Cover Art and Some More Info for Essential Bugs Bunny

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Greg Method wrote:I think the no double-dipping rule only applies to the "main" series of DVD releases (Golden Collection and now Super Stars). Miscellaneous releases such as this, the Oscars sets, and the single movie/TV special DVDs are probably exempt from that since they aren't necessarily targeted to collectors and completists of the shorts.

I will most likely be getting this, if no other reason than to get "Bunny Snatchers" and (to a lesser degree) "Hare and Loathing" in DVD quality.

What I meant was, if we get 3 classic era Bugs shorts (1940-1964) as the new-to-DVD shorts, mixed in with a bunch of shorts previously released on DVD, that would contradict the statement that there would be no double-dipping to get us to buy a set with just a select few titles that previously weren't released on DVD.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

grundle

Postby grundle » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:16 pm

There are way more than 17 "essential" Bugs Bunny cartoons. I think the title of this DVD set is based on the very big selling, although poorly named "essential" CD series that's been out for a few years. I say "poorly named" because, as I'm sure Billy Joel Fan can tell you, the "Essential Billly Joel" does not have "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant," which is, perhaps, Billy Joel's best loved song. So just because something is called "essential" doesn't mean that that title is accurate. That being said, I am going to buy this.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:20 pm

"What's Opera, Doc?" will be one of the cartoons.

I'm psychic.

BTW, I wonder why it's just 17 cartoons. Why such a random, uneven number?

Sorry, I have OCD.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:"What's Opera, Doc?" will be one of the cartoons.

I'm psychic.

BTW, I wonder why it's just 17 cartoons. Why such a random, uneven number?

Sorry, I have OCD.

I think there should be 26-30, as in the spotlight collections.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Steve Siegert wrote:What I meant was, if we get 3 classic era Bugs shorts (1940-1964) as the new-to-DVD shorts, mixed in with a bunch of shorts previously released on DVD, that would contradict the statement that there would be no double-dipping to get us to buy a set with just a select few titles that previously weren't released on DVD.

I thought that statement referred solely to whatever the main series of Looney Tunes releases would be.

Is it just me or is it unclear whether the three "new-to-DVD shorts" are referring to all included shorts or just the 1949-1964 shorts? And I wonder if "New-to-DVD" means that litereally or if it just refers to shorts not in the Golden Collections and Super Stars sets. I wonder if Jerry Beck can confirm what I'm wondering.

I wonder how many classic unreleased Bugs shorts there are that fans generally think of as "essential". I see The Hasty Hare, Hare-Way to the Stars, The Unmentionables, and maybe Bugsy and Musgy and Beanstalk Bunny as essential Bugs Bunny cartoons. I can't remember if Racketeer Rabbit has been released but I see that as essential.

And if that "new-to-DVD" statement is only referring to shorts that are in the Golden Collections/Super Stars releases, then I would lump A Wild Hare, Hawiatha's Rabbit Hunt, and What's Cooking, Doc? as essential (and by coincidence those three were included and remastered in the academy awards set, so remastering wouldn't need to be done).

I wonder if the rare Bugs Bunny in Space special will be included. Or Happy Birthday Bugs: Fifty Looney Years.

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:04 pm

speedy fast wrote:And if that "new-to-DVD" statement is only referring to shorts that are in the Golden Collections/Super Stars releases, then I would lump A Wild Hare, Hawiatha's Rabbit Hunt, and What's Cooking, Doc? as essential (and by coincidence those three were included and remastered in the academy awards set, so remastering wouldn't need to be done).

Actually, "What's Cookin' Doc?" has not been restored yet. The version on the Academy Awards set was the "Dubbed Version" (the cartoon was only a bonus feature and not part of the main program). But, I can't argue with the fact that it is one of the ones that should be restored for a proper release on DVD.
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:40 pm

On one hand I don't have a problem with them having an "Essential Bugs" DVD set containing cartoons already released on past LTGC sets; it is nice to have a bunch of a stars best stuff in one place; but ...

My only concern is if the presence on the store shelves of this item delays further DVDs of stuff that we haven't seen yet.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 pm

I won't be surprised if we eventually get "essential" Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester & Tweety, and maybe essential Road Runner collections (and considering Warner has the video rights to Sesame Street, I'd like to see some similar "Essential Sesame Street" sets, especially focusing on characters). I also won't be surprised if we get a "Essential Bugs Bunny Vol. 2" sometime.

I think I'll start speculating what will be included on the Bugs set. Here's my predictions:

Disc 1 - 12 classic cartoons
1. A Wild Hare
2. Hawiatha's Rabbit Hunt or What's Cookin', Doc?
3. one of the Cecil Turtle cartoons
4. one of the "fat Elmer Fudd" cartoons
5. Baseball Bugs (confirmed by photos in that poster ad)
6. Hare Trigger or Bugs Bunny Rides Again
7. The Hasty Hare or Hare-Way to the Stars
8. The Rabbit of Seville (confirmed by poster ad photos)
9. one of the "hunter trilogy" cartoons
10. Knighty Knight Bugs or Southern Fried Rabbit
11. one of the Tasmanian Devil cartoons
12. What's Opera, Doc?

Disc 2 - 7 cartoons
confirmed by ad:
1. Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers
2. Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas
3. Carrotblanca

Guesses/ Predictions:
4. Porky's Hare Hunt
5. Hare 'Um Scare 'Um (one of the Bugs designs seen on the box looks like the "Hare 'Um Scare 'Um" design)
6. Any Bonds Today?
7. Hare Meets Herr

That's just speculation. Chances are some of what I put down won't be on there (though in cases where I listed two things as guesses, not expecting both, I'll be surprised if "both" appear). And I have a feeling that my list breaks that "Three new-to-DVD" rule, but my knowledge of Looney Tunes DVDs is limited (well, limited outside the Golden Collections, and even then, I sometimes forget whether certain cartoons are included).

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm

speedy fast wrote: 5. Hare 'Um Scare 'Um (one of the Bugs designs seen on the box looks like the "Hare 'Um Scare 'Um" design)

It's the 'A Wild Hare' design.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:37 pm

The full cartoons listings is finally revealed. And i'm very disappointed!

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?reldt=2010&pub=warner&rel=a&has=essential+bugs+bunny&rgn=us&init_form=str0_reldt_2010*str1_pub_warner*str2_rel_a*str3_has_essential+bugs+bunny*rgn_us

Did it's mean they will corrected the audio track for "Rabbit of Seville" and "Rabbit Fire"?

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”