Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Blu-Ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Bradskey wrote:My main point is I don't think people need to feel they have to upgrade their DVD collections. While most VHS collections have probably benn discarded or boxed up, DVD is still as convenient and watchable as ever. Upgrade a few favorite titles to blu-ray if they're available. A lot of stuff will never be on blu-ray, or at least not for a long time. Some old TV shows and TV cartoons can't really benefit much from blu-ray anyway. This type of material continues to be released on DVD almost exclusively and probably will be for years. But movies, even old ones, are best served by blu-ray. I'm wondering how long before Warner Archive starts offering a blu-ray option, since I have been able to author blu-ray on inexpensive media at home for quite some time.

I fished a lot of old John Wayne VHS out of the bargain bins for peanuts years ago. I never did buy them on DVD, which means I haven't watched them in years outside the occasional TV viewing. Now a fair number of them are coming out on blu-ray and are pretty inexpensive. They look gorgeous, very cinematic, and I'm glad I waited. I'm also excited about old films like Island of Lost Souls making it to Hi-Def release, and of course, classic cartoons like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.

I think a lot of people had in mind that this collection would basically be Golden Collection Volume 7. But in reality the value proposition here seems to be "Hey look, some of your favorite Looney Tunes, now in HD!" So DVD does not apply.

Only benift of blu-ray for old TV stuff I would think is that you could include more content per disc. And not make HD transfer out of it.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

pablo

Postby pablo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Bradskey wrote: Some old TV shows and TV cartoons can't really benefit much from blu-ray anyway.

Did you see The Twilight Zone in HD? Looks awesome. Sure, stuff that was not filmed but videotaped, like most 1980s-90s series probably couldn't benefit much if at all from being transferred to Blu-ray, but if anything is on actual film, it'll look great, much better than DVD, given proper restoration and HD transfer.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:Alternate audio tracks for "A Witch's Tangled Hare", "Hare-way to the Stars", "Kiss Me Cat", "Feline Frame-Up", "Ducking the Devil", and "From A to Z-Z-Z-Z"? I take it that means music only audio tracks? If so, awesome. That's something new the Golden Collections/Super-Stars sets didn't have.

And it seems some of the audio tracks I listed that I once thought weren't going to be included (Bewitched Bunny music track) will be included after all! :D

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 am

Wait... WHAT?! The bonus cartoons alone make me want to buy this set. I can't believe they're actually releasing Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension!

By the by, can anyone make a list to show which cartoons/features have already been on DVD? (BB/DD Super Stars don't count).

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Blob55 wrote:By the by, can anyone make a list to show which cartoons/features have already been on DVD? (BB/DD Super Stars don't count).

Gladly! :D

Disc 1:
Shorts:
Hare Tonic - LTGC 3
Baseball Bugs - LTGC 1
Buccaneer Bunny - LTGC 5
The Old Grey Hare - LTGC 5
Rabbit Hood - LTGC
8 Ball Bunny - LTGC 4
Rabbit Of Seville - LTGC 1
What's Opera, Doc? - LTGC 2
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery - LTGC 2
A Pest In The House - LTGC 5
The Scarlet Pumpernickel - LTGC 1
Duck Amuck - LTGC 1
Robin Hood Daffy - LTGC 3
Baby Bottleneck - LTGC 2
Kitty Kornered - LTGC 2
Scaredy Cat - LTGC 1
Porky Chops - LTGC 1
Oold Glory - LTGC 2
A Tale Of Two Kitties - LTGC 5
Tweetie Pie - LTGC 2
Fast and Furry-ous - LTGC 1
Beep, Beep - LTGC 2
Lovehorn Leghorn - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
For Scent-imental Reasons - LTGC 1
Speedy Gonzales - LTGC 1
Commentaries:
Baseball Bugs by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
Buccaneer Bunny by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
The Old Grey Hare by Filmmaker Greg Ford -LTGC 5
Rabbit Hood by Director Eric Goldberg - LTGC 4
8 Ball Bunny by Historian Jerry Beck - LTGC 4
Rabbit of Seville by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
What’s Opera, Doc? by Director Chuck Jones, Writer Michael Maltese and Layout Artist Maurice Noble - LTGC 2
What’s Opera, Doc? by Historian Daniel Goldmark - LTGC 2
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery by Director John Kricfalusi with Director Bob Clampett - LTGC 2
A Pest in the House by Writer Paul Dini -LTGC 5
The Scarlet Pumpernickel by Historian Michael Barrier with Voice Actor Mel Blanc - LTGC 1
Duck Amuck by Historian Michael Barrier with Director Chuck Jones - LTGC 1
Robin Hood Daffy by Director Eric Goldberg - LTGC 3
Baby Bottleneck by Historian Michael Barrier with Director Bob Clampett - LTGC 2
Kitty Kornered by Historian Michael Barrier - LTGC 2
Scaredy Cat by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
Old Glory by Historian Jerry Beck and Ink-and-Paint Girl Martha Sigall - LTGC 2
A Tale of Two Kitties by Historian Michael Barrier with Director Bob Clampett - LTGC 5
Tweetie Pie by Filmmaker Greg Ford with Director Friz Freleng - LTGC 2
Fast and Furry-ous by Historian Michael Barrier with Writer Michael Maltese and Sound Editor Treg Brown - LTGC 1
Beep, Beep by Historian Michael Barrier - LTGC 2
For Scent-imental Reasons by and Historian Michael Barrier with Writer Michael Maltese - LTGC 1
Speedy Gonzales by Historian Jerry Beck - LTGC 1
Alternate Audio Programs:
What’s Opera, Doc? Music-Only Track - LTGC 2
What’s Opera, Doc? Voice Actor Mel Blanc and Voice Actor Arthur Q. Bryan Vocal Track - LTGC 2
The Scarlet Pumpernickel Music-Only Track - LTGC 1
Duck Amuck Music-Only Track - LTGC 1
Robin Hood Daffy Music-Only Track - LTGC 3
Speedy Gonzales Music-Only Track - LTGC 1
Special Features:
Wagnerian Wabbit: The Making of What's Opera, Doc? - LTGC 4
Twilight in Tunes: The Music of Raymond Scott - LTGC 4
Powerhouse in Pictures - LTGC 4
Putty Problems and Canary Rows - LTGC 1
A Chuck Jones Tutorial: Tricks of the Cartoon Trade - LTGC 5
The Charm of Stink: On the Scent of Pepé le Pew - LTGC 3

