'Herman and Katnip: The Complete Series' DVD - Sept. 6, 2011

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm surprised... only 6 more days until this Herman and Katnip DVD comes out, and we still don't know what the official contents will be?

Unbelievable... :confused: :confused:
"The dirty f***!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:24 am

Coming out today, am I right?
Please let us know more, post screenshots etc.:)
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 pm

How about some DVD Menu Screenshots?

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:37 pm

I picked up the DVD, mostly as I never got around to getting the Harveytoons collection. Thus, I have nothing to compare it with. I suspect, however, it's a straight double-dip.

Screenshots posted. No ending card/titles as there wasn't any for the cartoon I viewed (the first on the set).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:37 pm

More shots from the first cartoon on the set:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Sean Gaffney wrote:I picked up the DVD, mostly as I never got around to getting the Harveytoons collection. Thus, I have nothing to compare it with. I suspect, however, it's a straight double-dip.
Amazingly, nope: from the menu, it's clear that this includes a lot of shorts that the Harveytoons collection only featured as excerpts, or not at all (FUN ON FURLOUGH).
I don't like to rely on Wikipedia, but going by its possibly inaccurate filmography (because I've no time to consult anything else), the disc does seem to include the whole series, along with two Katnip solo shorts (FEAST AND FURIOUS and CITY KITTY).

OTOH, your screengrabs also show that these are still modern Harvey TV prints with no enhancement or complete titles; not a surprise. And we know nothing (yet) about how chopped up they might be.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Ken Layton

Postby Ken Layton » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Sean:

Where did you buy your copy at? If it's at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, I will be buying this for sure.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:21 am

Ken Layton wrote:Sean:

Where did you buy your copy at? If it's at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, I will be buying this for sure.

I got it from Amazon.

Most of the shorts on here seem to run between 5:30 and 6:15.

Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 am

If anyone has a scene they know has been censored before on these cartoons, I can look to see if it's there when I get home tonight.

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 am

OK. I kept score on this, and it looks like it's (so far) not a fail in terms of this being the COMPLETE series (there was some rotation so it's not in chronological order, but it's still complete). We even get a couple of Katnip shorts as bonus. Is there a catch, however? Some of these shorts were on the Harveytoons Show, but as just clips. Finally, from looking at the images, I see some Harvey titles; is the whole title on here in the begining with the theme song, or are those from the titles for the Harveytoons Show.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”