Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Mark J

Postby Mark J » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Problems are expected with WB (although there should be some quality control - how could they not know this would be noticable if they are using the 60s MGM intro?), the good news is the chronological format and uncut shorts. This will be a definite purchase for me.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:59 am

Mark J wrote:Problems are expected with WB (although there should be some quality control - how could they not know this would be noticable if they are using the 60s MGM intro?), the good news is the chronological format and uncut shorts. This will be a definite purchase for me.

They should have to ask collectors, people like Jerry, to know if they are doing everything right.
In Italy, a little company, like Steve Stanchfield's, started to release PD features. They ask the help of collectors and make a work of love.
The result? The best copy ever of Laurel and Hardy's "Flying Deuces" was released in Italy several months ago, complete with RKO original titles, in several languages including, of course, the original one.
I wonder why people at WB cannot do the same.
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:16 am

Duck Dodgers wrote:They should have to ask collectors, people like Jerry, to know if they are doing everything right.
In Italy, a little company, like Steve Stanchfield's, started to release PD features. They ask the help of collectors and make a work of love.
The result? The best copy ever of Laurel and Hardy's "Flying Deuces" was released in Italy several months ago, complete with RKO original titles, in several languages including, of course, the original one.
I wonder why people at WB cannot do the same.

Has to be a mastery. Anything a legal expert can figure out. :tweety:
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Bugsmer

Postby Bugsmer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 am

I had been wondering when an "Official Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Talkback Thread" would appear. I figured that the set's release date had been held back. Little was I to know that over fifteen pages about the new release would be found inside of this thread. Perhaps this set wasn't deemed different enough from the previous Spotlight Collection DVDs to warrant its own talkback thread. I watched a few Tom and Jerry cartoons from my Spotlight Collections today and I'm fine with the quality. If the quality, by and large, succeeds that of the Spotlight Collections, then perhaps I may pick up a set one day, but for the time being, I shall await the release of each set and read about them. When they have all been released, I shall decide whether or not they warrant a purchase. From what I've read and seen thus far, it looks like a maybe. If I can get the entire theatrical run of Hanna and Barbara Tom and Jerry cartoons in at least serviceable quality, then perhaps I'll go for it.
:sylvester Thufferin' thuckatash!

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Just curious: If I now buy from Amazon the Spotlight collection is there a possibility that I could get the versions with troubles instead than the ones with the replaced discs?

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:Just curious: If I now buy from Amazon the Spotlight collection is there a possibility that I could get the versions with troubles instead than the ones with the replaced discs?

I don't think so. I think the versions that are still available are the corrected ones. Can anyone clarify this?

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I can confirm that the version now on sale are the corrected ones.
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 pm

matiasdf wrote:I can confirm that the version now on sale are the corrected ones.

Were is that confirmation on WB facebook page?
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Woody Woodpecker wrote:Were is that confirmation on WB facebook page?

They're talking about the old Spotlight Collection DVDs, not the new Golden Collection BD/DVD. In any case - there's no information about this on WBs facebook or regular webpage.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 am

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/WBClassicAnimation

Let's keep asking for the replacement campaign.
It seems they are at least listening.

"WB Classic Animation To all who have asked questions about the remastering quality, our team is looking into it and will have an answer for you shortly."

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”