Disc 2:
Shorts:
One Froggy Evening - LTGC 2
Three Little Bops - LTGC 2
I Love To Singa - LTGC 2
Katnip Kollege - LTGC 2
The Dover Boys at Pimento University - LTGC 2
Chow Hound - LTGC 6
Haredevil Hare - LTGC 1
The Hasty Hare - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
Duck Dodgers In The 24½th Century - LTGC 1
Hare-Way To The Stars -NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
Mad As A Mars Hare - LTSS BB (Hopefully in Full Screen for the first time on a digital format)
Devil May Hare - LTGC 1
Bedevilled Rabbit - LTSS BB (Hopefully in Full Screen for the first time on a digital format)
Ducking The Devil - LTSS DD (Hopefully in Full Screen for the first time on a digital format)
Bill Of Hare - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare - LTSS BB (Hopefully in Full Screen for the first time on a digital format)
Bewitched Bunny - LTGC 5
Broom-Stick Bunny - LTGC 2
A Witch's Tangled Hare - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
A-Haunting We Will Go - LTGC 4
Feed The Kitty - LTGC 1
Kiss Me Cat - LTGC 4
Feline Frame-Up - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
From A To Z-z-z-z - WB Academy Awards Animation Collection 3-Disc set
Boyhood Daze - LTGC 6
Commentaries:
One Froggy Evening by Historian Michael Barrier with Director Chuck Jones, Writer Michael Maltese, Layout Artist Maurice Noble and
Layout Artist Corny Cole - LTGC 2
Three Little Bops by Historian Jerry Beck and Voice Actor Stan Freberg - LTGC 2
I Love to Singa by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
The Dover Boys at Pimento University by Historian Michael Barrier with Layout Artist John McGrew, Background Artist Paul Julian and
Background Artist Gene Fleury - LTGC 2
Chow Hound by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
Haredevil Hare by Historian Michael Barrier with Background Artist Pete Alvarado - LTGC 1
Duck Dodgers in the 24 ½th Century by Historian Michael Barrier with Layout Artist Maurice Noble - LTGC 1
Devil May Hare by Historian Jerry Beck - LTGC 1
Bewitched Bunny by Director Eric Goldberg - LTGC 5
Broom-Stick Bunny by Voice Actor June Foray - LTGC 2
Feed the Kitty by Filmmaker Greg Ford - LTGC 1
From A to Z-z-z-z by Author Amid Amidi - WB Academy Awards Animation Collection 3-Disc set
From A to Z-z-z-z by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
Boyhood Daze by Director Eric Goldberg - NEW!
Alternate Audio Programs:
One Froggy Evening Music-Only - LTGC 2
The Three Little Bops Music-Only - LTGC 2
The Three Little Bops Vocals-Only - LTGC 2
Hare-way to the Stars (unknown at this point) - NEW!
Ducking The Devil (unknown at this point) - NEW!
Bewtiched Bunny Music and Effects-Only - LTGC 5
Broom-Stick Bunny Music-Only - LTGC 2
A Witch's Tangled Hare (unknown at this point) - NEW!
Feed The Kitty Music-Only - LTGC 1
Kiss Me Cat (unknown at this point) - NEW!
Feline Frame-Up (unknown at this point) - NEW!
From A to Z-z-z-z (unknown at this point) - NEW!
Boyhood Daze Music-Only - LTGC 6
Special Features:
It Hopped One Night: The Story Behind One Froggy Evening - LTGC 2
Wacky Warner One-Shots - LTGC 5
Mars Attacks! Life on the Red Planet with My Favorite Martian - NEW!
Razzma-Taz: Giving the Tasmanian Devil His Due - NEW!
The Ralph Phillips Story: Living the American Daydream - NEW!

