Looney Tunes Super Stars DVD's Are Widescreen

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Bugsy-Kun wrote:The two 1960's Asterix movies was also victim of this trend besides the Asterix and Cleopatra was heavily edited in the last release (The early-2000's print was faded and victim of DVNR). That's give me tastes to find the old good print Buena Vista printed of this features in the 1980's for VHS and then transacted for a small company in mid-1990's. It's i think the best print i ever find to those movies. And now, they ruin the crown jewels of animation by this? Not only i have almost all of this cartoons in collection properly but this is a real outrage for those who really grow with this characters both in theaters or TV. End of the line!

I know how you feel about those early Asterix features. I have one of them on LaserDisc from Buena Vista, and it's probably the best way to watch those films if you're OK with an English dub of them.
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"
(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Having seen Thad's screenshots, I'm afraid my worse fears are confirmed - they're exactly like the BBC's "widescreen" versions several years ago. I would've thought WB would crop them on a "scene-by-scene" basis, getting the best picture information possible within the 16:9 aspect ratio. If they did it that way, then we would possibly see more of Elmer Fudd's head. :befuddled

Would I still buy these DVDs in the future? Hmmm...I dunno, but they're certainly not essentials, that's for sure.
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Regarding the ratings on these DVD's, I really hope that the review of how the Daffy DVD was "so racist" from that one guy didn't stop Daffy from selling more.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:24 pm

quack-up wrote:Regarding the ratings on these DVD's, I really hope that the review of how the Daffy DVD was "so racist" from that one guy didn't stop Daffy from selling more.

"Bad publicity is better than no publicity".

If there's anything reportedly controversial, people will buy it or go see it.

"The DaVinci Code" thrived on that.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

captchucky

Postby captchucky » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Ragged_Clown wrote:This is my understanding, as well. Widescreen became the dominant format very quickly (or, that is, Academy fell out of fashion quickly after the varying widescreen ratios were introduced), and it was rare for major studio films from the mid-50s onward to be composed for Academy. I don't know whether this holds true for cartoons of the period. Thad's screen grabs certainly do not suggest 1.85:1 was the intended ratio, but perhaps those frames were cherrypicked because the compositional problems were more pronounced and visible than elsewhere on the shorts?

Those frames are cherry-picked. Those were the same spots that I noticed, because I was looking for a problem. Sometimes the film makers made errors and moved the characters into the cropped areas, but this doesn't happen often in these films. I would prefer the whole frame, but these are theatrical releases cropped to the theatrical screen ratio. There is no legitimate reason to call these releases incorrectly cropped (except for Lumberjack Rabbit - The credits suggest that this one was cropped in error. But still, 90% of theaters would have shown it this way)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:30 pm

They were cherry-picked because they show that these are clearly formatted incorrectly. Chopped off feet, ears, etc. isn't going to convince people, but ruined scenes do. Freleng and Pratt put the "Le Grande Ball Room" sign there to set up the gags of Napoleon slipping on the dance floor and Bugs in drag. If they intentionally laid it out so the sign is cut off, that's a bizarre directorial choice. And you could pick almost any scene from Design for Leaving or Stork Naked and it will look uncomfortably cropped.

captchucky

Postby captchucky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Thad wrote:They were cherry-picked because they show that these are clearly formatted incorrectly. Chopped off feet, ears, etc. isn't going to convince people, but ruined scenes do. Freleng and Pratt put the "Le Grande Ball Room" sign there to set up the gags of Napoleon slipping on the dance floor and Bugs in drag. If they intentionally laid it out so the sign is cut off, that's a bizarre directorial choice. And you could pick almost any scene from Design for Leaving or Stork Naked and it will look uncomfortably cropped.

I suspect that some of this is original layout error, but in any case, you're right, this cropping does ruin certain scenes. I would prefer not having them matted, then deciding how I want to watch them on my own TV.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:07 pm

At a Archambault store in Quebec City yesterday, i found three copies of the Daffy Duck disc but just reading the description, i can understand the point. For a one-disc with 15 cartoons, (which are mostly the well know shorts i seen years ago.) they want to paid you Can. $25 with taxes. If you want to buy this, have judgement before if it's worth the price. Because you will regret it later. Luckily, i don't buy it because i don't care anymore. They have just 5 shorts i don't in my collection and they are the firsts of this disc.

Yeah, but I don't really think that menus mattered much. I mean, for six years straight, we got 60 (sometimes more) cartoons per year, plus a hell of a lot of bonus features. Nice artwork would be a plus, but it's the cartoons I really care about.
The Golden Collection are real treasures compared to the Super Stars discs label. I can spend hours to watching the Golden series without be tired.

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Well, in my opinion WHV should have released two versions of those discs; One with the cartoons in a 1.33:1 ratio and the other with the cartoons in 1.66:1 or so, Much like Sony Home Video, which released old B&W series in two sets (One disc in B&W and the other with colorized versions)

Speaking of colorization and about the criticism about the family division, what if WB releases a B&W cartoon-only DVD with all the shorts being shown in their colorized versions (or worse, the cartoons featured with these 1960s redrawn versions)

P.S. That was a bad joke I typed, so don't think that it would ever hapen

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 am

Why get upset about something that has not happened yet and, frankly, is highly unlikely to happen?
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”