Cover Art and Some More Info for Essential Bugs Bunny

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Eh, the bonus material kinda makes it up. I'll still pick it up if I see it in stores.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:14 pm

"Any Bonds Today" had better be uncut.

"How Bugs Bunny Won the West" is a HORRIBLE special, just to give a heads up. I think it was just clips from various Bugs/Sam cartoons with a narration talking about Bugs like he's a legendary western hero or something like that.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:35 pm

I thought it said that there would be 17 shorts, but I only counted 16. I don't think I would consider "Elmer's Candid Camera" to be "essential" as a Bugs Bunny cartoon (and not just because it's a pre-Bugs character).

I am surprised that only one classic Yosimite Sam short is included, and that no Tasmanian Devil cartoons are included.

speedy fast wrote:
I think I'll start speculating what will be included on the Bugs set. Here's my predictions:

Disc 1 - 12 classic cartoons
1. A Wild Hare
2. Hawiatha's Rabbit Hunt or What's Cookin', Doc?
3. one of the Cecil Turtle cartoons
4. one of the "fat Elmer Fudd" cartoons
5. Baseball Bugs (confirmed by photos in that poster ad)
6. Hare Trigger or Bugs Bunny Rides Again
7. The Hasty Hare or Hare-Way to the Stars
8. The Rabbit of Seville (confirmed by poster ad photos)
9. one of the "hunter trilogy" cartoons
10. Knighty Knight Bugs or Southern Fried Rabbit
11. one of the Tasmanian Devil cartoons
12. What's Opera, Doc?

Disc 2 - 7 cartoons
confirmed by ad:
1. Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers
2. Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas
3. Carrotblanca

Guesses/ Predictions:
4. Porky's Hare Hunt
5. Hare 'Um Scare 'Um (one of the Bugs designs seen on the box looks like the "Hare 'Um Scare 'Um" design)
6. Any Bonds Today?
7. Hare Meets Herr

Well, looks like ten of my predictions were correct (though five were confirmed before I made predictions).

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:"How Bugs Bunny Won the West" is a HORRIBLE special, just to give a heads up. I think it was just clips from various Bugs/Sam cartoons with a narration talking about Bugs like he's a legendary western hero or something like that.
On the plus side, it does contain the majority of "Bonanza Bunny", which isn't on DVD yet.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:"How Bugs Bunny Won the West" is a HORRIBLE special, just to give a heads up. I think it was just clips from various Bugs/Sam cartoons with a narration talking about Bugs like he's a legendary western hero or something like that.

Daffy was also in it, in footage from "Aqua Duck".

And it was hosted by the late Denver Pyle, of "Dukes of Hazzard" fame.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Interesting. Guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement to see how accurate this information is.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:Interesting. Guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement to see how accurate this information is.
The info came from WB Shop, so it's safe to say it's pretty accurate. Unless, of course, there are last minute changes before October.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:The info came from WB Shop, so it's safe to say it's pretty accurate. Unless, of course, there are last minute changes before October.

Thanks for the source! Funny thing, I actually checked the WB Shop site the other night to see if they had any information... so this had to have been added pretty recently. Note that the WB Shop site also mentions the live action/animated segment from My Dream is Yours, along with an episode of The Bugs Bunny Show.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Jon Cooke wrote:Thanks for the source! Funny thing, I actually checked the WB Shop site the other night to see if they had any information... so this had to have been added pretty recently. Note that the WB Shop site also mentions the live action/animated segment from My Dream is Yours, along with an episode of The Bugs Bunny Show.

Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers isn't listed though. Hopefully that's a mistake.

I hope that's a previously unreleased BB Show episode.

Randon Useless Note: My final post at Marine Terrace Apartments
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Just what I feared, no previously unreleased classic era shorts are being restored for this release, although I more than likely will buy this set to have an official release of "Any Bonds Today?" which will more than likely be uncut. So far, Warner has had fairly good quality control over their home-grown products (now everyone can, and probably will, place the blame on me if ABT does end up being edited).

But, given that all the goodies are going to be in the bonus features, and I already have all the GC's and the Academy Awards set, I probably won't rush to the store to buy this the day it comes out.

I'd still like to wait and see an officially official contents list, since dvdaf lists "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers" (as originally stated on the flyer and TVshowsonDvd press release), but then again, I also hope it includes an episode of "The Bugs Bunny Show" (a different one than the one on the Saturday Morning set).
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”