Holy Smokes - More R&B? Bullwinkle Season 4

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Bristol

Postby Bristol » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:17 pm

I bought it today at Barnes and Noble. I've watched the first two episodes. Loved both of them. The colors are vibrant and beautiful. I so hope they release season 5 soon. I'm in heaven.

Beany Boy

Yes, We Got Some "BANANA"

Postby Beany Boy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:17 pm

The entire story arc of "BANANA FORMULA" is not only here, it caps off the set. I just received my copy of ROCKY & BULLWINKLE AND FRIENDS, THE COMPLETE FOURTH SEASON in the mail this week, and I can't stop watching it. The FRACTURED FAIRY TALES and AESOP & SON entries just seem to get better as the series now goes from being "ROCKY & HIS FRIENDS" to "THE BULLWINKLE SHOW", and you can see this with Bullwinkle becoming more in focus than Rocky, who is now sometimes the reluctant tag-along when Bullwinkle is pulled into the plots, as he is in the very first entry, "PAINTING THEFT". There is so much good adult humor here, and Jay Ward's usual amount of odd name-dropping of perhaps beloved silent film stars...who is Eileen Pringle? Daws Butler also continues to be a large part of the voice cast in the FRACTURED FAIRY TALE series, and he is at his best in this series. I do really hope that Classic Media sees the fruits of their labor here, and I hope we get a COMPLETE SEASON FIVE before too long. I'd love to have it before year's end, but hey, for now, I'm just glad that we have this set, nicely packaged, similar to "GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE", but no extras. I am guessing that, because the story arcs and complete half-hours had to fit on these two disks, there was no room for extras? Sad, because a few CAP'N CRUNCH or related cereal ads would ahve been a pleasant extra. Here's hoping that good things come of this reasonably priced release. I hope the fans support it.
nickramer wrote:Does this mean I'll get "The Banana Formula" finally?

Beany Boy

"Tune In...Tomorrow?"

Postby Beany Boy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:39 pm

One curious thing I've continuously noted when I watch "JET FUEL FORMULA" opening THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON, the end of the first episode closes with the arrator, William Conrad, stating "Tune in tomorrow, won't you?..." So what does this mean? Was the very first premier half hour only including *ONE* chapter of the first story before it was decided that "ROCKY & HIS FRIENDS" would include two full chapters of a given story? Sadly, so many syndicated packages of the combined "ROCKY & HIS FRIENDS" and "THE BULLWINKLE SHOW" have blurred the proper order of things, save for what chapter of what story goes where. We can thank, somewhat, Keith Scott's book, THE MOOSE THAT ROARED for clearing up some inconsistancies, but there are some questions that no one seems to be able to answer, like the one I've posed here. I think Jay Ward had even blurred his own history, save for the simplest information which helped to neatly compile all the shows in the various box sets put out by Classic Media, and these, despite the nagging reinventions and reconfigurations that don't always jibe with our memories of the shows, are the closest to the originals that I think we'll ever see unless someone very well connected and dilligent has actually swiped absolute originals that date back to the actual network premiers of the various stories and can allow us to see these shows as they really were introduced. Calling all collectors, please! In the meantime, you won't be completely disappointed with this wonderful new set!
Daffyfan2004 wrote:That's interesting. I never knew these things. I also wonder about the 'pull the rabbit out of the hat' gag. I wonder if that originated on the Rocky show or the Bullwinkle show. According to the TV.com guide I'm guessing the Bullwinkle show, but in one of those Rocky says 'and now it's time to meet Mr. Peabody' preceding a Peabody cartoon which would indicate that it came from 'The Rocky Show.' So I'm a little confused there.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”