Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:45 am

Duck Dodgers wrote:Apparently, the ones "with original titles" are the ones that do not look very good.

This is simply not understandable. WB could have EASILY just used the CRI prints as the basis of their restorations for those shorts and then simply insert the original version of what's different between the reissue and the original release.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:26 am

Some screenshots have been posted on blu-ray.com (actually off-screen camera recordings). The blackface gags in Milky Waif and The Truce Hruts are present and accounted for, and the transfer of Kitty Foiled no longer has DVNR.

I think those are pretty big gains from the current spotlights.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:45 am

Leviathan wrote:Some screenshots have been posted on blu-ray.com (actually off-screen camera recordings). The blackface gags in Milky Waif and The Truce Hruts are present and accounted for, and the transfer of Kitty Foiled no longer has DVNR.

Also from a member of blu-ray.com:

"The different title cards I've noted so far are;

- 'Puss Gets The Boot'
- 'Midnight Snack'
- 'Night Before Christmas'
- MGM version 1
- MGM version 2
- Normal 40's one with 'red circles' (like Looney Toons)
- Normal 50's one with blue background and yellow text "

It sounds like we MIGHT (notice the key word might; that doesn't mean will, and I am at risk of starting a rumor) have the Midnight Snack with their original titles. I hope we have an official list soon.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 pm

There are some shorts looking remarkable, and real disappointments.

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 pm

matiasdf wrote:There are some shorts looking remarkable, and real disappointments.

As I write this, I compared the videos on Facebook with what's airing now on Cartoon Network, and yes I agree. I think that all of these cartoons will be runable and fine though.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Kowalski

Postby Kowalski » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Leviathan wrote:Some screenshots have been posted on blu-ray.com (actually off-screen camera recordings). The blackface gags in Milky Waif and The Truce Hruts are present and accounted for, and the transfer of Kitty Foiled no longer has DVNR.

Many thanks to the guy who posted the screenshots at blu-ray.com forum. It's great to see that cartoons seem to be uncut, at least from these examples, and some screenshots look really good, though we must take in consideration the fact that these are photos recorded from tv screen (and many factors can substantially alter the picture quality, including the settings on this person's tv).
Perhaps I'm wrong, but "Puss Gets The Boot" screenshot looks odd and inferior to the restored print used on Spotlight collection vol.2. Again, a direct screenshot form blu-ray disc would help.
Now, regarding the original titles, if I understood correctly the guide from blu-ray.com forum, I'm afraid we're about to be VERY disappointed...:(

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I hope we don't. I mean, it would be a real waste if they didn't use all the recent discoveries...

Daff Doc

Postby Daff Doc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers
Apparently, the ones "with original titles" are the ones that do not look very good.

matiasdf wrote:This is simply not understandable. WB could have EASILY just used the CRI prints as the basis of their restorations for those shorts and then simply insert the original version of what's different between the reissue and the original release.

I prefer them that way.
Well, fancy meeting you two here.

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Kowalski wrote:Now, regarding the original titles, if I understood correctly the guide from blu-ray.com forum, I'm afraid we're about to be VERY disappointed...:(

In what way?

I mean - are the original titles missing from cartoons where we know the titles has been found? Are they missing from cartoons that had them on previous home video releases?

Kowalski

Postby Kowalski » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm

trondmm wrote:In what way?

I mean - are the original titles missing from cartoons where we know the titles has been found? Are they missing from cartoons that had them on previous home video releases?

Cartoons that had the original opening on previous dvd & video releases are keeping it in this collection ("Puss Gets The Boot" and "The Night Before Christmas").
But, according to this guide of the opening titles posted on blu-ray.com, it looks like all the other cartoons have reissue titles (many of them even have the '60s MGM logo that was often seen on the old pre-Turner TV prints):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/175999-tom-jerry-golden-collection-blu-ray-pre-order-up-18.html#post5351100

Of course, there's a possibility that the original poster has made a mistake in some cases.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”