Bosko & The Warner Archive in 2011?

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 pm

If this actually comes to pass I'd be thrilled!

I ended up selling my Bosko Video 2-disc Bosko sets on eBay a couple of years ago and would love a comprehensive collection put together with some thought! Imagine owning complete sets of Bosko and remastered Private Snafus in the new year?? Wow!! Now let's see if this actually happens or not.

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Could the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bear, Captain and the Kid, etc be next??

I hope so!!!

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:37 pm

MF TOON wrote:Could the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bear, Captain and the Kid, etc be next??

I hope so!!!

I'm pretty sure they are.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 pm

MF TOON wrote:Could the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bear, Captain and the Kid, etc be next??

I hope so!!!

Those cartoons are "great" I have been of late been watching several of Youtubes and other similar sites, so I cant help it but I feel that all none-Tom and Jerry, Tex Avery shorts are no worse to watch.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Jack G.

Postby Jack G. » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 am

Well... It's a start. I'm interested in having more Boskos.

But the question is what's the approach?

Restored, uncensored prints? A quality disc pressing that doesn't crap out after a few plays?

I think starting with Bosko is probably a good thing, cause I imagine it's going to take a few releases to get it right.

It remains to be seen how it will pan out, but I'm optimistic.

One thing is certain- Warner's Family Division is completely hopeless when it comes to getting it right.

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:04 am

The main concern is whether the original masters or the best available quality prints are used for the restoration, and whether there will be official announcements in the near future.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:56 pm

The Warners Archives program to date has NOT been a restoration program. They have simply produced DVDs "on demand" (on a per order basis) from the best available prints.

Jerry Beck had indicated that Warners was pushing ahead with their restoration of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies library even in the absense of new video releases.

If that is the case then I would presume that some of the cartoons available via the Archives program would be restored, but I would not expect all of them to be restored.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:04 pm

FleischerFan wrote:The Warners Archives program to date has NOT been a restoration program. They have simply produced DVDs "on demand" (on a per order basis) from the best available prints.

They've been issuing films specifically restored for the Warner Archive program for a couple months now, and that process is continuing and expanding, going by the messages about upcoming releases they've been posting on their Facebook page.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 am

Is that the Facebook page for Warner Brothers Entertainment? Because I couldn't find a page for Warner Brothers Archives.

I visited the WB Entertainment page and found no posts about the Archive program for the past two months.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Shemp

Postby Shemp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am

FleischerFan wrote:I couldn't find a page for Warner Brothers Archives.

The Warner Archive has its own Facebook page.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”