Looney Tunes Super Stars DVD's Are Widescreen

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
User avatar
jsz1002
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Postby jsz1002 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 am

Brandon Panther wrote:Now Jerry Beck's being called a liar. This has been a fun week.

How do you know that?

I'm not calling him a liar at all. I believe the email he wrote me! The fact of the matter is...there is no reason to make some shorts widescreen and others not. There has to be justification for it.

User avatar
grundle
Junior Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:13 am

Postby grundle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41 am

Jerry's job is to tell us what his boss wants him to say, not what he necessarily believes himself.

It's possible that Jerry hates the matting just as much as anyone else, but can't say so, for fear of losing his job.

User avatar
quack-up
Junior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Postby quack-up » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 am

I :rolleyes: when I saw the advertised "You've never seen these cartoons before!" on the discs.

User avatar
J. B. Warner
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:57 am
Location: Anywhere you're not

Postby J. B. Warner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:53 am

quack-up wrote:I :rolleyes: when I saw the advertised "You've never seen these cartoons before!" on the discs.


If you're a kid growing up in the post-2004 era where the Looney Tunes are nowhere to be found on television, then I guess that'd be accurate. As for the rest of us, who hasn't seen "Hare Trimmed" or "The Prize Pest" a million times before?
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:


User avatar
Speedy Boris
Junior Member
Posts: 1471
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:00 am

Postby Speedy Boris » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14 am

...Or it simply implies "You've never seen these cartoons [on DVD] before". Which, unless you count a couple of the cartoons cut up in the various compilation films/TV specials (such as "The Prize Pest", "Hare Trimmed", and "Daffy Dilly"), is accurate.

User avatar
Woody Woodpecker
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Akureyri, Iceland

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 am

grundle wrote:Jerry's job is to tell us what his boss wants him to say, not what he necessarily believes himself.

It's possible that Jerry hates the matting just as much as anyone else, but can't say so, for fear of losing his job.


Jerry have said it before on Stu Show that he is not a full time employee of Warners since he is not present from start and finish of making this or any DVDs. Since they don't always to what he suggest. So I think he is only part time, Evidence the none restoration thing back in april and now this widescreen thing. But since he is part time he might be somewhat tied when it comes to private emails and I dont blame him. I wonder if Jerry has come down at Warners after he shaw the DVDs.

But I give Stuart Shostak credit for squeezing it out of Jerry how truthfully feels about this widescreen goof up that wasn't anyjustify for. But there is old saying if you tell someone something in email it might be completly diffrent story what you say to that person face too face.


jsz1002 wrote:I received the email the night before release. Also, I have a hard time believing he didn't see the dvds before they were released. I do understand the comparisons, however, why weren't all the cartoons cropped? It makes no sense to crop some of them for no reason (unless they were released that way theatrically). I'm not trying to stick up for WB (who seem to screw up every animated release) but if these were seen this way theatrically, it's a no-win situation for them as people would have complained if they were released full frame.



Read Thad is blog post, it say it all really. What he point out is the all of LT/MM were filmed in Academy Ratio pre and post 1953. Not all theaters were equipment to show widescreen in mid and late 1950s and probably well into 1960s (This is what "be glad what you got crowd" seems to ignore at all cost). So the matting presentation cannot be justified. Too further underline that many pre 1953 shorts were also reissued to theaters well into 1950 and 1960s.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

User avatar
raginggoodfella
Junior Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:55 am

Postby raginggoodfella » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:35 pm

It's simple soultion to these crap WHV cartoon dvd releases: Don't BUY ANYTHING released from WHV. And please no pleas from posters writing how we need to support WB so they can release the stuff we really want. That will never happen. And I start it off by not buying the upcoming Foghorn and Tweety sets.

User avatar
nickramer
Junior Member
Posts: 3912
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: columbus

Postby nickramer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

raginggoodfella wrote:It's simple soultion to these crap WHV cartoon dvd releases: Don't BUY ANYTHING released from WHV. And please no pleas from posters writing how we need to support WB so they can release the stuff we really want. That will never happen. And I start it off by not buying the upcoming Foghorn and Tweety sets.

Well, than what if Warners Archive does not put up a disc of the cartoons on the Foghorn set then? How do you expect us to get those cartoons?

User avatar
Jack Theakston
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:00 am

Postby Jack Theakston » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Not all theaters were equipment to show widescreen in mid and late 1950s and probably well into 1960s (This is what "be glad what you got crowd" seems to ignore at all cost). So the matting presentation cannot be justified. Too further underline that many pre 1953 shorts were also reissued to theaters well into 1950 and 1960s.


While I'm somewhat in agreement that not all of the post-widescreen era WB cartoons are blocked for 1.85-1 (although the titles most certainly are), I must point out that the facts do not jive with the above. In a survey that was taken in December, 1953 by BoxOffice magazine, it was shown that 58% of theaters in the U.S. were running widescreen in some form or another. By September, 1956, this number was estimated to be in the 90-95% range. Many, many industrial photos show interiors of theaters in even the smallest towns made a conversion during that era.

For what it's worth, I've run many original 35mm prints of the WB and other series to study this. While WB's practice is questionable, nearly every other studio was blocking their animation for either 1.66 (early Paramount WS cartoons), 1.75 (early MGM WS cartoons), or 1.85-1 (everything after about 1954).

User avatar
raginggoodfella
Junior Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:55 am

Postby raginggoodfella » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Internet? Cable Video On Demand Service? The odd showing of cartoon classic on TCM channel? Just don't give any more money to WB for lousy products. Does anybody know whether or not the Foghorn disc is screwed up like the Daffy + Bugs discs?


Return to “GAC News and Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests