LT Super Stars: Road Runner - October 4, 2011

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Daffysleftfoot wrote:What are these exactly:

1. NEW 2010 ROADRUNNER #1 (Judge Granny Case)
2. NEW 2010 ROADRUNNER #2 (Wild King Dumb)
3. NEW 2010 ROADRUNNER #3 (Wile E. Coyote Ugly)

Those aren't web toons from the KidsWB site are they? :eek:

Yes, they are, and I have seen some of those Webtoons and the animation is worse than Larriva and that says a lot.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Damn, that IS reaching if they're going for webtoons now.

And I'm pretty sure they're from maybe 2002, instead of 2010.

I too would have preferred the newer CGI Road Runner shorts instead of the webtoons, but hey they're on DVD too. Well, "Rabid Rider" hasn't been put out yet, and I don't suppose it will until --GAGS-- "Yogi Bear" comes out.

Also, I'm not sure this is the DVD debut of Chariots of Fur. I'm certain it came out on one of the compilation movie DVDs.

Of the two McKimson-directed RR shorts, they HAD to pick the one that sucks.

Freeze Frame and Soup or Sonic are technically double-dipped, since the specials they were a part of have been put on DVD. This is like the third time Soup or Sonic has seen a DVD release. Sheesh.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Also, I'm not sure this is the DVD debut of Chariots of Fur. I'm certain it came out on one of the compilation movie DVDs.
No, it didn't. I should know; I own all of them.
Of the two McKimson-directed RR shorts, they HAD to pick the one that sucks.
I like both, but this and "Chariots of Fur" aren't enough to make me buy this.

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Horrible list ever. :shame:

At least, when you watch the Road Runner cartoons program, you will sure to see the Larriva and Jones RR cartoons together (1949 to 1966 shorts.). "Chariots of Fur" is the only one who stays orphan at my collection but this is a disc i won't buy it. I hoping to see some Wolf/Sheepdog cartoons who was missing in the GC, the Bugs/Coyote cartoons or the later Jones' shorts who miserably deserve a good remastering (Mostly "Lickety-Splat" since the actual copy is faded and "Zoom at the Top" which looks grainy, but i still have a other pre-1990's decent copy i own but incomplete.) but nothing is a value sure for me.

No thanks! I'm enough full with my own VHS/DVD/DVR Road Runner copies.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm hoping they mixed the past new to DVD cartoons (all on the Bugs, Daffy, and Foghorn DVDs), and the theatrical Road Runner cartoons (yes, even the Larrita ones and maybe "Wizard of Ow" even though that one was not in theaters) on those "Warner Archive" DVDs with the other inreleased cartoons. I'm really starting to think if the Family Division even likes Looney Tunes.

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:
Also, I'm not sure this is the DVD debut of Chariots of Fur. I'm certain it came out on one of the compilation movie DVDs.

Actually, you're probably thinking of Little Go Beep (on Daffy Duck's Quackbusters). CoF has not been released on DVD yet.

And, I'll have to agree-- a'la Comic Book Guy, Worst. DVD. Ever.
I really do hope the Looney Tunes have a brighter future. I had a little bit of faith in the Super Stars DVDs.

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Just to add more facepalms, every Road Runner that Jones cartoon from Hip! Hip Hurry! on except one has not been released on DVD in a Looney Tunes collection. There are plenty of Jones' cartoons they could have put on this disc! :confused:
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

SNES Chalmers

Postby SNES Chalmers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Disappointing. Along with the rest of the Jones RR shorts, I also would have liked to have seen the rest of the Bugs/Wile shorts, and they probably would have fit right in on this disc.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Gee, I wonder how many "Casual" buyers will be surprised to find that when they start up the DVD, they expect to see the traditional "bullseye" opening and stunning Chuck Jones animation and perfect-sounding Carl Stalling/Milt Franklyn music, only to get the bizzare "abstract" WB opening and music, limited and often sub-par Rudy Larriva/Format Films animation and the same annoying Bill Lava music cues over and over, not to mention NO Latin names at the beginning, the Road Runner actually sensing danger for once, and a few other of the unofficial Road Runner rules that were broken in the '60s!

But at least this DVD set will have my favorite non-Chuck Jones Road Runner cartoon: "Sugar and Spies!" I also liked "The Solid Tin Coyote" and "Chariots of Fur," surprisingly. But I was also surprised they went with one of the later Sander Schwartz-produced cartoons, "The Whizzard of Ow." I thought WB was acting as if those abominations never existed, like they're doing with "Loonatics Unleashed?"

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I still can't believe that that's the list of shorts. I mean, I understand that these collections are targeted for kids and families, it's like 4 shorts have already been on DVD and there are 3 that have been on DVD and have no purpose to be on the set whatsoever. Chariots Of Fur however does deserve a DVD debut, but since it's Silver Age they sould save it for a SE of a Looney Tune movie or Daffy Duck's Fantastic Island. Just to blow off some steam, here's what I think the list for this release should've been:

Again, this list is only an idea and is NOT the actual list for the official release:

-Wild About Hurry
-Hopalong Casulaity
-Lickety-Splat
-Beep Prepared
-Zoom and Bored (at least 1 previously-on-DVD short should be the new rule)
-Fastest With The Mostest
-War and Pieces
-Run, Run, Sweet Roadrunner
-Sugar and Spies
-Clippety Clobbered
-The Solid Tin Coyote
-Out And Out Rout
-Shot and Bothered
-Chaser On The Rocks
-Highway Runnery

^ Now that would be a list! Again, I'll buy the set for the new-to-DVD shorts alone.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”