 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Well, it's good to hear that. I sort of thought the reason that they only released the first three seasons was that they were sort of the original 'Rocky Show.' I mean, I know season 3 was actually season one of 'The Bullwinkle Show,' but some eps or inserts seemed like they were in production before then. Anyway, that would be something to look forward to. I have seen two season 4 VHS eps that are available for rental at my public library, and I haven't really been able to find the 'Best of' series anywhere. (Well, I think I have seen vol. 1 at that for sale at the Cracker Barrel gift shop, but that's mainly eps that are already on the first three box sets.) This is real good news. Thanks for that info.
Kim Possible: You may not rap, Wade, but you definitely rock!
----------------------------------------------
Ron: Wade, if this supergenius thing doesn't work out for you, you'd make a bon-diggity travel agent.
Wade: Nah, I'd have to leave my room.
-------------------------------------------
:befuddled Oooooh, this diwectow is starting to wub me the wong way!

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 am

The way the "shows" are presented on these DVDs actually don't bear much similarity to the way each of the half-hours unfolded on broadcast television back in the day.

While the R&B elements may be in their original broadcast order, most of the other features are not.

For example Dudley Do-Right and Aesop & Son were part of The Bullwinkle Show not Rocky & His Friends.

The "Best of" DVDs are all still available on Amazon.com. On "Best of R&B Vol. 1," the only adventure not on one of the season box sets was "The Guns of Abalone." On "Best of R&B Vol. 2," you get "Wottsamatta U." plus two other adventures that should be coming up on the Season 4 box set ("Treasure of Monte Zoom" and "Goof Gas").

The "Best of Boris & Natsha" disc is all adventures NOT scheduled for the next box set: "Pottsylvania Creeper," Moosylvania," and "Moosylvania Saved."

The "Dudley Do-Right" DVD contained one previously unreleased title. "Peabody & Sherman" contained 4 previously unreleased titles. "Fractured Fairy Tales" was all previously released entries.

Daffyfan2004

Postby Daffyfan2004 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:59 am

Yeah. I knew they were different than what was aired on television back in the day, but it's still good to see them nonetheless. That is interesting info. I was thinking maybe Dudley and Aesop did premiere on the original Rocky show. It would be nice to see the eps how they original aired, but having the first three seasons relased and the last two 'to be released' is great either way. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Ron: Wade, if this supergenius thing doesn't work out for you, you'd make a bon-diggity travel agent.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

dandu wrote:The Treasure Of Monte Zoom was the first Bullwinkle I ever watched! It was on those crappy but collectible Buena Vista cassettes, back then I had no idea that the episodes were butchered to death until I watched them on Cartoon Network a few years later.

The Buena Vista tapes were also my first exposure to the series, but I don't think they were crappy. Sure, each video (except Canadian Gothic, which had four Dudley Do-Right segments in place of a Rocky and Bullwinkle storyline) combined at least two parts of a R&B cliffhanger into one, and La Grande Moose cut a few entire chapters out of Box Top Robbery (ommitting the entire clock tower sequence), but they weren't bad. The box artwork on them is a lot better than the artwork on the season set DVDs, and they included a few episodes not included in the "Bullwinkle Show" syndication package (like Treasure of Monte Zoom, Goof Gas Attack, and Mooselvania... And honestly, those are among my favorites that were included, along with Rue Brittania). It would have been great if it had segments not included in either syndication package (the Bullwinke puppet sequences, the commercial intros), and if more "Rocky and Bullwinkle Fan Club" skits were included. If I was in charge I would have made more supporting sketch compilations like "Canadian Gothic", and I think I'd have released the three longest stroylines (leaving out all supporting segments to save time).

Though I think it's weird that the only one of those videos to contain two storylines (Whistler's Moose, which featured Mooselvania and Mooselvania Saved) even combined two chapters of both storylines (both were four-chapter stories). It's also odd how those are the only four-chapter stories that were reelased by Buena Vista.

Getting back to the main topic, it's interesting how this one will be two discs instead of four. I wonder if it'll have bonus features (I know, just be thankful we're even getting the fourth season after all these years...). I can live without another compilation of clips from the season, and I can live without a "Season 5 Preview" (especially if we have to wait another several years for season 5).

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Thu May 13, 2010 12:14 pm

FleischerFan wrote:
For example Dudley Do-Right and Aesop & Son were part of The Bullwinkle Show not Rocky & His Friends.

I think the same can be said about Mr. Know-It-All and Rocky and Bullwinkle Fan Club.

Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 pm

speedy fast wrote: Getting back to the main topic, it's interesting how this one will be two discs instead of four. I wonder if it'll have bonus features (I know, just be thankful we're even getting the fourth season after all these years...). I can live without another compilation of clips from the season, and I can live without a "Season 5 Preview" (especially if we have to wait another several years for season 5).

The 19 episodes will be roughly 7 hours of content spread across 2 (presumably) dual-layer DVDs, so there will in fact be about an hour's worth of space for extras on the set. Doubt we'll get that much, but extras are definitely a possibility.

I like how the international syndication package they use tries to include all the additional segments (FF, AS, DD, etc) without repeats, but I wonder if they will run out of unused segments for season 5 and how those last episodes are formatted in the package and what is repeated. But that's getting a little ahead of ourselves.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Bradskey wrote:The 19 episodes will be roughly 7 hours of content spread across 2 (presumably) dual-layer DVDs, so there will in fact be about an hour's worth of space for extras on the set. Doubt we'll get that much, but extras are definitely a possibility.

I like how the international syndication package they use tries to include all the additional segments (FF, AS, DD, etc) without repeats, but I wonder if they will run out of unused segments for season 5 and how those last episodes are formatted in the package and what is repeated. But that's getting a little ahead of ourselves.

ah-then if they're double layered DVDs--then it's like having 4 DVDS. Anyhow--I don't care if the segments begin to repeat--as long as they're all in the set.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Daffyfan2004

Postby Daffyfan2004 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:12 pm

speedy fast wrote:I think the same can be said about Mr. Know-It-All and Rocky and Bullwinkle Fan Club.

That's interesting. I never knew these things. I also wonder about the 'pull the rabbit out of the hat' gag. I wonder if that originated on the Rocky show or the Bullwinkle show. According to the TV.com guide I'm guessing the Bullwinkle show, but in one of those Rocky says 'and now it's time to meet Mr. Peabody' preceding a Peabody cartoon which would indicate that it came from 'The Rocky Show.' So I'm a little confused there.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sun May 16, 2010 8:48 am

IIRC, the "rabbit out of a hat" gag orginated on "Rocky & His Friends."

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”