"The Essential Daffy Duck" on DVD November 1!

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:38 am

I'm BUYING this, almost for sure (a GREAT chance to own Porky's Duck Hunt, in spanish and hopefully restored!)

If Jerry can confirm that Porky's Duck Hunt will be a restored print, then i'll be buying this.

BTW, I'm SO GLAD WB finally brought spanish audio back to their releases! Now if this was BD...

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm a little worried that "Porky's Duck Hunt" will not be restored since this is a budget set and not a more formal set like the "Golden Collection" series.

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:09 pm

nickramer wrote:I'm a little worried that "Porky's Duck Hunt" will not be restored since this is a budget set and not a more formal set like the "Golden Collection" series.

What I'm worried about is that it could be the colorized version (which I already have in my own "archives"). An unrestored black and white cartoon that is well preserved can still look great (take for instance Porky's Hare Hunt when it aired in it's black and white form on Cartoon Network back in April). I reinterate, a 35mm black and white cartoon can still look fairly good. I assume that's what they're gonna use, but I've also noticed that Warners is weary about releasing black and white material anymore, which lead me wondering. Then again, there are some double dips of black and white cartoons on here anyways. I don't know:confused:
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 pm

I can assure you, they'll use the B&W print. No one uses a colorize print of a B&W film/cartoon for DVD anymore (except those PD companies).

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Toonatic wrote:I can assure you, they'll use the B&W print. No one uses a colorize print of a B&W film/cartoon for DVD anymore (except those PD companies).

Not to put you down, but how do you know that? When I say colorized, I don't mean the redrawn ones the PD companies put out (they would have to, thankfully, go into the vaults and the family divison doesn't wanna do that anymore). I meant the computer colorized ones which are good and if I want to see them in black and white, you can turn the color off and you can't tell the differnece. That is an encouraging word that the major studios don't wanna release colorized versions anymore, but I kinda want proof. Again I'm not arguing with you; I'm just a guy that wants to know everything:D
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:54 pm

I forgot thet they might put up a computer colorized copy. But how can you turn off the color on television or a computer? I don't think that's possible on modern devices. I also heard that even if you can turn off the color, the shading still wouldn't match the ones on an original black and white print (although the person who said this isn't a member here anymore).

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:14 am

I could be very wrong but... You REALLY think WB would be THAT cheap to just use the old VHS print?

I think that this will be either a new restored B&W print, or the computer colorized version. Kill me if you want, but i'd rather have the computer colorized print than an unrestored B&W one!

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:11 am

Thinking about it some more... maybe I'll do the same as I did for Essential Bugs and give my mom the first disc as a gift. AFAIK she doesn't have very many Daffy cartoons in her collection, and the first disc contains a lot of good ones, some of which she'd probably remember (Duck Amuck, Duck Dodgers).

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:53 pm

I remember seen "Porky's Duck Hunt" in B&W ages ago but the print was misfire because of the speed-up. I hope it will be in a proper B&W print.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:40 pm

It was a PAL-NTSC master. It's been commonly used in documentaries such as Roger Rabbit and The Secrets of ToonTown and The Man From Wackyland: The Art Of Bob Clampett. Warner Bros. knows better to not use that for the DVD.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”