'Herman and Katnip: The Complete Series' DVD - Sept. 6, 2011

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:26 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Ah, youth.

"Isis" began as part of "The Shazam - Isis Hour" on CBS Saturday mornings. The "Shazam" part was loosely based on the classic Captain Marvel (from the 1940's) character. "Isis" was a similar concept - only created expressly for the television show and aimed more at girls (the suits figuring that Captain Marvel would appeal mainly to boys).

Ironically, "Isis" proved more popular and continued on with CBS after they cancelled the "Shazam" portion.

People who were around as kids (or older) in the 1970's should remember the show. A mousey librarian type would call upon a mythological goddess of Egypt ("Oh, mighty Isis...") and be transformed into a very fetching super-heroine (just as Billy Batson would called on several mythological figures and one Hebrew king and be transformed into Captain Marvel).

As far as Herman & Katnip go, it is possible to like both H&K and Tom & Jerry. I have to honestly say that I find Tom & Jerry to be much better made cartoons, but I have already pre-ordered the H&K set and hope this is only the beginning for many of those Famous Studios cartoons.

When I told my mom about the H/K and Isis thing (she liked both as a kid):

"OH MIGHTY ISIS!!!" :D
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 pm

What's the Beany & Cecil reference in the title of this thread, and where on CB does it indicate that other Columbia shorts are being released? Will they be part of this collection (bonus cartoons?) or a separate disc/set? Please provide a link to this info... Thanks!

Dave Mackey

Postby Dave Mackey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm

tvshowsondvd.com regards Herman and Katnip as an element of "Matty's Funday Funnies", the precursor to "Beany and Cecil", and that's how they categorize it.

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:32 pm

MF TOON wrote:What's the Beany & Cecil reference in the title of this thread, and where on CB does it indicate that other Columbia shorts are being released? Will they be part of this collection (bonus cartoons?) or a separate disc/set? Please provide a link to this info... Thanks!

H/K shorts used to air on Matty's Funday Funnies, the show that featured the animated debut of B/C.
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:22 pm

So if this is the complete Herman & Katnip, why is the price only $7.93 and the running time listed at only 60 minutes on Amazon? Color me confused.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Maybe its vol 1, of set series. But Classic Media generally don'T have clue when it comes to theaterical cartoons it seems. To make matter worse why don'T they never consult with Jerry Beck its just mind blowing.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:H/K shorts used to air on Matty's Funday Funnies, the show that featured the animated debut of B/C.

If I recall correctly -- it was originally "Matty's Funday Funnies" (because it was sponsored by Mattel and aired on Sundays) and then when they replaced the Harveytoons with Beany & Cecil the show was retitled "Matty's Funnies With Beany And Cecil." Then eventually just "Beany And Cecil." When the Harveytoons were dropped, then they went into syndication. "The New Casper Cartoon Show" (which came later) consisted of one new made-for-TV Casper and two Modern Madcaps -- the Modern Madcaps were not part of the original Harvey deal, but Paramount sold them to Harvey later for the TV show.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:52 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:Maybe its vol 1, of set series.
Well that would be false advertising if true.

Hopefully it's just an Amazon error.

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:46 am

Not long before this announcement, I saw a listing on ebaY which showed the same cover as the one they've pictured, but the description just had a few of the usual public domain titles mentioned, I think probably just lifted from the description of some other DVD maybe? I wasn't sure what I was looking at...by the way, no Katnips are PD, right? Or what about "Sock-A-Bye Kitty" with Buzzy? That one is on a Mill Creek set, but so is "Tears Of An Onion.":cool:

PeppeRaskell1

Postby PeppeRaskell1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Wish they'd release Beany and Cecil: The Complete Series on DVD.
"Crimefighters...don't cry...(HONK!)"

"If this is 'all right,' I'd hate to see me in trouble!"

"あなたの弾丸は私に害を与えることができない! 私の翼は鋼鉄の盾のようである!"

"This is my childhood. Don't mess with my childhood..."

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”