Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 5 DVD - March 29, 2011

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
User avatar
ohmahaaha
Junior Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: Norristown, PA

Postby ohmahaaha » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 am

FlapperPrower wrote:There aren't any new Dudley Do-Right, Aesop & Son, Fractured Fairy Tales and Peabody's Improbable History segments on the season 5 DVDs. They're all reused in random order.

Ouch - that's a bummer, but thanks for the info.

User avatar
Beany Boy
Junior Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Speedier Mark of Zero

Postby Beany Boy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 am

Yes, I have to admit that I did notice a slight compression for the full shows that feature chapters to "MUCHO LOMA". It would really be nice if the stand-alone SEASON FIVE box would fix this problem and even add another special feature (hint, hint), but, despite that, those of you who haven't already ordered the big COMPLETE SERIES box will enjoy owning this coda to the full and intelligent cliffhanger cartoon series. It's good to have representations of all the stories in this series. Now, let's work on "HOPPITY HOOPER", the complete series, even if all we get are the complete HOPPITY HOOPER stories and none of the other material which, as I dimly recall, all came from the five seasons of ROCKY & HIS FRIENDS or THE BULLWINKLE SHOW.
FlapperPrower wrote:Since the seasons 1-4 discs on the c Jay Wardomplete series set are from their respective season sets, expect the season 5 set to only have one new extra, which is audio outtakes of the last chapter of Goof Gas Attack, which really should've been an extra for season 4. Also, the audio of the episodes containing Mucho Loma sound slightly sped-up.

User avatar
indy mike
Junior Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:25 pm
Location: Midwest

Postby indy mike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Beany Boy wrote:Yes, I have to admit that I did notice a slight compression for the full shows that feature chapters to "MUCHO LOMA". It would really be nice if the stand-alone SEASON FIVE box would fix this problem and even add another special feature (hint, hint), but, despite that, those of you who haven't already ordered the big COMPLETE SERIES box will enjoy owning this coda to the full and intelligent cliffhanger cartoon series. It's good to have representations of all the stories in this series. Now, let's work on "HOPPITY HOOPER", the complete series, even if all we get are the complete HOPPITY HOOPER stories and none of the other material which, as I dimly recall, all came from the five seasons of ROCKY & HIS FRIENDS or THE BULLWINKLE SHOW.


Just picked up the Volume 5 standalone set - the Mucho Loma episodes are still sped up. Who do we complain to to get this fixed? Would it have been that hard to spread things out over the 4 discs so the chipmunky sound could have been avoided?

User avatar
FleischerFan
Junior Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Postby FleischerFan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am

Beany Boy wrote: Now, let's work on "HOPPITY HOOPER", the complete series, even if all we get are the complete HOPPITY HOOPER stories and none of the other material which, as I dimly recall, all came from the five seasons of ROCKY & HIS FRIENDS or THE BULLWINKLE SHOW.
IIRC, HOPPITY HOOPER consisted of recycled "Fractured Fairy Tales," Bullwinkle as "Mr. Know-It-All," Total Television's "Commander McBragg," and of course, an opening and closing adventure featuring Hoppity Hooper.

So, in effect, the only new material produced for the show were the new Hoppity Hooper segments.

Repackaging the show as broadcast might prove somewhat problematic as I'm not sure who owns the non-Ward Total Television material (specifically "McBragg").

As the other stuff is already available through the ROCKY & BULLWINKLE sets, I would just like to see Hoppity's adventures released in a stand-alone set. There are 27 4-part adventures - more than enough for a multi-disc set.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

User avatar
King Delbert
Junior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Bellaire, OH

Postby King Delbert » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:43 pm

FleischerFan wrote:IIRC, HOPPITY HOOPER consisted of recycled "Fractured Fairy Tales," Bullwinkle as "Mr. Know-It-All," Total Television's "Commander McBragg," and of course, an opening and closing adventure featuring Hoppity Hooper.

So, in effect, the only new material produced for the show were the new Hoppity Hooper segments.

Repackaging the show as broadcast might prove somewhat problematic as I'm not sure who owns the non-Ward Total Television material (specifically "McBragg").

