'Herman and Katnip: The Complete Series' DVD - Sept. 6, 2011

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 am

My copy is officially on its way from Amazon. Seeing the screen shots of the contents was great - thanks for posting them.

I have a couple of questions and one observation...

Are all 32 cartoons on a single-sided disc or is this a double-sided disc?

Most sources list FRIGHTY CAT as released in 1958 and FELINEOUS ASSAULT as 1959 - yet on this set, both cartoons appear next to cartoons released much earlier. As the rest of the set appears to be chronological, are the release dates (1958 & 1959) correct?

And the observation...
While it's nice that we got the two Katnip cartoons, I find it curious that we did not get the earlier Herman solo cartoons. Perhaps it was felt that those titles have received a fair amount of exposure on public domain discs.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 pm

FleischerFan wrote:My copy is officially on its way from Amazon. Seeing the screen shots of the contents was great - thanks for posting them.

I have a couple of questions and one observation...

Are all 32 cartoons on a single-sided disc or is this a double-sided disc?

Most sources list FRIGHTY CAT as released in 1958 and FELINEOUS ASSAULT as 1959 - yet on this set, both cartoons appear next to cartoons released much earlier. As the rest of the set appears to be chronological, are the release dates (1958 & 1959) correct?

And the observation...
While it's nice that we got the two Katnip cartoons, I find it curious that we did not get the earlier Herman solo cartoons. Perhaps it was felt that those titles have received a fair amount of exposure on public domain discs.

We have to keep in mind this is not Shoot Factory release. So they might more keen to avoid material thats none Havery owned. It will be intresting to see the Shoot Factory's Chasper when that comes out.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Hey, the thing only costs $5.99 on Amazon. Who could afford to pass it up at that price?

My bad, I noticed from the screen caps that the set includes 33 cartoons, not 32. That means these cartoons are about 18¢ each!

And Woody, I think you mean Shout Factory.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:50 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Are all 32 cartoons on a single-sided disc or is this a double-sided disc?

Single-sided disc, back of box says 208 minutes long. All expense was spared to bring you these cartoons! :)

Having watched a couple more, they do seem complete. Unfortunately, they're still really mediocre cartoons in general. But hey, I knew that when I ordered it.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Sean Gaffney wrote:If anyone has a scene they know has been censored before on these cartoons, I can look to see if it's there when I get home tonight.

"Drinks on the Mouse". After Katnip falls asleep, Herman puts the open bottle of sleeping pills on its side by Katnip's mouth, so that Katnip inhales more pills every time he snores. This has been edited out at least since the wretched "Casper and Friends" from 1991. Even the hulu.com version is edited.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Most sources list FRIGHTY CAT as released in 1958 and FELINEOUS ASSAULT as 1959 - yet on this set, both cartoons appear next to cartoons released much earlier. As the rest of the set appears to be chronological, are the release dates (1958 & 1959) correct?

Yes. Both cartoons were obviously made after "the animation budgets went to hell" in 1957. In "Felineous Assault", Katnip is wearing pants!

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Bobby Bickert wrote:"Drinks on the Mouse". After Katnip falls asleep, Herman puts the open bottle of sleeping pills on its side by Katnip's mouth, so that Katnip inhales more pills every time he snores. This has been edited out at least since the wretched "Casper and Friends" from 1991. Even the hulu.com version is edited.

Yeah, that's not here. We only see the first time he takes the pills. The version here is 5:47 (no ending credits).

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Ah, so there is more than 60 minutes of material here. Good to see.

Amazon needs to update its page.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:45 am

Bobby Bickert wrote:"Drinks on the Mouse". After Katnip falls asleep, Herman puts the open bottle of sleeping pills on its side by Katnip's mouth, so that Katnip inhales more pills every time he snores. This has been edited out at least since the wretched "Casper and Friends" from 1991. Even the hulu.com version is edited.

Anything else?
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 am

These are the clipshow titles: If my information are correct I do wonder how complete they are.

Cat Carson Rides Again
Northwest Mousie
Surf And Sound

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”