Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
User avatar
Duck Dodgers
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Postby Duck Dodgers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Thad wrote:I should add that this is the first time I've ever seen Old Rockin' Chair Tom _not_ shift to inferior source material in its final thirty seconds.


Now you should have to show us the garbage so we'll have seen the best and the worst they can do:o
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

User avatar
Bannedcartoonfan
Junior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 am

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:I think it is necessary.
If they own copies in far superior quality and used, for an error, the worst prints, I suppose we can at least politely ask a replacement program.
It is important to let them aware of the fact that they did wrong again.


Good point,I'm just saying that we shouldn't go to them and say,"This sucks make it better!" I also just think that we, unfortunately, might not get replacement discs. Then again, it also depends on how bad the prints really look, which sadly doesn't seem too good judging from what Thad has described to us.

User avatar
Toonatic
Junior Member
Posts: 683
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:33 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Toonatic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Look, these cartoons are going to look the best they can be and there's no lie in that. Like I said, blame the fire at MGM that destroyed the original prints, not WHV. Yes, some transfers may not look their finests, but there are major improvement from the Spotlight Collections. Look for yourself:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tom-and-Jerry-The-Golden-Collection-Volume-One-Blu-ray/25825/#Screenshots

I know you're upset about the lack of original titles (I am too! I was hoping to see the original titles for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse), but this is best Warner is going to do with what materials they can find/have. As for me, I hope this wave of collections include the Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones shorts for the future.

User avatar
Scarlet Pumpernickel
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:18 am
Location: Tour de France

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't know if that post on the Blu-Ray forum actually started this rumor, but the nature alone of it - no source quoted whatsoever- is proof that an original, pre-1954 print of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse being present in the set was total forgery from the beginning.
This is kind of reminiscent of the presentation of the iPhone 4S where people had gobbled up so many rumors on the Web that they were getting their hopes up for the iPhone 5, and ended up disappointed by the lack of novelties.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

User avatar
Joe H
Junior Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:38 am

Postby Joe H » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:07 pm

So, either the source material present was the best WB had on hand, or a common case of the wrong master being transferred for some shorts. Could be a combination of both.

I'm still getting it, but will wait a bit to see more details on what (if anything) went wrong with the transfers and what Thad posts on his blog.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:I don't know if that post on the Blu-Ray forum actually started this rumor, but the nature alone of it - no source quoted whatsoever- is proof that an original, pre-1954 print of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse being present in the set was total forgery from the beginning.


It was started around the time of the Comic Con, where that cartoon was previewed. Someone who went to the booth and spoke to the reps said that cartoon was one of the handful where original negatives survived.

Mouse Cleaning is the only one we know will be original because it's the only one Jerry Beck has referred to multiple times. That is one we should expect to look near-pristine.

User avatar
Bannedcartoonfan
Junior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 am

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Joe H wrote:
Mouse Cleaning is the only one we know will be original because it's the only one Jerry Beck has referred to multiple times. That is one we should expect to look near-pristine.



Sadly we have to wait for volume 2 to see this one. Usually I wouldn't care about something like that but the fact that the very last cartoon on this DVD comes RIGHT before Mouse Cleaning(chronilogically) kind of annoys me. Oh well. :(

User avatar
Duck Dodgers
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Postby Duck Dodgers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Bannedcartoonfan wrote:Good point,I'm just saying that we shouldn't go to them and say,"This sucks make it better!" I also just think that we, unfortunately, might not get replacement discs. Then again, it also depends on how bad the prints really look, which sadly doesn't seem too good judging from what Thad has described to us.


I have a very strong and high opinion about Thad and his judgements about classic cartoons.
If he says that the cartoons he mentioned come from inferior quality copies and some of them look like garbage I'm 99% sure it's just that way.



Toonatic wrote:Look, these cartoons are going to look the best they can be and there's no lie in that. Like I said, blame the fire at MGM that destroyed the original prints, not WHV. Yes, some transfers may not look their finests, but there are major improvement from the Spotlight Collections. Look for yourself:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tom-and-Jerry-The-Golden-Collection-Volume-One-Blu-ray/25825/#Screenshots



That's not true.
WB owns better copies of these cartoons and they did not use them.
If you look at the shot of "The Bowling Alley Cat" you can easily see that the copy is an inferior one.
I'll wait to have the set in my hands, then I'll start my polite requests for a replacement disc program. It's a way to let them understand that the people behind the quality control for these releases are making mistakes from years.
And it could let us obtain replacements.
Don't you remember that this way we had replacements for the Disney Treasures ("Chronological Donald volume 4" and "Silly Simphonies volume 2"), the LTGC volume 2 as well as other ones.
Those were the days we used to fight together:tweety:

User avatar
matiasdf
Junior Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:56 am
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay

Postby matiasdf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:39 pm

People, what should we do? It would be quite smart waiting 'til tomorrow, right?
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

User avatar
Duck Dodgers
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Postby Duck Dodgers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

matiasdf wrote:People, what should we do? It would be quite smart waiting 'til tomorrow, right?


That's my idea, guys.
I've already bought the set, I suggest you to do the same because it will be great.
It could have been an hit, actaully it is in some way a miss.
Let's watch it and then, who wants, will follow me posting on the Facebook page asking for a replacement program.
For the rest, let's enjoy the set and the many (sadly, not all) cartoons beautifully restored in it.

User avatar
trondmm
Junior Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:23 am
Location: Oslo

Postby trondmm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Bannedcartoonfan wrote:Sadly we have to wait for volume 2 to see this one. Usually I wouldn't care about something like that but the fact that the very last cartoon on this DVD comes RIGHT before Mouse Cleaning(chronilogically) kind of annoys me. Oh well. :(


But that's no coincidence. They stopped at 37 cartoons spesifically because there wasn't enough time to restore Mouse Cleaning in time for this release.


Return to “GAC News and Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests