Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:55 pm

gabriel_katikos wrote:Only two more days until this set comes out, so when are we going to find out which cartoons will have restored original titles?

I would have thought that by now someone would have spelled this out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Guys, everybody calm the fork down. WHV didn't go out of their way to get those titles because they almost never deal with private collectors. All of the original titles that were on the Looney Tunes sets are there because they had a copy in their holdings. The company has almost zero interest in securing nitrate elements or 16mm prints that are located on the other side of the country.

That said, there are some serious problems with this release, but that's for another time...

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Thad wrote:
That said, there are some serious problems with this release, but that's for another time...

Not liking the sound of that.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Thad wrote:Guys, everybody calm the fork down. WHV didn't go out of their way to get those titles because they almost never deal with private collectors. All of the original titles that were on the Looney Tunes sets are there because they had a copy in their holdings. The company has almost zero interest in securing nitrate elements or 16mm prints that are located on the other side of the country.

Well I didn't know that all the LTGC original titles restorations are from prints already in their vaults...

What do you exactly mean by "serious problems"?
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Like what? Cropped images? Redubbed prints?

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm

The review at www.blu-ray.com linked to earlier in this thread includes the line (italics mine): "...some of these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created...". Has Lillian Randolph been redubbed? (Even though her name is in the amazon.com listing.)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Bobby Bickert wrote:The review at http://www.blu-ray.com linked to earlier in this thread includes the line (italics mine): "...some of these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created...". Has Lillian Randolph been redubbed? (Even though her name is in the amazon.com listing.)

I'm hoping he means the original titles.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm

The above quote (which is actually from a disclaimer on the set itself) is in a paragraph about the "un-PC" content in the earlier Tom & Jerry cartoons. Doesn't sound promising...

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm

We have pictoral evidence that Warner left the blackface gags The Milky Waif and The Truce Hurts alone. Those were two of the shorts cut for the first Spotlight Collection, so I think we can rule out censorship, accidental or otherwise.

DVNR, maybe? (Though again, Kitty Foiled looked pretty clean)
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

To me, that quote just meant that those "some" cartoons typically censored are now presented uncensored...
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”