Cover Art and Some More Info for Essential Bugs Bunny

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:39 am

When did it become a policy that all Warner animation releases have ot suck?

(Not just this, but the tom and Jerry as well)
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 am

Leviathan wrote:When did it become a policy that all Warner animation releases have ot suck?

(Not just this, but the tom and Jerry as well)

That's a bit harsh. This release isn't aimed at collectors like us. It is to get a family-friendly "gift" product on the Wal-mart/Target/Best Buy shelves for the Christmas shopping season. With all the money WB poured in to the restoration, I don't blame them for trying to find new ways to sell the cartoons that have already had work done (and, to be honest, I'd say all the Bugs cartoons besides maybe "Beanstalk Bunny" most people would consider "essential" are already out on DVD). We still have the Super Stars series to look forward to.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 pm

This is a hard sell to those of us that already have most of the LT on DVD, but I just thought of an idea that some of you might want to also try: I'm probably going to buy this for my mom as a Christmas present (she's a LT fan), but I'll only give her the first disc. I doubt she'd care about the contents of disc 2 that much, but disc 1 has some of her favorites like "Rabbit of Seville" and "What's Opera Doc?" that she doesn't own yet. Meanwhile, disc 2 has some content that -I- don't have on DVD yet. So we both walk away winners.

I'll run it by her and see what she says.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:39 pm

I'll think about getting it. "Wide World of Sports" is the only Terry and Greg special I have not seen (I missed some chances of renting it at a video store).

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:41 pm

A while back when it was announced there'd be a "Bugs Bunny Through the Decades" set (I assume this is what it was meant to be) I listed some cartoons I would have included, including Show Biz Bugs, and somebody thought that would be more appropriate for a Daffy Duck set. And it ended up on this set.

It seems like this is the first Bugs Bunny release to include What's Opera, Doc? The Golden Jubilee collection included it on the Elmer Fudd and Chuck Jones volumes, and it's inclusion in the second Golden Collection was NOT in the Bugs Bunny disc but a generic musicals/show buisness cartoons disc. Now I'm not sure whether it was included in any Bugs Bunny laserdiscs.

Greg Method

Postby Greg Method » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:31 pm

"What's Opera, Doc?" was included on the "Looney Tunes Curtain Calls" laserdisc.

I have a feeling the second disc of this set was originally intended to be the "Bugs Bunny Through the Decades" compilation, as the originally announced line-up covered almost every decade from the 1940s to the 2000s.
SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 pm

[quote="Greg Method"]

I didn't see anything from the 1960s listed (aside from the fact that some sites list an episode of The Bugs Bunny Show as being included).

If an "Essential Daffy Duck" collection is released, I can see it being abit like this:

Disc 1:
  • Daffy Duck and Egghead
  • Daffy Duck and the Dinosaur
  • To Duck or Not to Duck
  • Draftee Daffy
  • Baby Bottleneck
  • The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
  • Daffy Dilly
  • Duck Amuck
  • A Star is Bored
  • Duck Dogers and the 24th and a Half Century
  • The Scarlett Pumperknickle
  • Duck! Rabbit! Duck!

Disc 2: The Daffy Duck Vault
Black and White Daffy -
  • Porky's Duck Hunt
  • Porky and Daffy
  • The Daffy Doc
Daffy and Speedy -
  • It's Nice to Have a Mouse Around the House
  • Feather Finger
  • A Taste of Catnip
More Daffy -
  • The Duxorcist
  • Daffy's Thanks-for-Giving Special
  • And a Daffy Duck featurette

That ideal disc 2 is more what I'd want than what I think (and I think I was a bit more generous to Daffy than Warner is with Bugs on the "Bugs Bunny Vault" disc). But somehow I think black and white cartoons (especially unrestored ones) would appear in the vault disc if at all.

And I don't think any Daffy and Speedy cartoons will be included, but one can hope, right?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Daffy Duck Meets the Groovy Goulies, anyone?
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Daffy Duck Meets the Groovy Goulies, anyone?

I'm pretty sure the rights are too tied up to ever be released on DVD and that isn't a bad thing.

Shemp

Postby Shemp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:27 pm

WHV's press release was posted today (7/13) at Home Theater Forum.

An episode of THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW is not listed.

Bonus features, in addition to the previously mentioned ...WON THE WEST, ...WORLD OF SPORTS and unedited BUNNY SNATCHERS include:
- AIN'T I A STINKER? (2010) featurette
- Repeats of the TV specials ...BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER and CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”