LT Super Stars: Road Runner - October 4, 2011

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 pm

David Gerstein wrote:Agreed totally.

I not only agree but think that Thad's rant against the Larriva Road Runners is probably the best comment ever made about the series!!!! :D

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 pm

CaesarGJ wrote:TVshowsondvd is also reporting the dual aspect ratio thing like it's brand new for this release--did nobody tell them about Foghorn Leghorn?

To add insult to injury: the three webtoons and the two made-for-TV cartoons will presumably be matted even though they are fullscreen and were made to be seen that way. :rolleyes:
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Ugh. Seriously, I just want Warner Archives and none of this crap.

I also just want to buy SINGLE cartoons for $0.99, either on iTunes or elsewhere. None of this DUAL cartoon b.s. for $2 when I don't even WANT both cartoons. That way, I only get the cartoons I personally want, and no cartoons that are admittedly total filler.

This disc I won't buy UNTIL it hits the $5 Wal-Mart bin, and I'd probably not buy it until I really had to, like I did with Snoopy's Reunion. This was a poor excuse of a disc from WHV, and quite frankly they should have known better. I don't even have faith they'll release the Censored 11 restored and uncensored, that's how low they've sunk.

People talk about how the DVD market is "dead", but it's dreck like this that killed it IMO. For me, it's digital files or nothing at this point. Heck, I'd rather see Jabberjaw and the other Warner Archive releases as digital files that worked with iTunes instead of having to deal with DVDs anymore. The DVD market has gotten so bad that I cannot even justify buying ANY DVDs anymore, and that's just plain sad.

BJ

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 am

When I first heard about this last night, I read the title listing and thought it was a joke. I'm still hoping it is!

I like the later Jones shorts, but 2 of them are already included on the Golden sets as part of their original TV specials. The webtoons were ok as fun time-wasters online, but they look like crap on DVD. (I made the mistake of buying a used copy of one of the webtoon DVDs several years ago, and got rid of it ASAP!)

"Sugar and Spies" is an enjoyable cartoon, and I don't mind the Larriva stuff as much as some people do. But it's absolutely inexcusable that they didn't include a single one of the ten classic-era Jones shorts that haven't been released yet. Will I EVER see "Lickety Splat" on DVD? What about the rest of the Bugs/Coyote cartoons or Wolf/Sheepdog cartoons?

This reminds me of a drawing Jon Cooke did years ago: "Tom and Jerry's Lamest Chases". That became a reality with the recent T&J giftbox set, and now there's a Road Runner version.

I am still hoping this is a joke.

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 am

It's official: this set results from a crossbreeding between a marijuana-smoking monkey and a syphilitic prostitute. The casual buyer doesn't even deserve this. It's proof that WHV has *no* consideration for the average Joe contrary to it's claims.

I also echo Thad.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 am

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Jon, you're giving them credit for even knowing who directed any of these cartoons. Unless someone like myself or Jerry Beck is involved, they wouldn't know a Jones from a Larriva from a webtoon from a piece of accidentally exposed film.

And these people got their current jobs......... HOW????? :confused:
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheBlueHombre

Postby TheBlueHombre » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 am

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:It's official: this set results from a crossbreeding between a marijuana-smoking monkey and a syphilitic prostitute. The casual buyer doesn't even deserve this. It's proof that WHV has *no* consideration for the average Joe contrary to it's claims.

I also echo Thad.

I agree with you but also WHV "should" consider the tastes of the cartoon aficionados when putting together these collections. We were the ones who supported the Golden Collections in the first place and we are also the ones who are creating demand for future volumes. I would buy the disc if it was mixed with classic Jones shorts (like 8 or 9 cartoons) and then rounded out with the Larriva shorts and MAYBE one webtoon. I think that they are going to lose sales by not taking into consideration the tastes of cartoon fans like ourselves.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am

Daffysleftfoot wrote:And these people got their current jobs......... HOW????? :confused:

By being an illegal immigrant from Mexico or Iraq?
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:53 pm

This was a REALLY unpleasant surprise. This is what happened when I first saw the news about the RR disc.
:confused::D:eek::mad::(:rolleyes:
Since all had already been said, I have nothing more to add.

grundle

Postby grundle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Thad wrote:Honestly, I'd have rather it all been double-dipped, just to spare children being introduced to the characters this way. My love of animation stemmed from seeing the Chuck Jones originals. I don't think it'd have started at all if I was introduced to them in this way!

I agree with you.

When this shows up at amazon, I will be writing a 1 star review, and warning potential buyers that this DVD does not have the great Road Runner cartoons that they think it does.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”