Bosko & The Warner Archive in 2011?

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 pm

thebiach wrote:One Step Ahead of My Shadow

Available on the Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 3 DVD set
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

thebiach

thanks

Postby thebiach » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:55 pm

I also realized Moonlight for Two is available on the same set...updated above...

Steve Siegert wrote:Available on the Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 3 DVD set

gilligan fanati

Postby gilligan fanati » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 am

Sounds good, should be interesting
[font=Palatino Linotype]Have List ~ DVD Collection ~ Game Collection[/font]

thebiach

New York Comic Con 10/8-10/10

Postby thebiach » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:35 am

Looks like the Warner Archive Collection is going to have a booth at the NY Comic Con this weekend. Comic cons are usually a good place for special announcements (San Diego had a booth for the Popeye DVD releases)...their announcement on their facebook page says "Visit our booth for Show specials, new release information, contests, exclusive footage, and our attempts to answer as many of your questions as we can."

Another post from their site promises "follow us all weekend on on Facebook and Twitter for updates from Comic Con on Archive special announcements and upcoming releases."

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:38 am

I'm at NYCC/NYAF this year, and spent about 20 minutes talking with the creative director of Warner Archive at the booth.

He said "Trust me, we are very aware of people wanting the Censored 11 on DVD." He also mentioned a show out west where they showed 2 controversial cartoons.

More interesting to me is when I mentioned the family DVDs and the widescreen issue. Being movie buffs but not necessarily cartoon buffs, they were surprised at anyone NOT wanting widescreen - they were considering the widescreen the 'original theatrical release', just like the old classic movies. I mentioned the controversy, though, and they said they'd definitely keep it in mind.

I heard them discussing Bugs Bunny Superstar as a release soon - I know this is on the Golden Collections, but hey, who knows this besides classic cartoon fans?

I told him that we don't need bells and whistles, just cartoons, uncut, looking as good as possible. That's pretty much what they try to do, so... he noted the fact that the DVDs are not available in stores makes it easier to release controversial movies like Wonder Bar - no mother is likely to accidentally buy that online to show her kid.

They also discussed the segmented aspect of WB's divisions - he mentioned several budgeting and programming decisions coming from 'Corporate'. This doesn't surprise me with a company as big as WB. We mentioned their huge library, and both noted Fox's utter lack of interest in their own film library - now that Columbia's trying to do something, Fox is the lone holdout in not caring.

They had a big Thundarr poster behind them as well, and were quite happy to chatter with me. It probably helped that I got to see them before the show floor opened, though. :)

SNES Chalmers

Postby SNES Chalmers » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:09 am

Toon Zone news is reporting that the Warner Archive will be coming out with the Censored Eleven some time next year.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/35331/nycc2010-warner-archive-to-release-the-censored-eleven

LooneyLover81

Postby LooneyLover81 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:51 pm

SNES Chalmers wrote:Toon Zone news is reporting that the Warner Archive will be coming out with the Censored Eleven some time next year.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/35331/nycc2010-warner-archive-to-release-the-censored-eleven

Good news (so far)! I cannot wait if they do confirm...

~Ben

Beany Boy

"the bosko and buddy show"

Postby Beany Boy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Well, the more I hear about the possibility of THE COMPLETE BOSKO coming to DVD, I get more and more excited, even if just being teased at this point. When Jerry Beck was last on "STU'S SHOW", he still never mentioned anything, but he is being sworn to secrecy on so many projects and, besides, he doesn't want to appear as a rumor-spreader just in case WB decides to pull the plug on such a project. The chronological BOSKO would be perfect since "SINKING IN THE BATHTUB" really wasn't restored on the GOLDEN COLLECTION sets. It was a special feature on, I think, LTGC3, the second disk. So I say that this would be a case where I could stand the double dipping, as we've come to call it. Another alternative would be to issue the entire HAOPPY HARMONIES series, up to and including all the Harman/Ising cartoons that were created once the duo returned to MGM to do cartoons in house. Such a set would be beneficial to animation students as these are beautiful-looking films, even if they are sugary little storybook tales. The LOONEY TUNES Bosko, however, is a character with a lot more fun in him. One can only wish that the more detailed MGM Bosko character went through the kinds of adventures as did the LOONEY TUNES Bosko, like drag racing or being a forester...just think of the visual spectacles that could have been created at MGM with plot elements like these. In "BOSKO'S PARLOR PRANKS", Bosko is just telling tales of these adventures to Wilbur; so did he leave that fantasy world behind him? He would ahve been a successful character at MGM if the adventure aspect were left intact, maybe even more a favorite than Disney's MICKEY MOUSE. If the set comes out, we will all see how delightful the early 1930's Bosko really was, and that the entries on LTGC6 were, as Bosko himself once said "only the beginning!!"
MF TOON wrote:If this actually comes to pass I'd be thrilled!

I ended up selling my Bosko Video 2-disc Bosko sets on eBay a couple of years ago and would love a comprehensive collection put together with some thought! Imagine owning complete sets of Bosko and remastered Private Snafus in the new year?? Wow!! Now let's see if this actually happens or not.

Galeans

Postby Galeans » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:41 pm

SNES Chalmers wrote:Toon Zone news is reporting that the Warner Archive will be coming out with the Censored Eleven some time next year.

Sounds like a dream coming true... "The Isle of Pingo Pongo" is a true gem :cool:
[I]Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best

[/I](Frank Zappa)

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3785503#post3785503

Go to post #35. I think you'll like what you read. ;)

Special thanks to this goes to Toonzone forum member Leviathan.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”