"The Essential Daffy Duck" on DVD November 1!

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
Sean Gaffney

Postby Sean Gaffney » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:07 am

It's not a bad Essential for the casual collector, but I'll wait till Jerry announces whatever he's going to announce at SDCC. I hope that Porky's Duck Hunt would be on that as well. No sense only putting it on this family-oriented collection.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:27 am

"My Little Duckaroo" should not be included in this collection.
"Dripalong Daffy" is faaaaar superior.

I wonder if "Porky's Duck Hunt" will be restored. Jerry many times said that he wanted the title to be in one of the Golden Collections but that it was not included because the cost to restore it was extremely high than that for other shorts.
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 am

Greg Method wrote:Disc 2 – DAFFY DUCK VAULT

1. DAFFY DUCK SHOW opening.

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

I know, it doesn't take much to get me excited sometimes.

But some of these "little scraps" are the kind of things that can (and sometimes do) get lost and/or overlooked over the years, while the classic cartoons themselves are (mostly) safely preserved.

Next question, which version? If I recall correctly, the original 1978 version of The Daffy Duck Show opening (under that title, before the title was changed to The Daffy/Speedy Show) had Casey Kasem's voice on it and consisted primarily of cartoon clips -- suggesting it may have been created by NBC and not Warner Bros. (?)

Got to look for the small joys sometimes...

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:00 am

Matthew Hunter wrote:This certainly isn't a bad lineup. But there's just too much double-dipping to justify me buying it.

What might seal the deal for me is if they add the 1996 "Marvin the Martian in the 3rd Dimension" short that was shown in WB Studio stores...I never got to see that, and it's never been released to DVD.

I was thinking the same thing, because I couldn't find it anywhere online.

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 am

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up on this -- I see it's not listed in the later version, so it might not be on there at all. Oh well.

MarkTheShark wrote:YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

I know, it doesn't take much to get me excited sometimes.

But some of these "little scraps" are the kind of things that can (and sometimes do) get lost and/or overlooked over the years, while the classic cartoons themselves are (mostly) safely preserved.

Next question, which version? If I recall correctly, the original 1978 version of The Daffy Duck Show opening (under that title, before the title was changed to The Daffy/Speedy Show) had Casey Kasem's voice on it and consisted primarily of cartoon clips -- suggesting it may have been created by NBC and not Warner Bros. (?)

Got to look for the small joys sometimes...

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 am

This is what happens when the family division takes over, they don't give us what we want.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:18 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:"My Little Duckaroo" should not be included in this collection.
"Dripalong Daffy" is faaaaar superior.

I agree that Dripalong Daffy has a better mix of verbal and visual humor, I don't get why almost everyone dislikes "My Little Duckaroo." I always found it funny.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Possibly because Drip Along is a classic (it even made the 100 Greatest Looney Tunes book). I have no problems with My Little Duckaroo either, but it's just Drip Along would make a perfect addition to this release.

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:37 pm

King Delbert wrote:This is what happens when the family division takes over, they don't give us what we want.

Yeah. >: (
I also don't get why there seem to be so many Duck Dodgers related cartoons on Disc 2, yet no Return of...

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Vdubdavid wrote:I agree that Dripalong Daffy has a better mix of verbal and visual humor, I don't get why almost everyone dislikes "My Little Duckaroo." I always found it funny.

To me, almost every Chuck Jones' shorts of the 50s is a hit. "My Little Duckaroo", for me, is one great exception.There's too much talk and no particular visual humor at all.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”