Complete Casper (theatrical toons and 63 series) coming to DVD!!

It's cartoon news worth reading! Read about the latest TV highlights, DVD releases, and much more!
MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:46 am

drmark7 wrote:I could order online, but made a sweep today locally of Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart. Figured with it being Halloween a CASPER set would be all over, but found it nowhere. Has anyone seen the CASPER set at a brick and mortar store?

I took one for the team and bought it at Barnes & Noble, just so I didn't have to order it online. The store I went to only had one copy, and I haven't seen it on the shelves anywhere else. But I haven't exactly been scouring the area for it, either. But like you said, with Halloween approaching I would have thought this would be all over the place.

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:03 am

Y'know, this memory just occurred to me, we had a local station in Chicago which started running the Harveytoons in 1976 in a one-hour timeslot under the title "Casper The Ghost." They used the New Casper Cartoon Show opening and closing, but freeze-framed them before the show title comes on, superimposing their own "Casper The Ghost" title and the station's logo beneath it. Initially, when they started running them, they were in a one-hour timeslot, and I don't know why I remember this, but the very first cartoon they showed was "A Visit From Mars" -- which is also the first cartoon on the DVD set. And from my foggy memories, I seem to recall them starting off with a made-for-TV Casper, a Modern Madcap, maybe another made-for-TV Casper, and then some theatrical Harveytoons -- usually the made-for-TV ones would appear early in the show and the theatricals later. I was gonna say I'm just wondering if these were being shown in their original sequence or whatever -- but now that I'm thinking about it, didn't the original New Casper Cartoon Show start off with a Modern Madcap, then a made-for-TV Casper and then another Modern Madcap? The other oddity is that I have seen prints of the Modern Madcaps with the Paramount logo replaced with a show-specific title card, so it ultimately reads "The New Casper Cartoon Show presents a Modern Madcap" -- yet I have no memory of seeing that title card back then. If you would have asked me I would have said they probably had the usual "Harvey Films" logo, but now I'm not so sure. Apropos of nothing, I guess, but this kind of jogged my memory. The Modern Madcaps aren't on this set anyway, but most of them are on the previous Harveytoons collection.

Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 am

I don't think this set is too bad. I kind of expected Classic Media to really drop the ball on what sources they provided WRT Harveytoons, so I'm just hoping they do a lot better job with Underdog. While the extra features, the Mark Arnold commentaries and the documentary, are nice, frankly the Herman & Katnip set is no worse than this Casper set, especially for the price. Basically getting the same quality of release without any extras. So if you want all the Casper cartoons then this is the set to buy, and get the cat and mouse too, cuz it ain't getting any better than this any time soon.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:25 am

Did you try Barnes and Noble.

Incidentally, Amazon has this title Under Review. But you can still buy it through the New and Used sections.

Ken Layton

Postby Ken Layton » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 am

We have a Barnes & Noble store here in Olympia, but I honestly never thought of going in there. It's been ages since I have been in this particular location. The traffic there is a nightmare and it's a real pain to get in and out of their parking lot.

drmark7

Amazon: "There May Be Something Wrong..." What???

Postby drmark7 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:03 am

Toonatic wrote:Incidentally, Amazon has this title Under Review. But you can still buy it through the New and Used sections.

Wonder what's up with this message??? (for the new CASPER dvd set...)

Item Under Review // While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!) // We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Bradskey

Postby Bradskey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 am

I got my copy from Amazon and it's just fine, not a thing wrong with it. Can't imagine there were many real complaints given the sales rank and small number of (all glowing) reviews.

Ken Layton

Postby Ken Layton » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm

I ordered mine in-store at Best Buy with a gift card. My copy just arrived today. So far it seems fine.

The interviews with Bradley Bolke are part of the documentary on disc three.

It looks to me like all of the New Casper Cartoon Show elements are from 16mm. My favorite is City Snicker because of all the great Winston Sharples music in it.

Ken Layton

Postby Ken Layton » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 pm

"The Bored Billionaire" looks like the color has faded a bit.

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Unfortunately, many of the "The New Casper Cartoon Show" episodes show their age more than the rest of the cartoons, which is a pity, because they are easily the highlight of this collection. While not brilliantly written or animated, they offer far more variety in their plots than the theatrical shorts, and often feature Casper's supporting cast from the comics: Spooky, the Ghostly Trio, Wendy the Good Little Witch and Nightmare the horse. Fans of the Harvey Comics version of Casper will especially enjoy this disc.

Return to “GAC News and Reviews”