Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Blu-Ray

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
trondmm

Postby trondmm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 am

(DISCLAIMER: All numbers are still completely made up)

Aaaand... using these new restoration costs, the cost for the Platinum Collection is now:

Disc 1:
Restoration: 9 * 30,000 + 1 * $50,000 = $320,000
Menus++: $50,000
Glass master: $50,000
Printing startup costs: $50,000
Total: $470,000

Disc 2:
Restoration: 4 * $30,000 + 6 * $50,000 = $420,000
Total: $570,000

Disc 3:
Content: $500,000
Total: $650,000

Total for the entire set: $1,690,000

If you produce 100,000 copies, the cost for the discs and covers are:

discs: 3 * 1¢ * 100,000 = $3,000
cover: 97¢ * 100,000 = $97,000
Total: $100,000

Full production cost for 100,000 sets: $1,790,000
Cost per set: $17.90

Now, with 100,000 or 300,000 extra copies of the first disc, production costs will be reduced with $235,000 or $352,500 respectively, resulting in a price per set of $14.55 or $13.38

Boy Wonder

Postby Boy Wonder » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:52 am

While I haven't seen the Amazon link yet, there is apparently another LT BD release in the works: essentially just the first disc of the new Platinum set being released for individual sale at a discount (MSRP: $24.98). Just thought I may have wanted to share that with you.
:ysam:Open the bridge varmint, open it I say....

CLOSE IT CLOSE IT, CLOSE IT UP AGAIN....:ysam:

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 am

Boy Wonder wrote:While I haven't seen the Amazon link yet, there is apparently another LT BD release in the works: essentially just the first disc of the new Platinum set being released for individual sale at a discount (MSRP: $24.98). Just thought I may have wanted to share that with you.

Thank you for sharing what the previous 20 posts has been about.

(Don't take it personally, I'm generally annoyed at anyone that treats forums as write-only)

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:04 am

Well, THAT was stuck-up and uncalled for. Who died and made YOU king of the forums?
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:I DID on purpose ignore restoration factor simply because as my arguement was supposed to sole from customer point of view.
But you make the fatal flaw of presuming that all customers are like you - namely interested in owning as many Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies as possible.

BY DEFINITION, the casual buyer is just that - "casual." They DON'T care about owning lots and lots of Looney Tunes. They only want a few. They aren't interested in a cost-per-cartoon comparison, because they are more interested in the total cost of the package.

To use your Coca-Cola analogy. At my former place of employment, I used to watch people feed $1.25 into a vending machine several times every day to buy a single can of Coca-Cola at a time.

These people could have gone to the local supermarket and purchased a 12-pack of Coke in cans for about $4.00. That works out to $0.33 per can.

Are they being "ripped off?" I don't think so. They know darn well that Coca-Cola is cheaper if they buy it in quantity, but they CHOOSE to buy it in a more expensive format because they only want one at a time.

Your desire to see WBHV release a different set of titles in the Platinum Collection and the Showcase Collection makes sense only for hard core collectors.

It makes NO sense for WBHV.

As I and others have shown you, it costs WBHV virtually pennies to convert one or two of the Platinum discs to Showcase discs. They make substantially more profit per Showcase disc that way. To create a Showcase disc of all-new titles would cost them considerably more money. They would gain zero new casual buyers.

Yes, they would temporarily gain an increase in sales of a Showcase disc from the hard-core fans - but we would have bought those new titles the next time they released a Platinum Collection. And in the long run, it would cut down on the number of Platinum Collections they could offer (if they eliminate double dipping), thereby resulting in lower total sales.

So the bottom line for the corporation is that they do not really increase the sales of these discs - over the course of releasing their entire cartoon library. All they would do is cut down their net profit.

Their goal is not really to make everything in their vaults available. Their goal is to make a profit!

If you want to be upset about something, it makes far more sense to be upset about the huge percentage of double-dipping on the Platinum Collection itself. It has a pretty high price tag to get - what? - six to nine new-to-video titles?

I'm still not convinced that the "ultra high definition" of Blu-Ray means all that much when talking about these properties. After all, even with DVD, the resolution is so good we can now see flaws in cel painting and dust/dirt that was photographed. Does having even more flaws in the source material exposed like this really add all that much to the viewing experience of these cartoons?
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:56 am

FleischerFan wrote:
I'm still not convinced that the "ultra high definition" of Blu-Ray means all that much when talking about these properties. After all, even with DVD, the resolution is so good we can now see flaws in cel painting and dust/dirt that was photographed. Does having even more flaws in the source material exposed like this really add all that much to the viewing experience of these cartoons?

Please, don't try to justify yourself not wanting to spend the cost of a BD player (which is fully respectable) putting the blame on us who are not utterly ignorant of the benefits of higher resolution, available space (which means higher possible bitrate, which means better quality, both audio and video), etc. I can assure you, that even with a SD TV, you'd notice better picture quality.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:55 am

matiasdf wrote:Please, don't try to justify yourself not wanting to spend the cost of a BD player...
Please don't try to impute motives to me when you don't know the first thing about me.

I DO own an Blu-Ray player. So I wasn't justifying squat. I was expressing my opinion.

I also own an HD television. With that HD television what I have noticed in many of the older classic cartoons I have watched is that defects in cel painting and dirt/dust that were not noticeable in lower def modes are now clearly discernible. This improved clarity has not made me enjoy a single cartoon one iota more than I enjoyed it prior to obtaining an HD TV.

matiasdf wrote:...putting the blame on us who are not utterly ignorant of the benefits of higher resolution, available space (which means higher possible bitrate, which means better quality, both audio and video), etc.
How could you possibly construe my previous comment as "blaming" anybody? Blame for what?

I am simply mystified as to how you could make such a hugely illogical leap based on my statement that I don't personally find Blu-Ray to add that much to my indvidual enjoyment of classic cartoons.:confused:
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Ratso

Postby Ratso » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:08 am

FleischerFan wrote:I don't personally find Blu-Ray to add that much to my indvidual enjoyment of classic cartoons.

To each their own, but I can't imagine anyone not appreciating the difference when watching a Blu-Ray DVD of a live-action motion picture. It's truly stunning!
Ratso~~

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:29 am

Ratso wrote:To each their own, but I can't imagine anyone not appreciating the difference when watching a Blu-Ray DVD of a live-action motion picture. It's truly stunning!
But then my comment was not about live action pictures.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Well I do every Walt era movie that has been released on Blu-ray and the quilty is stung much better than the DVD conterpart. Then its remains to be seen how picture quality is on this platinum line vs golden collection but I'm pretty sure its an imporovement.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”