Disc 3:
Special Features:
A Greeting From Chuck Jones - LTGC 1
Chuck Amuck: The Movie - LTGC 3
Chuck Jones: Extremes & In-Betweens, A Life In Animation - LTGC 5
Chuck Jones: Memories Of Childhood - Tom and Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection
The Animated World Of Chuck Jones (9 Cartoons):
Point Rationing of Foods - LTGC 3
Hell-Bent for Election - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
So Much for So Little - LTGC 2
Orange Blossoms for Violet -LTGC 2
A Hitch in Time - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
90 Day Wondering -LTGC 4
Drafty, Isn't It? - LTGC 4
The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics - WB Academy Awards Animation Collection (Single Disc and 3-Disc sets)
The Bear That Wasn't - LTGC 3
How The Grinch Stole Chirstmas! Pencil Test - How The Grinch Stole Christmas! DVD(s)
The Door - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
Bonus Cartoons (9 Cartoons):
Fright Before Christmas - LTGC 5
Spaced-Out- Bunny - LTGC 5
Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24 1/2th Century - Daffy Duck's Quackbusters
Another Froggy Evening - Space Jam 2-Disc SE
Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
Superior Duck - Daffy Duck's Quackbusters
From Hare to Eternity - The Looney, Looney, Looney, Bugs Bunny Movie
Father of the Bird - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format!
Museum Scream - NEW! First Time on a Digital Format (in the US)!

WHEW!! And there you have it!

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:39 pm

I find it interesting that WHV want to rush out the 80's/90's/00's LT's cartoons. When GC was being made, there was never that much concern for them.

Mark J

Postby Mark J » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Shocked to see Lovelorn Leghorn, one of the best of the Foghorns, unfortunately neglected by the LTGCs. It is too bad that the great early Foghorns like that one didn't make it to the Foghorn SuperStars disc instead of those 5 non-Foghorn shorts. That short alone makes this set tempting because it hasn't even turned up on CN's recent runs and is one of only a couple of Foghorns I don't have in any format, maybe in the future when I have an HDTV and a BlueRay player and the price drops.

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 pm

At first, I was tempted to pass on this release, since it's so many double-dips from the Golden Collections and I've been quite the stubborn DVD hanger-onner. But upon realizing the way the home video market winds are blowing, I've finally decided to buy a Blu-Ray player this year, and after reading that list of special features, I really can't pass this up anymore. I love audio commentaries, and Eric Goldberg's in particular are always a hoot, plus there's a lot of rare stuff like "Hell-Bent for Election" and "The Door" that I've been wanting to see for a while. And the handful of new cartoons are well-worth the price of admission, I'd say. I've been waiting eight years for "The Hasty Hare", the most underrated Marvin the Martian cartoon, to come to a digital home video format, and now here it is! Plus, there's "Lovelorn Leghorn" and "Feline Frame-Up", two more of my favorites. Bring 'em on!
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

Ratso

Postby Ratso » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:04 am

Toonatic wrote:Alternate Audio Programs:
One Froggy Evening Music-Only - LTGC 2
The Three Little Bops Music-Only - LTGC 2
The Three Little Bops Vocals-Only - LTGC 2
Hare-way to the Stars (unknown at this point) - NEW!
Ducking The Devil (unknown at this point) - NEW!

Thanks a ton, Toonatic! But what does "unknown at this point" mean? That you're unsure whether the alternate audio will be included, or just unsure of its nature.

This release will probably force me to buy a blu-ray DVD player, too, to hook up to my current TV just so I can watch the Platinum Collection. I do hope they don't cut it short like they did with the LTGCs.

Re VHS: I am lucky enough to live near Le Video, which must be the biggest video store in the country after the NYC biggies shut down (4 times as many DVD titles as Netflix and all the Warner Archive made-to-orders as they're released). They have also kept all the VHS titles that aren't available digitally. Recently I have rented VHS films like Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie, Paul Morrissey's Forty Deuce, The World's Greatest Sinner, Last Summer and the uncut I, Claudius. With the money I'll save renting the LT Platinum Collection, I can buy a 1080p player and upgrade the TV down the road.

Funnily enough, we sold all our old commercial VHS tapes at a garage sale in June. Young and old snapped them up at a quarter a pop. Must really be tough times.
Ratso~~

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:34 am

I think it makes sense to have the double-dips because then potential Blu-Ray owners with no knowledge of Golden Collection sets can experience what they've missed...but that's my opinion. Also, wouldn't you want to re-watch these shorts in a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better quality?
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”