Foghorn and Tweety Super Stars DVDs coming 11/30...official announcement!

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Mark J

Postby Mark J » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:17 pm

That Tweety/Sylvester disc is a good assortment for the 'casual' collector, unlike the Bugs, Daffy & Foghorn which are more collections of sad late era leftovers. The only one I would consider is the Daffy for the 5 early shorts, and I won't pay more than $5. This Foghorn set is an abomination - most of those shorts are unwatchable regardless of cropping. I used to change the channel when those weasel shorts would come on tv or anything with Seely music. This could be subtitled 'the worst of Robert McKimson', just add some Sylvester/Hoppy shorts. I'll wait for a set with the Leghorn Blows at Midnight etc.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 pm

^ Aren't you throwing around the word "unwatchable" a tad too liberally? I wouldn't consider any of the Foghorn cartoons on this set to be top drawer (and I too wish they had included some of the earlier ones with the more rubbery animation), but they're not unwatchable by any means. "Banty Raids" is an enjoyable cartoon. So is "Little Boy Boo". And despite the canned music, I do like "Weasel While You Work" as well.

That said, I do wish they had filled out the set with more Foghorns instead of the "miscellaneous" feel of the remaining six cartoons, because who knows when they'll come out with a second Foghorn DVD, if ever. Did they not think Foghorn by himself would be able to carry an entire DVD or something?

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Even if they are cropped, I will be buying the Foggy disc. Certainly not T/S with the double dips.

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:51 am

Mark J wrote:That Tweety/Sylvester disc is a good assortment for the 'casual' collector, unlike the Bugs, Daffy & Foghorn which are more collections of sad late era leftovers. The only one I would consider is the Daffy for the 5 early shorts, and I won't pay more than $5. This Foghorn set is an abomination - most of those shorts are unwatchable regardless of cropping. I used to change the channel when those weasel shorts would come on tv or anything with Seely music. This could be subtitled 'the worst of Robert McKimson', just add some Sylvester/Hoppy shorts. I'll wait for a set with the Leghorn Blows at Midnight etc.

From the Foghorn set, I only like "Weasel Stop" (that one is really good, except for the lame ending), "Little Boy Boo" (although not as much as I used to in my childhood) and "Fox Terror", but even these couldn't hold the candle to the classics like "Henhouse Henery" or "Fractured Leghorn". I'm not sure if those gems will ever see the light of the day properly restored for DVD.

The 6 other cartoons on the set are mostly pathetic "poverty row" examples of the late McKimson era. Freleng's "Two Crows from Tacos" is decent though.
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 am

grundle wrote:Because many casual fans have not purchased the Golden Collections, but might buy this release.
But causal fans are not checking the titles at all - so they would buy the disc no matter what the individual titles are. By making this disc, 100% double-dip they are eliminating sales of collectors who DO pay attention.

Jerry initially said these sets would include titles new to DVD. That must be some kind of selling point as the Bugs & Daffy sets had stickers on the shrink-wrap touting the "new to DVD" aspect. The Foghorn set only includes 1 previously released title.

Why would 3 sets be virtually all new to DVD and then you have a set without ANY new titles?

And as others have duly noted, these sets are not showing up in retail outlets where "casual fans" would even be aware of their existence.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

zenchan

Postby zenchan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:19 am

Am I ever going to see Greedy For Tweety on an official DVD release? :(

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:08 am

FleischerFan wrote:But causal fans are not checking the titles at all - so they would buy the disc no matter what the individual titles are. By making this disc, 100% double-dip they are eliminating sales of collectors who DO pay attention.

I don't think you're giving casual fans enough credit in their obliviousness.

Remember when the Volumes 3, and onward were released, and there were outcries from people on Amazon complaining about all the "obscure" titles being released instead of the popular titles? Obviously they had been doing some kind of homework.

I didn't say they were intelligent, I just said they weren't oblivious.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:27 am

This would be a fine T/S disc:

1. Home Tweet Home
2. Dog Pounded
3. Tree Cornered Tweety
4. The Jet Cage
5. Tweet and Lovely
6. Tugboat Granny
7. Tweety's Circus
8. The Rebel Without Claws
9. Hawaiian Aye Aye
10. Fowl Weather
11. Greedy for Tweety
12. Catty Cornered
13. A Pizza Tweety Pie
14. Muzzle Tough
15. A Street Cat Named Sylvester

I was kind of expecting that. (I can dream, can't I?)

I used titles form previously released VHS' in the "Looney Tunes Presents" VHS series, as well as two other titles added as "fillers."

Trying to make a compromise. ;)

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:10 pm

zenchan wrote:Am I ever going to see Greedy For Tweety on an official DVD release? :(

It was a easy cartoon to found by tape or video years ago along with "Catty Cornered", but why not now stays a mystery to me. Ditto was for "Hyde and Go Tweet" which is also absent to this new T/S release. :(

I feel like to revise my opinion for the Foghorn disc which i hoping to have a complete copy of "Sock-A-Doodle-Do" (I seen fully one time at my life), "The High and the Flighty" (A good assortment trio of Duck/Dog/Rooster), "Of Rice and Hen", "Hen House Henery" and "The Leghorn Blows at Midnight" which are all absent to this disc. Kinda disappointing because he was mostly ignored to the Golden Collection series.

tristar

Postby tristar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Not buying the Tweety set, and if the Foghorn set is cropped, I won't buy it.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”