Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Joe H

Postby Joe H » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 am

matiasdf wrote:Also, Thad implies that there are different types of CRI elements for T&J (at least used on this set) so it'd be great if he did clear up that.

While most best represent what the original negative looked like, CRIs are from multiple generations. So I imagine some of the inferior ones were struck from inferior elements. Puttin on the Dog is one Thad is pretty sure is derived from Eastman stock due to how it looks and the Metrocolor MGM logo.

Though I think Thad was also suggesting that some CRIs were just poorly struck by the film lab technicians decades ago.

Duck Dodgers wrote:I started my polite campaign for a replacement disc program on the WB classic animation facebook page.
You can join me there.

http://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation

Please, letìs fight together. If they see that many people write the same thing they'll listen to us.

I'm curious to see how actives the reps of that particular page are in answering questions. I know their responses to questions posted on their Warner Archive wall are much more frequent. Here's hoping the message gets across.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am

Pardon me, but, how is Metrocolor related to Eastmancolor stock?
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

raginggoodfella

Postby raginggoodfella » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:34 pm

So it worth buying either on DVD or Blu-ray? I read Thad's review and he said to buy it.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm

raginggoodfella wrote:So it worth buying either on DVD or Blu-ray? I read Thad's review and he said to buy it.
I'll be honest. Right now, I'm not sure, I mean, I think it's worth buying, but I want WHV to know that we noticed these serious issues, that we don't like them, and that we expect them to not happen again and hopefully to be corrected in later pressings.
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Well, got the set today in the mail (along with Robot Chicken Season 5), and the set is pretty good. My gripe is the use of the cartoons with the 60's MGM Logo, that REALLY bugged me. I wouldn't have mind if WB used the 40's-50's prints of the shorts. I may need to hold on to my SCs just for that reason. I hope a replacement program for better transfers of the affected 10 from the non-60's prints and from the 40's-50's prints is put into consideration. Still, it's a good set and worth a recommendation.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 pm

matiasdf wrote:Pardon me, but, how is Metrocolor related to Eastmancolor stock?

Metrocolor was MGM's brand name for the Eastman color process they used in the mid 50s on.

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I have to say, I'm a bit spooked after reading a few of those reviews. However, I feel like if I see it at Wal-Mart tonight, I may go ahead and pick it up. I am horrified about some of the cartoons' quality, but one of my personal faves, The Yankee Doodle Mouse, doesn't appear to be one of the "messed up 10", so that makes me happy.

But since I know now to manage my expectations with regards to this set's quality, I may be pleasantly surprised.

BJ

cartoonlover675

Postby cartoonlover675 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:13 pm

So exactly which of the cartoons DO have the original titles? That is, if anyone has skimmed through the set already.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Only Puss Gets The Boot and Night Before Christmas.

gabriel_katikos

Postby gabriel_katikos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Toonatic wrote:Only Puss Gets The Boot and Night Before Christmas.

But Puss Gets the Boot still has that redone, fake-looking "An MGM Cartoon" card at the beginning.
"The dirty f***!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”