Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 Release date, cover art, and problem

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
tristar

Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 Release date, cover art, and problem

Postby tristar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 am

Well, here's the cover art:

And the release date is November 30th, 2010.

But, the Blu-ray will have a hell of a lot more bonus features than the DVD, including Destino, and a feature length documentary on the short, and Disney's relationship with Dali! Both those terrific bonuses won't be on the DVD, which annoys the hell out of me, since I don't have a BluRay player.

I'm planning on getting one someday, and on the Bluray cover it says that it includes a DVD copy, so I might get the BluRay version, and watch the bonuses whenever I get an HDTV or Bluray. The key word being might.

Oh, and the cover art is an indication that it will probably be the edited version.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:05 am

I am sure it will be the edited version. There is really no commercial reason for Disney to use the original uncensored Fantasia. They won't really sell many more copies of this by making it uncensored and they would invite a bit of unwanted negative publicity.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 am

I anticipated being excited about this, considering I'm going to start purchasing DVD/Blu-Ray combo packs soon over regular DVD releases, but this release is disappointing. As an owner of the fantastic Fantasia Anthology set (the edit to the Pastoral Symphony segment doesn't irk me as much it does other), I was very much hoping all the extras from that set would be carried over here. Next to none of them are. I don't feel it's worth re-buying these two movies if it is going to be a more barebones presentation and knowing a better release is out there.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

captchucky

Postby captchucky » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 am

I've purchased Fantasia 3 times in 3 different formats. If I ever buy it again which I doubt will happen, it'll be for the complete Pastoral Symphony.

R.J. Smith

Postby R.J. Smith » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:38 am

tristar wrote:Oh, and the cover art is an indication that it will probably be the edited version.

How does the cover indicate it? Disney might actually change their mind this time.
:mickey::donald::goof: [size=134][font=Comic Sans MS]We gotta' move![/SIZE][/font]
("[font=Comic Sans MS]Moving Day", 1936)[/font]

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

tristar wrote:
Oh, and the cover art is an indication that it will probably be the edited version.

How can you tell? I don't see the running times on the cover.

Mac

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:35 pm

nickramer wrote:How can you tell? I don't see the running times on the cover.

We can't tell for sure, but that (ugly) cover art indicates a very family-friendly release, rather than the kind of collectors-edition that would include historically interesting, but offensive scenes which have not been included on any home video release so far.

tristar

Postby tristar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:06 pm

R.J. Smith wrote:How does the cover indicate it? Disney might actually change their mind this time.

nickramer wrote:How can you tell? I don't see the running times on the cover.

I honestly hope you guys are right, but what Mac said clinches it.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Bummer if edited, but I will just buy pal european disc (region 2) of this, if that disk will be unedited ala Melody Time but who knows.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:07 pm

tristar wrote:
And the release date is November 30th, 2010.

But, the Blu-ray will have a hell of a lot more bonus features than the DVD, including Destino, and a feature length documentary on the short, and Disney's relationship with Dali! Both those terrific bonuses won't be on the DVD, which annoys the hell out of me, since I don't have a BluRay player.

I'm planning on getting one someday, and on the Bluray cover it says that it includes a DVD copy, so I might get the BluRay version, and watch the bonuses whenever I get an HDTV or Bluray. The key word being might.

I'm basically in the same boat as you - no Blu Ray player (yet) ... but in addition to that, I already have Fantasia 2000 on standard DVD. So I'm not too crazy about the fact that they have bundled the 2 movies together in the same package. So if I decide to get the Blu Ray on speculation that I'll probably get a Blu Ray player at some point, I'm still going to be duplcating a DVD that I already have. I really wish they would sell the 2 separately.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”