Looney Tunes Super Stars DVD's Are Widescreen

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Jughead Jones

Looney Tunes Super Stars DVD's Are Widescreen

Postby Jughead Jones » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Today I received my Looney Tunes Super Stars dvd's. I don't know whether or not this is news but all of the cartoons are presented in widescreen except for the following:

Bugs -

*Mutiny on the Bunny

*Bushy Hare

* Hare We Go

*Foxy by Proxy

* Hare Trimmed

Daffy -

*Tick Tock Tuckered

*Nasty Quacks

*Daffy Dilly

*Wise Quackers

*The Prize Pest

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

How delightful.

Are all the cartoons at least restored, or did they botch that up too?
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I think better question is how did he get the DVDs 2 days early? :confused: This are set to come out after 2 days i.e 10th of august. I wonder if any legal copys of those DVDs have been leaked to distribution. I even wonder if op did pre-order from Amazon or this is something else.

I personally think there is little truth in what op is saying, unless proved other wise , ONE name spring to mind when I think about Looney Tunes Super Stars that name is Jerry Beck. He never said on Stu or elsewhere that these were going to be widescreen product even if they mostly limited to the post-1953 rule, and since all post-1953 cartoons on LTGC are in 1:33 aspect ratio so why would Warner suddenly wants make a widescreen version of post 1953 cartoons. I dont recall that this was going to be the case and the on of the main bases for the April is postponement, otherwise Jerry has lot of explanation do to on the Stu Show. But Jerry, if you are reading this thread maybe you could be so kind to enlighten us if op is telling the truth or not.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:08 pm

This can't be good. :(
Seriously, what happened to WHV, and their quality work?

Could you post some screenshots?

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 pm

This is a rather odd turn of events. :confused:

Just curious - is "Daffy Dilly" still a Blue Ribbon reissue?

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Depending on your seller, DVDs often come early; with smaller releases, no one really cares about breaking street date; it even happens at times in chains like Best Buy. (My understanding is that one of the sellers who exports to Europe is actually the biggest violator of street dates, so it's common for European buyers of American DVDs to get them ahead of official US street date, sometimes by several weeks.)

tristar

Postby tristar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Hold on a second, not that I'm advocating the presentation of these shorts in widescreen, but weren't the late-50s WB shorts produced in full-frame, but released to theatres in widescreen?

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:17 pm

All theatrical cartoons released after the mid-fifties were laid out so that the top and bottom can be matted off. Don't forget that movie theaters started going widescreen by then. It was still photographed in Academy ratio because they knew they were going to end up on television anyway.

So, it's not exactly clear on which format is "correct".

The exceptions you listed were made before the new formatting took place, so they're presented as that.
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

jlppr

Postby jlppr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 pm

not to start anything but what is the big deal if they're wide-screen or full frame?

this is meant to be an actual question not sarcasm

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Oh, I was a bit worried when I first read the thread title but assuming the post-54 shorts were made with widescreen in mind, I give this a free pass. Remember, Jerry did say that the shorts from 1954 on could be restored on a much more affordable budget. I assume OAR restoration is a part of the process as well. Though it'll be a bit weird watching classic Looney Tunes in a 1.85 ratio.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”