Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Bobby Bickert wrote:The review at http://www.blu-ray.com linked to earlier in this thread includes the line (italics mine): "...some of these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created...". Has Lillian Randolph been redubbed? (Even though her name is in the amazon.com listing.)

Most likely a standard legal disclaimer they use on all these kind of releases, just so they're covered. Like on TV show season sets, how sometimes they say something like "some episodes may be edited from their original network versions." Lawyers probably make them phrase it that way.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Is it about the MGM logos? Cause I remember seeing the 60's version of the logo for Mouse Trouble on the Academy Awards Collection.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 am

There are NO original titles on this set, save Puss Gets the Boot (with its fake, digital MGM cartoon logo) and The Night Before Christmas.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 am

What about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse? We've been told that would have the original titles on this set.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:09 am

Toonatic wrote:What about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse? We've been told that would have the original titles on this set.

NO. You people just love misconstruing and misinforming. NONE of them have original titles, and NONE were promised.

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 am

Thad wrote:NO. You people just love misconstruing and misinforming. NONE of them have original titles, and NONE were promised.

We're at least still getting great copies of the cartoons though, right? :tomcat::jerry:

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 am

Of most of them.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 am

You should buy this DVD.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 am

But I thought you partly labeled it as a joke.

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Larry T wrote:Moderator Note: Guys, knock it off. You've made yourself clear- any further bickering will result in being blocked- you have been warned.

Now please keep in mind these reasons why Warner's may not have used the original title cards/best print/ etc to release on this set:

- Full restoration costs money. A LOT of money. Yes, Warner's has a lot of money, but whenever they warrant a project like this, remember it's done at a financial level. They're a corporation- pure and simple. They have to look at how much revenue this will generate, so there's no way they would go out and restore every single T&J title in their vault if the return on their product won't recoup the costs of making it.

- The people directly in charge of putting together these things are not always cartoon lovers themselves and often do not even know the difference between an original title card and a stick drawing by one of their kids.

- Many times the people who own the best/ only known original prints in existence won't lend them out for distribution, unless they get some exorbitant fee for doing it. Jerry has said himself that in the past WHV doesn't offer a huge amount of cash for using a private print (actually, it's often nothing at all)- in which case the owner thinks, "Hmm, I get nothing and my print gets restored and the whole world gets a copy and I'm still left with my own copy... no deal."

- Time restraints on the product release. Again, Warner's is a business and these projects are given time spans. If phases of searching out/ restoration/ manufacturing the product looks like it's going to go over the allotted project timeline, then the parts that will take the largest amount of time are scrapped and revisited.

- The prints available themselves may not even be workable. There may be a copy with original titles but it's in such poor repair that working to restore may become a huge nightmare- so the idea gets dropped.

And one last thing: please keep in mind that Warner's owes you NOTHING. They have NO responsibility to make sure YOU are totally happy with what you pay for. They put a product out- if you like it, you buy it- if you don't, Warner's doesn't lose sleep over it. They don't even have to go into their cartoon vault and release ANY titles at all, because they can make a huge return releasing Adam Sandler's latest flop or "Transformers XVII: Return From the Junk Pile". They don't need your $XX.xx for the purchase of a Blu-Ray set any more than you want to buy an 'inferior' product, and they are NOT going to jump through hoops to get your purchase. End of story.

Back to the discussion- and please keep all comments with a minimum of consideration for other readers. Thank you.

I've been watching this thread and mulling the increasingly antagonistic posts for the past few days and have been wanting to say something like the above, but didn't want to for fear of appearing to be a backseat moderator. So first of all, thanks to Larry T for putting it so eloquently.

Secondly, this puts me in mind of an idea that I've had since the AAP titles appeared on Popeye Vol. 2. (And before I go further, if a moderator thinks this idea belongs somewhere other than this thread, feel free to move it)

Basically, I think studios that deal in releasing films like this such as WHV and others ought to have a dedicated person who is versed in their history on the payroll to ensure quality control. I realize that Jerry Beck performs a similar function now, but as an independent consultant he has several projects that demand his attention from multiple sources. And it has been the case in the past (notably with the DVNR'd Droopy set) where Mr. Beck raises concerns, but it's too late to fix any errors because the release date is already a week away.

But if there was a dedicated historian-like employee on hand for a studio, one that could differentiate between reissues and child's stick figures, errors could be corrected before they become unfixable.

Such a person could also potentially coordinate with collectors for the use of orignal prints and the like. In the matter of what a collector wants for use of the print, if there's no money available save what's needed for restoration perhaps a compromise would be an unobtrusive slide after the cartoon ends which reads something like "Original print courtesy of John Doe."

If it was possible for a person to do that and, most importantly, do it within the alloted production cycle for a DVD set, I feel it could only improve the quality of releases.

I realize that the current economics of the situation make this a pipe dream at best, but it's a nice one. If I weren't in the service I'd like to try and make such a thing a reality.

Thad wrote:NO. You people just love misconstruing and misinforming. NONE of them have original titles, and NONE were promised.

Count me among the misinformed then. I'm scratching my head now at how that rumor about DJ&MM got started in the first place, since it's so specific.

Thad wrote:You should buy this DVD.

I'd certainly love to if I were in the States at this time, but what about those 'massive problems' you mentioned a few posts back?

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”