Looney Tunes Super Stars DVD's Are Widescreen

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Philo & Gunge wrote:I can even deal with the Cinemascope ratio of Looney Tunes: Back in Action

I can't. The aspect ratio that CN HD showed weeks ago is the version I prefer.
But I can't help but wonder, will the post-1953 shorts (including the modern shorts) on the upcoming Essential Bugs Bunny collection be matted?

Most of the Bugs cartoons, I believe, are already on the Golden collections, so if any post-53 shorts are in widescreen, who cares?

"What's Opera, Doc?" is gonna look, butchered though.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Most of the Bugs cartoons, I believe, are already on the Golden collections, so if any post-53 shorts are in widescreen, who cares?

"What's Opera, Doc?" is gonna look, butchered though.

Yeah... all the classic shorts on that set except A Wild Hare were on Golden Collections. But you can't help but wonder. I wouldn't mind having the modern shorts which probably were made with widescreen in mind with OAR but with shorts like What's Opera, Doc?... yeah, I hope there's no cropping. I planned on getting my friends copies of that set for Christmas.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

jsz1002

Postby jsz1002 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:36 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:Levathina has to be spot on this "be glad what you got thing" is getting tiring, and I want point out Jerry Beck said on Stu Show that he was surprised that finding out about the wide screen transfers so simply Warner did something they were not supposed to do, also keep in mind it wasn't George Feltensten's team that worked on this DVDs it was the family division the same division as have been raping Tom and Jerry for years. If George had worked on this DVDs Im pretty sure that his Wide screen "**** up" had never happened in first place. So I think everyone has wright to express there displeasure with the those transfers, I also want point out Live-action and animation are different medium so matting in Live-action is to hide goofs first and foremost, wile matting in animation removes the back ground art and that art im pretty sure that everyone on here at lest want to see.

Jerry sent me an email saying:
"The post-1953 Looney Tunes on these new DVD releases are presented in their original 1:85 "wide-screen" format - the way they were originally shown in theatres - and the cartoons were designed for viewing this way.

That said, yes, some picture is cut at the top and bottom of the screen - but the filmmakers knew this and nothing significant is missing for you to enjoy the cartoon."

After watching the Bugs disc, I can say it was noticeable on certain cartoons. However, if this was a ploy for widescreen tv owners, why didn't they just matte all the cartoons?

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:34 pm

jsz1002 wrote:Jerry sent me an email saying:
"The post-1953 Looney Tunes on these new DVD releases are presented in their original 1:85 "wide-screen" format - the way they were originally shown in theatres - and the cartoons were designed for viewing this way.

That said, yes, some picture is cut at the top and bottom of the screen - but the filmmakers knew this and nothing significant is missing for you to enjoy the cartoon."

After watching the Bugs disc, I can say it was noticeable on certain cartoons. However, if this was a ploy for widescreen tv owners, why didn't they just matte all the cartoons?

This is plain and simply a **** up by Warners, And I want point out Jerry sent me an email before his Stu Show (august 10) saying this same, before he got the DVDs and before the Stu Show, so I wonder when you got this email from him. IF it was before then I think it is hard to take that particular email seriously as his reaction on Stu Show tells a different story.

Read the following blog bost and tell me if these DVD are inferor product.

Thad wrote:I've posted screenshots and all I'm going to say on the matter for now. You either get it or you don't.

http://www.thadkomorowski.com/?p=4263

If you dont get what Thad is saying, I cant help it but think you are one of those "Be happy what you got" people. When I purse DVDs from Warners I expect HQ products and those particular DVD are not what I expected, and I will not waste my monney on them.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 pm

So I supposed you also wanted the DVD to be dipped in gold, too. It sure sounds like it.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 pm

nickramer wrote:So I supposed you also wanted the DVD to be dipped in gold, too. It sure sounds like it.

No, after my experience with WDT I sure don't need the tins, as long as the shorts are given HQ presentation that Thad exploded that were not the case with the post 1953 shorts. So Warner wouldn't have got my money if they had but his in tins. Then the main content presentation were sub-bar.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 pm

I was reffering to the discs, not tins. I was also speaking somewhat metaphorically.

jsz1002

Postby jsz1002 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:52 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:This is plain and simply a **** up by Warners, And I want point out Jerry sent me an email before his Stu Show (august 10) saying this same, before he got the DVDs and before the Stu Show, so I wonder when you got this email from him. IF it was before then I think it is hard to take that particular email seriously as his reaction on Stu Show tells a different story.

Read the following blog bost and tell me if these DVD are inferor product.

If you dont get what Thad is saying, I cant help it but think you are one of those "Be happy what you got" people. When I purse DVDs from Warners I expect HQ products and those particular DVD are not what I expected, and I will not waste my monney on them.

I received the email the night before release. Also, I have a hard time believing he didn't see the dvds before they were released. I do understand the comparisons, however, why weren't all the cartoons cropped? It makes no sense to crop some of them for no reason (unless they were released that way theatrically). I'm not trying to stick up for WB (who seem to screw up every animated release) but if these were seen this way theatrically, it's a no-win situation for them as people would have complained if they were released full frame.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:33 am

jsz1002 wrote:I have a hard time believing he didn't see the dvds before they were released.

Now Jerry Beck's being called a liar. This has been a fun week.
people would have complained if they were released full frame.

How do you know that?
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

aalong64

Postby aalong64 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:42 am

I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread for this, or if it's already been said, but the DVDs seem to be selling really well. In the newspaper this morning, I was absent-mindedly looking at the 'new DVD and CD releases' page, and saw that the Bugs Bunny disc is #3 was in the top ten sales last week, and the Daffy Duck one was #8. I'm not sure if this list was just for Toronto, or Ontario, or Canada, but either way I think it's pretty significant. I wasn't expecting them to sell that well. Hopefully it'll help them get more shorts out.
So you like cartoons, eh? How about watching some of mine at http://www.youtube.com/aalong64 ?

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”