As the other stuff is already available through the ROCKY & BULLWINKLE sets, I would just like to see Hoppity's adventures released in a stand-alone set. There are 27 4-part adventures - more than enough for a multi-disc set.


I wouldn't mnd seeing an official release of Hoppity Hooper too. Unfortinantly, releases like this may never happen from Classic Media because (and I hate to say this because I like Hoppity Hooper) Hoppity Hooper is considered dead property. I am forever greatful that Mills Creek Entertainment released a majority of these episodes on their Giant 600 cartoon boxed set despite its fair quality.

User avatar
FleischerFan
Junior Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:01 am

King Delbert wrote: I am forever greatful that Mills Creek Entertainment released a majority of these episodes on their Giant 600 cartoon boxed set despite its fair quality.
Did we get the same Giant 600 Cartoon box set from Mill Creek?

Mine carries only 10 Hoppity Hooper adventures. As they produced 27 of them, 10 would not constitute a majority. Certainly better than nothing...

I agree that Hoppity is a "dead" property. A lot of animation fans don't even know it exists, but there was a complete set of the George of the Jungle/Super Chicken/Tom Slick cartoons released, so I keep hoping for Hoppity (and Crusader Rabbit as well).
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

User avatar
King Delbert
Junior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Bellaire, OH

Postby King Delbert » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Did we get the same Giant 600 Cartoon box set from Mill Creek?

Mine carries only 10 Hoppity Hooper adventures. As they produced 27 of them, 10 would not constitute a majority. Certainly better than nothing...

I agree that Hoppity is a "dead" property. A lot of animation fans don't even know it exists, but there was a complete set of the George of the Jungle/Super Chicken/Tom Slick cartoons released, so I keep hoping for Hoppity (and Crusader Rabbit as well).


Personally, I thought it was a majority (but nobody else would care what I think) but then compare 10 out of 27 Hoppity Hooper adventures to 4 out of 80 Mighty Mouse cartoons that I own (but that is a different story).

As for George of the Jungle, he's technically not dead; there was a Disney movie in the 90s and a recent animated series in about 2007ish, so it was a no brainer to release the entire series.

For the record, Crusader Rabbit is not owned by Classic Media, but instead 20th Century Fox. Why? I don't know. Unfortinatlly, that's dead property too. Good luck with that ever being released (unless it goes into the public domain sometime soon).

User avatar
David Gerstein
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:21 pm
Contact:

Postby David Gerstein » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:26 pm

If the Warner Archive can have success—and they do—with small-scale releases of equally forgotten (not to mention dismally bad!) 1970s Hanna-Barbera, it's time you stopped trying to convince people that the properties you want to see wouldn't sell.

Because you can't be sure.

Or do you want to poison your own well, just to vindicate your pessimism? There's a hell of a lot of that around here these days.

"I think Property Owner X should stop broadcasting Classic Property Y when Revival Z debuts, because despite my own preference for the classics, I'm not personally convinced modern kids like them. ...Evidence? What's that?"

"I'm aware that Property Owner A's classic cartoons bring them tons of merchandising revenue thanks to their availability on YouTube, but screw that—their availability there is still illegal. Come on, A, you sissy—sue YouTube like you should and make sure your classics stay buried."

Jhesus.

Chin up—I'm sure there actually is a market for Hoppity Hooper. It won't set the world on fire, sure; but the Funky Phantom is (wince!) selling now. Space Kidettes is selling now. So never say die.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

User avatar
FleischerFan
Junior Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Postby FleischerFan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am

I know there's a market for Hoppity Hooper, because with a little searching on the gray market, I found someone selling a complete set of Hoppity's adventures.

They were recorded off broadcasts on WGN (you can tell because the station's bumps occasionally pop up between cartoons).

So, if someone went to the trouble to compile this set (which includes artwork for the labels & DVD case) and is actively selling it, there is a market!

I'm just hoping that we can get a set made from better quality materials.

Ditto for Crusader Rabbit.

David - LOVED the "YouTube" rant!
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

User avatar
David Gerstein
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:21 pm
Contact:

Postby David Gerstein » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Thank you, thank you—I'm here all week. (-:

(But seriously, folks, some people...)
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone


Return to “GAC News and Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests