Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:59 am

The cropping on the Bugs and Daffy DVD's annoyed me too, but they did release classic Looney Tunes last year, not to mention the Foghorn disc did provide the full images. I assume the Sylvester and Tweety disc did also, but it was so much double-dip it wasn't worth buying. That whole series of DVDs has shortcomings but I think it was better than nothing.

The Popeye 2-reelers went through such extensive and amazing restoration that I can't even begin to fault them for some tiny bit of DVNR I've never even detected.

And I agree, Classic Media doesn't consult anybody, they don't really give a rat what we want, and they generally don't do ANYTHING right, or even approach WB's typical 90% of getting it right.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:00 pm

raginggoodfella wrote:Check out the Ali Baba or Sinbad short(while bluto is on the camel scene, I don't remember which title that scene occurs) on Popeye for dvnr. The Bugs Bunny and Daffy shorts on LT Superstars are NOT complete because you don't have the whole image.

What did I say about deaf yes and they also try to play solo like the widescreen scandal on first super star DVD's
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm

raginggoodfella wrote:So Jerry hasn't lied to me personally because we don't each other, but over the years he has mentioned stuff at cartoonrearch.com/cartoon brew.com and here that turned out not to be true. Some things that Jerry has supposed posted/written/said are: 1. no dvnr on the woody and popeye sets(I think Jerry actually a money back promise to one cartoon research.com member on the Popeye set), 2. no double dipping on LT/MM dvds, 3. restored T&J shorts on the Spolight Collections. 4. BIG PLANS for the LT in upcoming year!-- yea no releases of the classic stuff that year or the following years(looney tunes superstars dvd do not count in my mind as classic shorts).

That doesn't mean he was lying. It's possible those were the plans and then Warner changed it's mind after Jerry Beck told us this stuff.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:25 pm

speedy fast wrote:That doesn't mean he was lying. It's possible those were the plans and then Warner changed it's mind after Jerry Beck told us this stuff.

Exactly. Unfortunately, Jerry doesn't oversee these projects from start-to-finish ... they pass through many different hands at a big company like WB. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I imagine Jerry is as disappointed as the rest of us when he discovers someone dropped the ball somewhere along the line or release plans were changed for whatever reason. He'd never intentionally "lie" to us. He's a huge reason we have nearly all those amazing DVD sets on our shelves in the first place.

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 pm

But what about us little people with DVD players? :(
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:But what about us little people with DVD players? :(

Jon has posted this earlier (page 8):

Jon Cooke wrote:Here are the Amazon pre-order links! :tomcat::jerry:

Blu-Ray

DVD
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm

I couldn't resist:

DIE FLDERMAUS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, not to be OT, but I was watching over TJ Spotlight Collection and The Truce Hurts wasn't censored. It just was when a small clip from it was shown in the "Behind the Music" featurette...
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:49 pm

*Orgasm*

I want this. I've seen all the cartoons, I doubt the set will offer me anything new, but I want this.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 pm

A while back, Dhave Gerstein unearthed quite a few original Tom and Jerry titles and posted them on his blog (here and here specifically).

I hope Warner can strike a deal with these collectors and use these titles on the DVD's, if not as the main restoration source for the body of the cartoon then at least to restore the titles.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Leviathan wrote:A while back, Dhave Gerstein unearthed quite a few original Tom and Jerry titles and posted them on his blog (here and here specifically).

I hope Warner can strike a deal with these collectors and use these titles on the DVD's, if not as the main restoration source for the body of the cartoon then at least to restore the titles.

I remember some of those from the late 90's Tom and Jerry cartoons on CN.
Also, he hasn't updated his blog since October.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”