"The Essential Daffy Duck" on DVD November 1!

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm

oceansoul wrote:Still no Daffy Doodles. One of my favourites, and one of the bests, and to this day there are only sh.tty copies around. \:

The one in the GAOLT laserdisc (number 1 if I remember correctly) is pretty good.
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:The one in the GAOLT laserdisc (number 1 if I remember correctly) is pretty good.

Yes, because everyone has a laserdisc player. :/

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Blob55 wrote:Yes, because everyone has a laserdisc player. :/

You said there are "not good" around. That is good and is around:)

Greg Method

Postby Greg Method » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 am

Hey, it's about time for yet another update on the contents!

This is all coming direct from the back of the packaging: Disc 2 is the same as last updated but with one addition, 2004's "Daffy Duck for President" (billed on the box as a "bonus short," yet!).

The packaging also reveals the special features, though it doesn't make it clear on which disc each of these will appear. The lone newly produced feature is the "Daffy Duck: Ridicule is the Burden of Genius" character profile. Also included are both "Daffy Duck's Easter Special" and "Daffy Duck's Thanks-for-Giving Special."
SIGN THE MAKE THE ROCK HALL "WEIRD" PETITION TO GET WEIRD AL INDUCTED

The Bugs Bunny Video Guide - www.dohtem.com/bugs
All Things Yankovic - www.allthingsyank.com
Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - www.allthingsyank.com/rockhall

www.dohtem.com

Shemp

Postby Shemp » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 am

Greg Method wrote:This is all coming direct from the back of the packaging: Disc 2 is the same as last updated but with one addition, 2004's "Daffy Duck for President" (billed on the box as a "bonus short," yet!).

The packaging also reveals the special features, though it doesn't make it clear on which disc each of these will appear. The lone newly produced feature is the "Daffy Duck: Ridicule is the Burden of Genius" character profile. Also included are both "Daffy Duck's Easter Special" and "Daffy Duck's Thanks-for-Giving Special."

From Amazon's listing...

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 am

Apparently, Daffy Duck's Thanks-For-Giving special contains some of "His Bitter Half". Anybody know how much of that cartoon makes the cut? I would think a lot of it, since the special doesn't seem to cram nearly as many cartoons into it as some do, but I'd be interested to know.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 am

Speedy Boris wrote:Apparently, Daffy Duck's Thanks-For-Giving special contains some of "His Bitter Half". Anybody know how much of that cartoon makes the cut? I would think a lot of it, since the special doesn't seem to cram nearly as many cartoons into it as some do, but I'd be interested to know.

From what I recall, it is pretty much the entire cartoon (sans opening/closing titles, of course). The special also contains the full-length version of "Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24 1/2th Century" with the additional footage that was trimmed from the more common stand-alone version.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

I wasn't sure at first, but now I'm buying this for the Daffy Duck's Thanks-For-Giving Special with the uncut version of Duck Dodgers In The Return Of The 24th 1/2 Century! :D

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 am

Duck Dodgers wrote:You said there are "not good" around. That is good and is around:)

Not to argue, but there are quite a few flea markets, Goodwill Stores, and used video stores aroudn where I live, and I don't once ever recall seeing any used laserdiscs at any of these places. It doesn't make much difference to me, since I don't own a laserdisc player, but it is something interesting to point out. On occasion I have seen some used Beta tapes.

And I wonder what the point of listing "Daffy Duck for President" as a "bonus toon" on the bonus disc is.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:25 pm

speedy fast wrote:And I wonder what the point of listing "Daffy Duck for President" as a "bonus toon" on the bonus disc is.

To fool casual buyers they're getting more for their buck.

Plus, the whole "voting for the next President" thing is on people's minds, so I can see why they included it, even if it was already on DVD.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”