Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 am

From WB Classic Animation Facebook:

"Thanks for your inquiry. We wanted to take the time to answer your question properly, so we went to our resident expert of the classic animation. Here is what we found:

The main titles on the master film elements of the cartoons were often changed for reissue. That meant that the original negatives or our best surviving elements reflect those changes permanently made to the film elements, as the originals were not saved. This is the case with many Looney Tunes as well as MGM Tom & Jerry. We used the original negatives or our best surviving elements for the restoration. In the case of Tom and Jerry, most of the original elements were lost to a fire. Only a few shorts actually survived this tragedy, and those sources were used in the new collection."

Let's hear you. What do you think?
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 am

Understandable.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:39 am

King Delbert wrote:Let's hear you. What do you think?

I understand completely. But some of us have materials that WHV doesn't (David having some original T&J cards and Thad having some LT original titles like Daffy Dilly, unless if the two don't have them anymore). And I think we should let WB borrow them so we can help out and help them in some way. I think someone stated an idea like this before, but still.

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:44 am

Toonatic wrote:I understand completely. But some of us have materials that WHV doesn't (David having some original T&J cards and Thad having some LT original titles like Daffy Dilly, unless if the two don't have them anymore). And I think we should let WB borrow them so we can help out and help them in some way. I think someone stated an idea like this before, but still.

Maybe something like this just isn't possible. Just because people have unearthed this stuff doesn't necessarily mean it's realistic to somehow splice them into existing cartoons and make DVDs out of them.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:38 am

I wanted to see the unearthed titles. If Warner's people didn't want to go the extra mile or outright think we are stupid, then they I'm not sure if they deserve my money.

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:15 pm

CueBallCat79 wrote:Maybe something like this just isn't possible. Just because people have unearthed this stuff doesn't necessarily mean it's realistic to somehow splice them into existing cartoons and make DVDs out of them.

But isn't that what WHV has done in most cases with original titles on the LTGCs, take the original title sequence and digitally splice it into the master taken from the negative during the production process?

Your point does stand though. A film historian like Jerry Beck or David Gerstein may make these wonderful discoveries, but it's not WHV's call whether they'll get to use that material, as much as we wish they could.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:28 pm

The way I see the whole subject if a film historian who really cares about the cartoons discovers such a thing, they should make them available to the owner of the rights to the cartoon.

Whatever, right now I'm not sure if I will buy this.

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Keep in mind that it is always easier for Warner to get surviving material not in their possession from universities or public buildings rather than seeking a collector's contribution... A collector might turn down their request for several reasons.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:Keep in mind that it is always easier for Warner to get surviving material not in their possession from universities or public buildings rather than seeking a collector's contribution... A collector might turn down their request for several reasons.

I understand. But the fact is we aren't getting original title cards, KNOWN to exist. To me the hope of getting original title cards not seen since the original release, was a major reason to buy this.

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:42 pm

This set hasn't even officially come out yet, so why are people starting to say,"Shite release, don't buy." Be patient people. Come Tuesday we'll all be able to see what this set is really like. To me it seems great and I'm most likely gonna buy it.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”