Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 Release date, cover art, and problem

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
ThePeterNetwork

Postby ThePeterNetwork » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:25 pm

I am still convinced that this Blu-ray disc is nothing more but a fad, along with the fancy-schmancy HDTVs that can't even carry a digital signal any better than a conventional TV with a digital converter box. I still have my analog TV with separate DVD and VHS machines. Would like a DVD/VHS combo though. All but the DVD player works, and I just don't see myself upgrading anytime soon because of it. I said this before in another thread, but by the time my TV officially conks out, they will have holographic TV like in Star Wars, or better yet, people will probably have evolved past the need for televised entertainment, and television networks themselves will become obsolete.

Then again, I seem to be wandering off topic. Main point: Blu-rays won't be crossing paths with my consumer dollar anytime soon.
:bugs1: Support your favorite Golden Age Cartoons by purchasing their respective DVDs. If they don't have DVDs, let the studio who currently holds the rights to them know you want to see them on DVD. They may not listen, but you can tell them anyway.:daffy:

jsz1002

Postby jsz1002 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:46 am

ThePeterNetwork wrote:I am still convinced that this Blu-ray disc is nothing more but a fad, along with the fancy-schmancy HDTVs that can't even carry a digital signal any better than a conventional TV with a digital converter box. I still have my analog TV with separate DVD and VHS machines. Would like a DVD/VHS combo though. All but the DVD player works, and I just don't see myself upgrading anytime soon because of it. I said this before in another thread, but by the time my TV officially conks out, they will have holographic TV like in Star Wars, or better yet, people will probably have evolved past the need for televised entertainment, and television networks themselves will become obsolete.

Then again, I seem to be wandering off topic. Main point: Blu-rays won't be crossing paths with my consumer dollar anytime soon.

I'm sure people thought dvd was just a fad too. HDTVs may not carry a digital signal any better...but man that signal sure looks a LOT better!!

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:47 am

Agree with jsz on HDTVs. There is a very noticeable difference - especially if you get a signal that is being broadcast in HD.

While I have a Blu-Ray player, I am not convinced that it really is going to catch on. The amount of retail space being taken up by Blu-Ray discs does not seem to be growing. The recent WC Cartoon discs (Bugs & Daffy) were not offered in Blu-Ray.

I think the problem with Blu-Ray was that it followed too closely after the basic DVD, so people resisted upgrading. Since then, downloading movies and watching them on their computer or even TVs with Internet access is driving both Blu-Ray & DVD out of business.

I think Disney is smart to be offering all three formats (DVD-Blu-Ray-Download) in one package.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

jsz1002

Postby jsz1002 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Agree with jsz on HDTVs. There is a very noticeable difference - especially if you get a signal that is being broadcast in HD.

While I have a Blu-Ray player, I am not convinced that it really is going to catch on. The amount of retail space being taken up by Blu-Ray discs does not seem to be growing. The recent WC Cartoon discs (Bugs & Daffy) were not offered in Blu-Ray.

I think the problem with Blu-Ray was that it followed too closely after the basic DVD, so people resisted upgrading. Since then, downloading movies and watching them on their computer or even TVs with Internet access is driving both Blu-Ray & DVD out of business.

I think Disney is smart to be offering all three formats (DVD-Blu-Ray-Download) in one package.

I think the format would have a better time succeeding if prices on movies were lowered. Decent prices can be found online, but in general, most discs are very high priced in stores.

ThePeterNetwork

Postby ThePeterNetwork » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:48 pm

FleischerFan wrote:I think the problem with Blu-Ray was that it followed too closely after the basic DVD, so people resisted upgrading. Since then, downloading movies and watching them on their computer or even TVs with Internet access is driving both Blu-Ray & DVD out of business.

One of my friends went as far as suggesting the very thing you described. Soon there may not be hard media to purchase, and everything will be either streamed for free or in downloadable purchases. However, I wonder what might happen if your hard drive with the digital download on it crashes and you lost your purchases? Do you have to buy the download again? That doesn't seem like a very cost-effective move on the part of the industry.
:bugs1: Support your favorite Golden Age Cartoons by purchasing their respective DVDs. If they don't have DVDs, let the studio who currently holds the rights to them know you want to see them on DVD. They may not listen, but you can tell them anyway.:daffy:

Andrew Farago

Postby Andrew Farago » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 pm

I've got one Blu-Ray in my collection so far, for Pixar's UP, since it was my favorite movie of 2009 and there are so many more features included on the Blu-Ray edition than on the standard DVD. As more sets like this come out, with a big discrepancy between the "Super-Deluxe" Blu-Ray and the "Nothing to see here" DVD versions, and only a $10 price difference between the two, I'm more and more likely to spring for Blu-Ray for my absolute favorites.

And the price of Blu-Ray players keeps dropping, too, so by the time my DVD player dies, I'm sure I can get a good Blu-Ray player for less than $100.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:02 am

ThePeterNetwork wrote:One of my friends went as far as suggesting the very thing you described. Soon there may not be hard media to purchase, and everything will be either streamed for free or in downloadable purchases. However, I wonder what might happen if your hard drive with the digital download on it crashes and you lost your purchases? Do you have to buy the download again? That doesn't seem like a very cost-effective move on the part of the industry.
First of all, it would be extremely cost effective for the industry if you had to pay to download again.

Secondly, if you are at all computer-experienced, you should know to back up your files. Today, external hard drives are cheap and (probably) only getting cheaper. You can also burn your movie/cartoon files onto discs and save them that way.

Then, if your hard drive crashes, you have back-up files.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 am

So, the only difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray versions is that the Blu-Ray will carry the Destino episode and the Dali documentary?

Wasn't the "Destino" short already released/about to come out on a Disney Treasures DVD?

I have the single-disc, 60th Anniversary "Roadshow" edition and I'll most likely keep that even if I decide to buy this newest incarnation (although I really wish it didn't include "Fantasia 2000", which I hated when it was first released).

Does anyone know if the out-takes from the original 1940 "Fantasia" will be included?

I'm not referring to the missing scenes with "Sunflower" from the "Pastoral Symphony" segment (although that would be great to have as a "from the vaults" bonus feature); but rather, I mean the completed, albeit unused, "Clair de lune" segment that eventually wound up being released as a separate short subject. I'm talking about that and any pencil-test footage, unused storyboards, and the like...
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:24 pm

zavkram wrote:So, the only difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray versions is that the Blu-Ray will carry the Destino episode and the Dali documentary?

Wasn't the "Destino" short already released/about to come out on a Disney Treasures DVD?

I have the single-disc, 60th Anniversary "Roadshow" edition and I'll most likely keep that even if I decide to buy this newest incarnation (although I really wish it didn't include "Fantasia 2000", which I hated when it was first released).

Does anyone know if the out-takes from the original 1940 "Fantasia" will be included?

I'm not referring to the missing scenes with "Sunflower" from the "Pastoral Symphony" segment (although that would be great to have as a "from the vaults" bonus feature); but rather, I mean the completed, albeit unused, "Clair de lune" segment that eventually wound up being released as a separate short subject. I'm talking about that and any pencil-test footage, unused storyboards, and the like...

A DVD for Destino was planned and annouced, but ironically, wasn't released.

Also, the "Clair de lune" segment was reworked as the "Blue Bayou" segment in "Make Mine Music" (1946). The segment was restored as "Clair de lune" years later as part of an educational film about music.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”